Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 06:35 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times

Advertisements

These posters have given you the reasons you won't find your unicorn school. Secular private schools are about teaching kids how to think, not what to think (or at least that's the plan, life can be messy.) That mission doesn't really fit with the "conservatives only" parameters you're setting.

If you only want your kids to hear your version of the truth, keep them at home.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:43 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwanon View Post
We are conservative and not Christian.

Having trouble finding a private school in which we might fit in.

Any ideas?
Generally speaking, the higher the percentage of students who come from in tact 2 parent households, the more conservative that school will be, public or private. Not in all cases, but most, I would venture to guess.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:53 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,190,541 times
Curious why you want private ? And what kind of place did you come from before, what were the schools like ?

You mention you aren't Christian but don't say if you are atheist. If you are Muslim, there is an Islamic school, if you are Jewish there are a few Jewish schools.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:32 PM

22 posts, read 38,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Somehow, I get the feeling that the intolerance is on your part, seeing as how you're specifically trying to put your children in an echo chamber of what they hear at home.

Most people around here are pretty moderate one way or the other. That has been my experience living in Dallas, Plano, McKinney, and now Prosper.

There's a saying, a TX Democrat is a Republican anywhere else. While that doesn't ring as true as it used to, most people don't wear their politics on their sleeve around here and it's a bit laughable that you'd forego the best education for your kids just because you view a school as being "too liberal."
Not looking for an "echo chamber", just want to be accepted by our school community for who we are, religion, culture, politics and all. We are not getting that at our current school.

Without revealing the name of the school, the culture there is overwhelmingly liberal to the extent that people assume everyone there is liberal.

We don't talk politics in public, and nobody at the school knows how we vote. I am happy to keep it that way. But I feel it would be doing a disservice to my kids to keep them in an environment where other viewpoints are simply not tolerated.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Education shouldn't be about brainwashing and echo chambers. It should be about teaching them critical thinking and exposing them to various points of views. They can then use their critical thinking skills to form their own beliefs. If the area or country is continuing down the path of liberal ideas, perhaps your child will be able to understand the arguments enough to logically combat them, sway people to the other side, and save conservatism. Good luck!
I don't need my children to save anything, I just want them to be accepted. We are in the closet about our political beliefs, and adults at the school disparage conservatives to our faces, not knowing we are conservative. It is like if you were "white-passing", and people made racist comments to your face not knowing you were black. I just want my kids to grow up in an environment where they feel safe enough to figure out who they are.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Maybe Lakehill?

I would guess that some of the nominally affiliated privates would still be pretty accepting even if you aren’t of their faith as long as you are ok with the required theology courses or church related activities.

Not sure which schools you are referring to that are intolerant of non-liberal viewpoints (maybe Greenhill?), but there can’t be that many schools that fit the description around here.
I will look into Lakehill. I have no problem with an affiliated school as long as they are accepting of other faiths.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
These posters have given you the reasons you won't find your unicorn school. Secular private schools are about teaching kids how to think, not what to think (or at least that's the plan, life can be messy.) That mission doesn't really fit with the "conservatives only" parameters you're setting.

If you only want your kids to hear your version of the truth, keep them at home.
In case I haven't clarified it enough here already, I am just looking for a community in which we will be accepted. I don't need the school to be promoting any specific agenda, political, religious, or otherwise.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Generally speaking, the higher the percentage of students who come from in tact 2 parent households, the more conservative that school will be, public or private. Not in all cases, but most, I would venture to guess.
Interesting.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Curious why you want private ? And what kind of place did you come from before, what were the schools like ?

You mention you aren't Christian but don't say if you are atheist. If you are Muslim, there is an Islamic school, if you are Jewish there are a few Jewish schools.
We prefer private because we are looking for top quality education without govt red tape. We are currently at a private school in DFW, and very happy with the academics, but not happy with the social culture.

Prefer not to disclose our religious affiliation.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:12 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwanon View Post
In case I haven't clarified it enough here already, I am just looking for a community in which we will be accepted. I don't need the school to be promoting any specific agenda, political, religious, or otherwise.
We have had our kids attend 2 different private schools in Dallas. I know parents from across the political spectrum at both schools, and I've had parents incorrectly assume I agree with their views at both.

I know what my convictions are and don't shy away from expressing them to people who don't agree (in an uncombative way.) If you don't feel comfortable doing that, the problem isn't other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas