Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 12:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
The traffic on 360 can be awful at unpredictable times of the day especially now that they're doing road construction at the 360/I30 interchange.
Bouncing over to GBTR can bypass that. It takes a few minutes but well worth the cost.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 6,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I admit I was initially triggered by the OP's original question. Truthfully Texas is a hugely diverse state. Entirely tacky. (and I'm an upper income white female). I"m guessing the OP cannot afford the Park Cities, Southlake, Lakewood, etc that are highly white. (As someone who has lived in these areas, the common complaint that I hear from my white friends is that the schools are TOO white).

That said, I also wouldn't want to live as a minority in a SE Asian neighborhood. I really would recommend looking at a slightly older home (which can come with good schools, trees and better lots). The South East Asian community is drawn to the new homes for the same reason she is. And they are increasing farther, and farther out from the city center. Right now, their prices are high - especially for the often very low quality of production. I wouldn't say my husband is handy at all, but we manage just fine in our wellbuilt historic home. I have a friend is a 6 year old 1M+ home that has already had to replace both her upstairs and downstairs AC units.

Can you share general location of your friend's 6 year old 1M+ home? Is it a majority American neighborhood? Thank you in advance.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:35 PM

625 posts, read 667,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykincaid21 View Post
Can you share general location of your friend's 6 year old 1M+ home? Is it a majority American neighborhood? Thank you in advance.

Lakewood. Lakewood is full of homes from 1920s to brandnew builds. Its not a suburb community of course with just a couple builders. Its an inner Dallas upscale neighborhood with lots of home types. And yes - its primarily 'American'. But thats the same to be said of Preston Hollow, Bluff View, HP/HP, North Dallas etc. These are older, established neighborhoods, but also have new builds as homes are torn down or completely gutted/remodeled. Schools in Lakewood are good, HP are excellent, and I am a fan on some Northern Dallas elementary schools (and definitely the magnet schools), but most other families still send to privates.

SE Asian families (particularly first generation) are generally attracted to areas in the Collin County Suburbs and some in Los Colinas, etc. I hope that you are not generalizing though that 'all' SE Asians are not 'American' though. My Indian-American good friend (I was her bridesmaid)and her cheerleader daughters in Coppell would disagree strongly.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:07 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I have a friend is a 6 year old 1M+ home that has already had to replace both her upstairs and downstairs AC units.
I dunno, that sounds like they got unlucky with defective A/C units. That speaks more to the quality of the A/C unit manufacturer's product than the builder unless the builder installed it incorrectly.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:40 PM

379 posts, read 366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykincaid21 View Post
This forum is absolutely wild sometimes. You people cannot be for real with some of this stuff you say.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:44 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,486 times
Southlake may be more your speed. $1MM you can find something.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:57 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
And even more so with CISD's history of diversity issues...

Old 09-07-2021, 03:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
This forum is absolutely wild sometimes. You people cannot be for real with some of this stuff you say.
Seriously. I don’t go around asking my neighbors for their green cards or immigration status. They’re just my neighbors - the white ones, the black ones, the Mexican ones, the Pacific Islander ones, the Vietnamese ones, the Indian ones, the gay ones, the straight ones, the old ones and young ones….. Some are friendlier than others, some celebrate all the holidays, others celebrate/ decorate for some and not others.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Yes, I think OP’s tribe is strong in Southlake.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Please explain which Northern suburbs Indians have “taken over”?

Frisco: 65% white, 20% Asian, 8% black

Plano: 65% white, 21% Asian, 9% black

Prosper: 83% white, 7% Asian, 5% black

McKinney: 75% white, 12% black, 8% Asian

Little Elm: 65% white, 18% black, 6% Asian

The Colony: 76% white, 9% black, 5% Asian

Lewisville: 65% white, 13% black, 10% Asian

Whites outnumber Asians in every single northern burb by a factor of 3X - 25X.
To be fair, those numbers are estimates based on the 2010 census, so while they tend to be close to accurate, if an area has seen rapid change in the changing demographics since 2010, their likely to be off significantly, they also include Hispanic whites. The go to formula for accurate data, is look at the demographics of the school district and then add, about 5-10% to White non-hispanic Americans, and subtract 5-10% from Asians/Hispanics/Mixed Race people. This is generally gonna give you a more accurate picture of the demographics of an area. Rule of thumb if Hispanics are the 2nd biggest group, since their the youngest group after mixed race, the area is closer to 10% whiter than the schools. I know the ISD's don't exactly line up with city boundaries but it's close enough.

This is far more accurate demographic picture, although it's still a guess at the end of the day.

Frisco: 47% White, 27% Asian, 10% Black, 11% Hispanic 2% Mixed Race.

Plano: 39% White, 22% Hispanic, 22% Asian, 12% Black, 2% Mixed Race.

Prosper: 68% White, 11% Hispanic, 9% Asian, 7% Black, 3% Mixed Race.

McKinney: (The ISD boundaries means more Asian areas are zoned to Frisco)
54% White, 22% Hispanic, 14% Black 4% Asian 2% Mixed Race.

Little Elm: 45% White, 31% Hispanic, 16% Black, 3% Asian, 2% Mixed Race.

Lewisville (The Colony+Flower Mound+Lewisville+North Carrolton): 45% White, 26% Hispanic, 14% Asian, 10% Black, 2% Mixed Race.

Now not a single area is dominated by Asians. The closest you'll get to that is Frisco, East of Preston Road but even then, it's only about 35% Asian, maybe 40%.

For some reason "certain" Dallasites have an issue with Indian dominated areas, even though for the most part Houstonians do not seem to care. Fort Bend County is similarly as Asian as Frisco, with Sugar Land being far more Asian, and some neighborhoods like Aliana registering as 67% Asian, and Riverstone as 70% Asian. Not to Mention Sugar Land, easily at 60% Asian as a whole. Now their are large Vietnamese/Chinese and Pakistani populations in some of these areas, but it's not like Indians aren't the dominant group in Aliana and some other neighborhoods. It's not like half of Sugar Land's Asian population isn't Indian.

Indians are Americans just like anyone else, and their kids even moreso. I grew up with Desi kids, and I don't think I suffered in anyway for it. In fact, these kids were the ones that helped me thrive. Even if some FOB parents can be clannish, the Kids tend to be super-Americanized and radiate various Americanisms that are analogous with suburbia.

Racial data has been released: https://mtgis-portal.geo.census.gov/...ed2b2fd7ff6eb7

But you'll have to compile data yourself, which i've been slowly doing for some Houston area suburbs. They just haven't updated them in the actual data sheet yet, and the non-Hispanic white population is impossible to calculate by hand.

Maybe it's because Dallas's population is much more 1st gen, that it get's such a visceral reaction, but it's still seems to be something unique to North Dallas, even when many North Dallas towns are just as if not whiter/less diverse than Houston suburbs.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 09-07-2021 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas