Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 03:44 PM

25 posts, read 23,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Let’s all be A-holes and tell OP how he should culturally identify.....jeez.

OP, welcome to Dallas. $250k budget is below the median local home price but there are some solid areas to consider depending on where your job(s) are located. Commute times are not back to “normal” yet due to the large amount of work from home during the pandemic just FYI. You could look into Carrollton, Farmers Branch, East Richardson, or Garland and find quality schools in diverse neighborhoods. Garland ISD is open enrollment so you are not tied to your neighborhood school since you plan to rent first.
Who's OP? just kidding, thank you for the info, appreciate taking the time to write back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 03:49 PM

25 posts, read 23,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Op, we can help you much more if we know where your job will be. If working from home, look in the mid-cities of Hurst, Euless and Bedford. You’ll find decent schools, a good mix of homes that have some in your budget, and a nice diversity of middle class people.
Who's OP? KIdding, thank you for the info, thoughts on Irving, Grand Prairie?

Old 11-05-2020, 04:23 PM

125 posts, read 150,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristhianagui View Post
Hola folks, don't want to sound racist or nothing like that, is just that I been looking for info here but haven't found what I'm looking for.
Y'all () are probably tired of another moving question but here we go, looking to relocate with my family, tired of Ny, we live in the suburbs (Long Island) looking for a better life and Dallas seems to call our name for lots of reasons.
Again don't want to sound racist or stereotype but are there any good neighborhoods with a healthy mix of Latin/Americans? some areas here in NY where Latins seem to be the majority, seem to be on the low-income side therefore they have more crime and seem a bit more rundown.
I been doing some research and seems like the better areas are North Dallas like Plano, Allen also Grapevine, Irving, and Flower Mound just to name a few.
My kids are in 9 and 11 grade so good schools, good people(kids) and activities are def a Must but don't know if by being Latin they might have a hard time in school in some areas than others, here they have a healthy mix of races which seems to keep everybody happy, just a concern parent.

I also see that you can rent out condo-style appnts for a mth to a year so ideally, that sounds like a good plan while we get to know the areas and eventually buy a home with a 250k budget maybe a bit more, but naturally, we would like to get to a good area so they don't have to change school 5 times before we settle into our home, by the way, any recommendable RE agents?
any info is highly appreciated and gracias for your time
Maybe East Dallas by Bryan Adams high school or Lochwood.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:07 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristhianagui View Post
Who's OP? KIdding, thank you for the info, thoughts on Irving, Grand Prairie?
I work in Irving. The north part, Las Colinas, is very nice with lots of shopping and restaurants. The southern part has older homes and is lower income. Parts of south Irving have lots of Hispanic-oriented businesses. Schools in Irving ISD are ok, but not great.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:33 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Irving and Grand Prairie are both well located in the metro and have neighborhoods that offer some good values. But the schools, at the middle and high school levels, are generally not high performing compared to most of the suburban school districts. Both Irving and Grand Prairie have many Latinos and areas of high density Hispanics. But wherever you go in the metro you will find many! Budget, commute and schools will typically lead you to the right area. I wouldn’t even concern myself with ethnicity in the DFW area.

In the past, Irving had typically lower income areas in the Southern section (south of Hwy 183) but those lines have been blurring for quite some time now. There are lovely neighborhoods in the southern parts of Irving. Also new home construction near the center of Irving (which is south of 183). Don’t be afraid to look in South Irving (I own 2 houses there and the real estate appreciation is great) but be mindful that Irving schools are not highly rated. There are Charter school options, however......

Old 11-06-2020, 06:27 AM

42 posts, read 50,393 times
Welcome to Dallas. Can't add too much value besides there is a handball court in North Dallas and there are a few "NY" style pizzerias. Nothing like you can find in the 718 or 516 area codes though!

Old 11-06-2020, 07:12 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
How do you define a healthy mix of your group? As long as it's 15% or above then you should be fine in most of Texas. It's very unlikely that a Hispanic kid will be one of only handful of his or her kind in a public school in Texas. Your main challenge will be finding a house zoned to good schools - your budget which is quite low. Since your kids are above elementary age you might try focusing on areas with good high schools but mediocre MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: