Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 AM

198 posts, read 186,535 times

Advertisements

This is like a slap in my face after I (and others in this forum) just posted that the metroplex is generally a welcoming place to all people.

I held Plano in very high esteem. Two consecutive incidents have shattered my view of Plano:

1) Plano ISD Investigates racist bullying incident

2) 18 year old Plano teen arrested while walking home from work in the snow

It seems we really have a long way to go... so depressed....

Old 03-07-2021, 09:37 AM

19,775 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpushiys View Post
This is like a slap in my face after I (and others in this forum) just posted that the metroplex is generally a welcoming place to all people.

I held Plano in very high esteem. Two consecutive incidents have shattered my view of Plano:

I don't know anything about your item number 1.

Regarding number two in hindsight taking the young man home* or to the station and calling the parents - without booking the kid - might have been a better move. However, it was less than 10 degrees, pitch dark and the kid was dressed like he had been working out and he was certainly non-compliant in the legal sense. Had the cops let the kid go and he died on the way home or suffered serious injury, neither is far fetched given conditions (and FWIIW agitation can be sign of hypothermia), you can bet your life the kid's family would be suing right now and observers would be screaming.

*There's some indication the kid wouldn't/couldn't tell the police his home address.

If the young man was my kid I'd prefer he end up spending a night in jail over a very high risk walk home.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:39 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Gee I wonder If high school kids ever pick on each other.

Surely they don't beat each other up or start fights in Black or Hispanic neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:56 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Surely they don't beat each other up or start fights in Black or Hispanic neighborhoods.
Making someone drink urine goes beyond being picked on. You’re devaluing that person to subhuman. It’s not a laughing matter nor something to be sarcastic about.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 03-07-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-07-2021, 10:13 AM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Making someone drink urine goes beyond being picked on. Your devaluing that person to subhuman. It’s not a laughing matter nor something to be sarcastic about.
These 2 regularly have differing viewpoints on racism and racist incidents. From migrants looking for a better life are nothing more than dirty Mexican Covid spreaders to their beliefs that slavery was not the top reason for Texas seceding from the union. So it's really not a surprise they have no issue with these incidents. (For example, the teen walking home was wearing pants, not shorts like he came from working out. But that's how misinformation gets spread to make it look like the Black teen was a threat.)

Old 03-07-2021, 12:32 PM

198 posts, read 186,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
@Rakin.... I'm so sorry if they made kids drink urine and such in ur school.... but just so know - its not a regular high school kids picking on each other thing...
Some things we can just shrug a shoulder at. ..
Other things are wake up calls
This was one for me

Last edited by jpushiys; 03-07-2021 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-07-2021, 03:03 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpushiys View Post

For your first point, I would respectfully disagree with you. It was a truly despicable thing that happened to that kid, and I would like to think there will be some criminal charges or some sort of discipline (not a slap on the wrist either) coming down. But Plano ISD serves over 50,000 kids, the vast majority without incident. To project the actions of one incident to the whole district seems unfair.

As for the second one, well yeah I'm with you. By their own admission, the police said he was committing no crime, the call made to the police did not say any crime was being committed either, just that a kid was seen walking on the ice. Charging someone with some bs (later dropped) and putting him in jail doesnt seem like the first option that would come to mind for a "welfare check" on someone walking home on the ice.

Common sense would have been to speak on the phone with his parents, and then if possible, drop him at home (which was only a couple of blocks away according to the story). Not Plano PD's finest hour. That being said, I've never heard anyone say Plano PD is rough on minorities, at least not any rougher than any of the surrounding cities. Now if you want to see a problem PD, try driving through Highland Park.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:47 AM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
1) I can't get my head around this deal. It seems odd. If this boy had been bullied at school then why would he want to go to a sleepover with kids who were bullying him or why would his parents let him? These two questions have not been answered.

2) I had not heard about this guy walking down the road not dressed properly until now. Maybe the police should have simply given him a ride home.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:01 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
I'm still waiting to hear more about the first situation... we have friends with kids at Haggard. Apparently there wasn't a lot of information about the protest and it was held when kids were supposed to be let out of school, but parents weren't able to get their kids in the normal way, and they had no idea what was going on, they were just worried about their kids being put into a situation with an angry mob.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:34 AM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'm still waiting to hear more about the first situation... we have friends with kids at Haggard. Apparently there wasn't a lot of information about the protest and it was held when kids were supposed to be let out of school, but parents weren't able to get their kids in the normal way, and they had no idea what was going on, they were just worried about their kids being put into a situation with an angry mob.
There are two sides to every story. No one is going to support bullying/racism. We need to know all of the facts before jumping to conclusions in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas