Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 07:10 AM

400 posts, read 366,847 times

Advertisements

Can someone who knows this area elaborate? I am looking for a condo or townhome. I currently live near downtown Plano. The apt I live in is very very old and due to the location there are some transients, but I have never been robbed or had anything stolen. I am tired of apartment life and want a small home. I am a city worker so my income is $40,000 and as you know in Plano that won't get you very much. Although my salary is meager I managed to save up $50,000 in my bank account due to being frugal.

I was looking at different areas that won't be a huge commute but have affordable homes and happened to see this zipcode in Dallas. I see there are several places for sale. The inside of the condos looks nice but i am wondering why so many of them are so cheap.

Can anyone provide me any information about this particular area?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/75243_rb/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 08:07 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,976 times
That area or parts of it is the hood. Anything off of Forest lane

Old 03-24-2021, 08:35 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
The condo/apartment complexes in that area are notoriously high crime, and they have been this way for many years.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:43 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
I didn't think that the area north off Walnut Street, between Audelia and Abrams was the hood. I lived in that area many years ago and it was a very good area. I drove through it fairly recently (October 2020) and it's aged, but didn't seem that bad. The area borders Richardson, which is very well policed.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:50 AM

37 posts, read 38,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
Can someone who knows this area elaborate? I am looking for a condo or townhome. I currently live near downtown Plano. The apt I live in is very very old and due to the location there are some transients, but I have never been robbed or had anything stolen. I am tired of apartment life and want a small home. I am a city worker so my income is $40,000 and as you know in Plano that won't get you very much. Although my salary is meager I managed to save up $50,000 in my bank account due to being frugal.

I was looking at different areas that won't be a huge commute but have affordable homes and happened to see this zipcode in Dallas. I see there are several places for sale. The inside of the condos looks nice but i am wondering why so many of them are so cheap.

Can anyone provide me any information about this particular area?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/75243_rb/
A lot of the condos in that area are rented out to section 8 tenants. I'd stay away from anything near Richland College along Walnut. Still a high crime area. The Skillman/Audelia corridor north of LBJ isn't much better. Neither is anything along Forest. In this zipcode I think your best bet is going to be the Coppertowne area. Probably better off looking in Richardson proper if you can.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:35 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I didn't think that the area north off Walnut Street, between Audelia and Abrams was the hood. I lived in that area many years ago and it was a very good area. I drove through it fairly recently (October 2020) and it's aged, but didn't seem that bad. The area borders Richardson, which is very well policed.
I hung out in that area in the late 80's early 90's and it was bad, worse today

Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 AM

400 posts, read 366,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Yikes!

Old 03-24-2021, 10:59 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I lived in that area, near Walnut Hill and Skillman in 1984 for a year. It was fine back then, and even then the prices for condos and homes were significantly lower than most other areas in Richardson ISD. Sad to read the comments...

OP, I commend you for your efforts to save and buy a place. I’d noticed some reasonably priced condos in Addison from time to time. It’s hard! Best of luck.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
I grew up in 75231 and 75243.

The area was worse back then (mid 90's through mid 00's) than it is now. Where we see LA Fitness, Picasso's etc., on one side and a DART station, Sprouts etc. on the other side of Skillman......it used to be Eckerd, a closed down Baskin Robbins, a Whole Foods store that closed down (west side of the street) and then a bunch of crime-ridden apartments on the other side (east side of the street).

I imagine there's still crime but the area has cleaned up quite a bit. There's a slow push coming from the south end of Skillman and it's moving north. They aren't "there" yet, but it looks miles better than it did when I was a kid.

Danger is relative though. For some people, I'd say the area is much too hot for them. Someone that grew up in the Queensbridge projects, Cabrini Green or Third Ward would laugh at the idea that 75243 is dangerous. Probably good to drive around at different times of the day and try to get a feel for it as best you can.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post

I lived in Richland Hills 86-89 and it was fine. Nice condo.

My first apartment in Dallas was 10000 Walnut Street in 1980. It was fine then, looks a little rough now.

The area has dramatically changed since way back then. Poor little Buckingham is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas