Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 10:25 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
How many is 'a lot'?
A higher percentage than has gotten Covid nationally. Last I checked, I think 14.8% of her county has been infected, and I'm certain their testing has been poor. This has also been in a relatively short window of time, as they are very, very far from any of the early epicenters.

Quote:
Also, what does your aunt mean when she says it is a hoax? Does she think COVID doesn't exist at all, or something else?
She thinks it exists, but I think she thinks it really is no more dangerous than the flu. She thinks the entire notion of a pandemic has been overblown, and she probably thinks our uncle didn't really die of Covid (not certain of that last point, but I have had another family member say that she said something to that effect).

Quote:
Are you just assuming people in that county are misinformed, or do you go around asking everyone their stance on COVID and the vaccine, etc..?
I'm from that county. It is not an exaggeration to say that I probably know 10% of the county. A 25% vaccination rate is ipso facto proof that they are misinformed. But I also visited last summer, when Covid was raging. There was nary a mask to be seen. It's hard to argue that they aren't misinformed if they refuse to wear masks at the height of the pandemic and refuse to get vaccines despite having worse numbers than the nation as a whole (and the state in general has perhaps been hit harder by Delta than any other state).

Is it a surprise that this county went 80%+ for Trump both times? This is not a coincidence.

It's strange that you're arguing with me over this when you don't even know what county I'm talking about.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:17 PM

115 posts, read 63,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
A higher percentage than has gotten Covid nationally. Last I checked, I think 14.8% of her county has been infected, and I'm certain their testing has been poor. This has also been in a relatively short window of time, as they are very, very far from any of the early epicenters.

She thinks it exists, but I think she thinks it really is no more dangerous than the flu. She thinks the entire notion of a pandemic has been overblown, and she probably thinks our uncle didn't really die of Covid (not certain of that last point, but I have had another family member say that she said something to that effect).

I'm from that county. It is not an exaggeration to say that I probably know 10% of the county. A 25% vaccination rate is ipso facto proof that they are misinformed. But I also visited last summer, when Covid was raging. There was nary a mask to be seen. It's hard to argue that they aren't misinformed if they refuse to wear masks at the height of the pandemic and refuse to get vaccines despite having worse numbers than the nation as a whole (and the state in general has perhaps been hit harder by Delta than any other state).

Is it a surprise that this county went 80%+ for Trump both times? This is not a coincidence.

It's strange that you're arguing with me over this when you don't even know what county I'm talking about.
They don’t sound misinformed to me. Just rightfully skeptical and also have a higher risk tolerance than you. All of us have varying degrees of skepticism and risk. I don’t get why you think your level of skepticism and I’m risk is the “right” one.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
They don’t sound misinformed to me. Just rightfully skeptical and also have a higher risk tolerance than you. All of us have varying degrees of skepticism and risk. I don’t get why you think your level of skepticism and I’m risk is the “right” one.
Risk level has nothing to do with it. The risk from Covid is objectively higher. There's no argument to the contrary.

But I don't go back-and-forth with anti-vaxxers, evolution deniers, holocaust deniers or flat earthers, so I'll let you have the last word.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Risk level has nothing to do with it. The risk from Covid is objectively higher. There's no argument to the contrary.

But I don't go back-and-forth with anti-vaxxers, evolution deniers, holocaust deniers or flat earthers, so I'll let you have the last word.
That works out because I don’t go back and forth with single-maskers or flu-deniers.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:58 AM

17 posts, read 17,346 times
Quote:
Gestures wildly to the 4 million+ people that have died during this pandemic.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seerideeleven View Post
Gestures wildly to the 4 million+ people that have died during this pandemic.
Gestures wildly to all the people who still aren't wearing face visors with double masks.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:43 AM

573 posts, read 336,298 times
Quote:

EDS_ suspected something was up, and I believe TC80 did too, with the poster.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:12 AM

What is the correct amount of risk I should be taking against COVID and what is the correct amount of skepticism should I have towards the leaders so that I am not labeled as misinformed or anti-vaxx?

Apparently there is only one correct answer to my question, because apparently me saying that people have varying degrees of risk and skepticism makes me anti-vaxx.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:30 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
No one argued to the contrary. The actual percentage value of the risk is irrelevant. Acceptability of risk and the marginal cost of mitigation are the two factors that go into decisionmaking. If it's below the threshold below you which you deem the risk acceptable, there is no need for further mitigation. You just assume the risk and move on.

Threshold: 0.01%
Unmitigated risk: 0.0001%
Mitigated risk: 0.000000001%

The difference between the unmitigated and mitigated number is irrelevant but the mitigated figure is MUCH smaller than the unmitigated.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
No one argued to the contrary. The actual percentage value of the risk is irrelevant. Acceptability of risk and the marginal cost of mitigation are the two factors that go into decisionmaking. If it's below the threshold below you which you deem the risk acceptable, there is no need for further mitigation. You just assume the risk and move on.

Threshold: 0.01%
Unmitigated risk: 0.0001%
Mitigated risk: 0.000000001%

The difference between the unmitigated and mitigated number is irrelevant but the mitigated figure is MUCH smaller than the unmitigated.
Yes, actually the other poster argued to the contrary. Did you read the post I was responding to? He has even followed up arguing that it is a matter of risk.

Your basic argument vis-a-vis risk assesment is that risks that are sufficiently low can be ignored. I agree. But that has nothing to do with this situation, as Covid is obviously not a risk that can be ignored. Its risk is not .0001% for unvaccinated people. 600k people in a country of 300 million have died. That's a .2% chance of death, and a much higher chance of serious sickness or hospitalization -- and that's just in a year or so. That's 2,000 times higher than .0001%.

I'm not sure if you're actually arguing that Covid presents such a small risk to unvaccinated people that the risk can be ignored or if you are just being argumentative for the sake of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas