Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 05:38 PM

9,856 posts, read 6,570,632 times

Advertisements

Galveston and Fort Worth are similar in the sense that they're secondary cities that are neither suburbs of the other. They both "share" some suburbs with the cities in between (most people who work in Galveston live in southern Houston suburbs).

They also both have unique history.

That's basically it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 05:46 PM

9,856 posts, read 6,570,632 times
I'm not about to make a hundred comparisons, but will point one thing out. There's NO Plano of Houston and there's NO The Woodlands of Dallas.

There's places that may come close or resemble in certain ways (Sugar Land and Las Colinas come to mind) but in all of these cases, there's something big missing to capture the other's energy.

I personally prefer Houston over Dallas, but I prefer Plano over the Woodlands or any other suburb of Houston. Even if you count Memorial/Energy Corridor as a suburb, I would prefer Plano.

And with that being said, I will point out that if there is a "Plano of Houston", it wouldn't be Sugar Land or Katy but rather it would be the Energy Corridor/Memorial Area. Both are diverse, full of corporate campuses, have their own shopping, etc etc.

Just because EC/Memorial/CityCentre has a Houston address doesn't make it any less suburban than Plano. Houston is twice the size of Dallas in population, so naturally, a higher proportion of Houston's city limit population is suburban in comparison to Dallas. The urban core of Houston is larger than that of Dallas, but it doesn't make up the suburban city limit gap between the two.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:56 PM

300 posts, read 289,698 times
Seconding memorial as west Plano and would probably say that the Woodlands is most comparable to Frisco. Kingwood is maybe Allen; Spring is McKinney/Fairview; River Oaks is the Park Cities/Preston Hollow.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:01 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Nigerian did admit the comparison was a stretch though. Personally I don’t think there’s an equivalent to either city for different reasons. Fort Worth is a medium size city that performs good on its own. It’s a legit city and not a suburb. It’s a city one can live comfortably in and have all the things Houston and Dallas have just on a smaller scale. It’s good enough. On the other hand, Galveston imo is one of the most unique cities in the state. Yeah it’s seen better days but there’s still no other city like it in the state. For a city with its population it punches above its weight imo. Galveston is too historic and too urban to be consider a suburb of Houston. It’s not a secondary city the way Fort Worth is but Galveston is its own thing. Ppl forget Galveston was the most urban city at one point in the state and those bones are still there.
This is a great way of putting it, though by U.S. standards Fort Worth is actually a pretty big city - it's just overshadowed by having Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio all in the same state, all of which are well over 1 million residents (Houston over 2 million). And kudos for recognizing the uniqueness and history of Galveston, it really can't be compared to anything else in TX as far as cities go.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:03 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Would Bellaire / West U / Rice Village be the (partly enclave city) equivalent of the M Streets / Lakewood / Lake Highlands?

Old 01-10-2022, 08:19 PM

578 posts, read 300,440 times
I’ve lived in Houston energy corridor and now the western side of plano. In Houston I worked on several of the large MPCs.

I prefer plano to any of the Houston area. I think plano is similar to the energy corridor.

DFW large MPCs are stonebridge ranch in McKinney and las colina. Smaller ones iare timarron in SL and lake highlands developed by Mobil land along with stonebridge which they bought from the Japanese then later sold to wall st banker entities.

Kingwood and the woodlands along with clear lake city we’re 1960s started MPCs. Clear lake was a ranch owned by Silver Dollar Jim West sold along with the minerals to humble in the 30s. Kingwood was party of Foster Lumber co holding NE of Houston then sold to king ranch who convinced Humble to develop it in a 50/50 JV operated by humble’s friendswood land dev co.

There are more differences in Houston and dfw than similarities. No zoning in Houston along with no sizable towns near it resulted in large MPCs in Houston. Both are more international than most might assume

Well more than you wanted to know about MPCs.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:19 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenaultcason View Post
I was looking through this forum and was also looking on Google maps out of boredom and curiosity and decided to compile a list of Dallas equivalents to Houston suburbs and neighborhoods. Is this accurate?:
River Oaks=Park Cities
Close enough

West U/Briargrove/Tanglewoods=Preston Hollow/North Dallas
Preston Hollow is much nicer than those areas. The best parts of Preston Hollow are far better than River Oaks of the Park Cities.

Heights=M Streets
M Streets are much nicer.

Montrose=Oak Lawn
Close enough.

Garden Oaks=Greenway Parks
Unless things have changed drastically, Greenway is much nicer.

Bellaire=Parts of West Fort Worth
I have never been to West Fort Worth and know nothing about it.

Memorial Area=West Plano
What is the Memorial area? If it's what I think it is, West Plano has nicer houses.
See above.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:30 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenaultcason View Post
What would Conroe be?
Lewisville?

Old 01-11-2022, 08:00 AM

73 posts, read 44,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Lewisville?
McKinney. West of the highway=afflunent. East=Poor

Old 01-12-2022, 09:26 AM

869 posts, read 318,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Well for starters, any mention by anyone else about FW burbs would actually be the Fort Worth equivalent of what they are talking about.

So as stated by other posters:

Bellaire = west parts of FW.
Mo City = Mansfield
Memorial Village = Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club
Spring/Klein = Arlington
Sugarland = Southlake
If Midtown 15years ago is Bishop Arts. Fairmont would fit the bill in FW.

And as far as FW equivalents to Dallas for future reference:

Fairmont = Bishop Arts
7th Street = Deep Ellum
Westover Hills = Highland Park
Rivercrest/Montserrat = Preston Hollow
Arlington Heights = M streets
West cliff = University Park
Downtown FW = Downtown Dallas
South FW outside the loop would be equivalent to Pearland/Friendswood or Dallas's Mesquite or Irving.

Hoods are similar:

E. Dallas or heavily Hispanic areas of Oak Cliff would be Northside/Diamond Hill in Fort Worth. That is your S. Houston/Pasadena area. Black areas of Oak Cliff would be FW's stop six area and parts of Houston's 3rd Ward.

There is no real equivalent for uptown. FW doesn't have a place that matches the population density in that urban environment. It's in the works though. That area will likely exist in between downtown and 7th street or it could exist adjacent to the trinity river project that they've been planning since forever.

I moved to Dallas proper from the Mid-Atlantic around 17 years ago. I had the same thoughts about FW back then and it was warranted. Since then, FW has changed tremendously. Most people that post about it are ignorant to that fact. There's no way it's a suburb of Dallas and it definitely is in no way comparable to a Galveston TX. FW and its burbs can hold its own against what most cities outside of the top 3-5 can offer its residents. Including Dallas. FW Zoo, Bass Performance Hall, Museum District, just to name a few.

Mo City = Mansfield

No sir.

Cedar Hill? Definitely.

Mansfield? Not even close.

Although I lived in Mansfield back in the early 2000's before the major build-up and when Simeus Foods was still around, even THEN I considered Mansfield far more upscale than Missouri City...and even moreso now.

And I currently LIVE in Missouri City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas