Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 11:07 PM

83 posts, read 52,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Do you work for Galleria Dallas? I’m beginning to think so.

Look, the tenant mix at Galleria has been steadily declining for 15+ years. Basically since NorthPark expanded, Stonebriar opened & HPV went luxury on steroids. Galleria lost every single luxury tenant except the 3 that thrive on tourism. Again, it’s not a bad mall. It’s financially stable and pretty high occupancy rates. It’s long been the #2 sales volume mall behind NorthPark. But it’s basic, not special. You can’t deny that.

NorthPark is in another stratosphere of A+++ malls compared to Galleria.

But what do I know, I only worked in luxury retail for 15+ years, including significant time spent in the corporate HQ of the luxury department store you keep talking about. Neiman DOES NOT WANT more local stores, definitely not inside Dallas city limits.
Hines spent 400 million on the Galleria Dallas in 1982 which matched what Caroline Hunt spent to construct The Crescent in 1986. I'm just questioning all the pooh pooh said about it. I'm wondering if there is something demographically about the neighborhood that I'm missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Trump supporter oddly values having local department stores versus being a magnet for stores everywhere. Makes no sense. People will travel to go to the Alexander McQueen store. No one will travel to the FortyFive Ten store
People were traveling in to shop at 4510 on McKinney years before Love Field built its new terminal and years before it had its restrictions lifted. That Brian Bolke decided to move on and no longer manages the store is troublesome.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:28 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump Supporter View Post
People were traveling in to shop at 4510 on McKinney years before Love Field built its new terminal and years before it had its restrictions lifted. That Brian Bolke decided to move on and no longer manages the store is troublesome.
Key word “years before” lmao

Old 09-22-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Key word “years before” lmao
Brian Bolke has been described as a contemporary Stanley Marcus. That 4510 McKinney store was pulling in a $1,000 a square foot. In comparison, Stanley Korshak in the Crescent is said to bring in less than $700. Perhaps Brian Bolke is the person that can help upright Neiman Marcus?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:14 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,124 times
When I was a kid, the Galleria was considered the new money mall and North Park was considered the old money mall. Times have changed and the Galleria has been left behind.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Does ANYONE actually go to these malls anymore?

I think we usually go to Northpark maybe once a year and laugh at the over-priced shoes.

Became a Christmas Shopping joke a few years ago with the kids, and we have kept the tradition whilst going to the Trains at Northpark. The game is while walking through Norstrums, or Needless Markup, we pick up the silly priced shoes and look on the bottom, put them back down and announce our found price(s). Whoever gets the highest number(s) -- typically $500 to $3000 == "wins," and we laugh, then we take pictures of the hunt, and move on.

If you go too slow, the staff comes over to "help," but we try to have already moved on. But the who in the world actually buys stuff at these places, anymore?
At least the staff came over to help you. I remember many years ago, I wandered around the Nordstroms for the first time out of curiosity as I had never been in one before. The staff girl there gave me the quick eye up down, decided I wasnt a customer and proceeded to act as if I didnt exist. I could have been on fire and I doubt she would have moved a muscle. I got the hint and moved on. Too rich for my blood.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:18 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Brian Bolke has been described as a contemporary Stanley Marcus. That 4510 McKinney store was pulling in a $1,000 a square foot. In comparison, Stanley Korshak in the Crescent is said to bring in less than $700. Perhaps Brian Bolke is the person that can help upright Neiman Marcus?
Brian has a new business now. https://theconservatorynyc.com/

He’s not corporate - he would not fit at Neiman, nor would he want to.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Hines spent 400 million on the Galleria Dallas in 1982 which matched what Caroline Hunt spent to construct The Crescent in 1986. I'm just questioning all the pooh pooh said about it. I'm wondering if there is something demographically about the neighborhood that I'm missing.
Have you missed the fact that it’s surrounded by lower income apartments running from south of 635 at Harvest Hill up to the Wal-Mart on Arapaho? And office buildings in Addison? And the generally run down area behind the mall at Alpha / Montfort? I don’t trust that Scott Beck is going to the “Midtown” developed and open by 2030. It’s a disaster! I want it to work because I live close enough by to use it but he doesn’t inspire confidence the way Karahan has with Legacy/Legacy West and now he’s working on the PGA area developments in north Frisco. Those I have confidence in being fully built out by 2030.

I’ve lived in Preston Hollow for 8 years now and have been into the Galleria (for myself, not for work purposes) 2 or 3 times. I will go to NorthPark 4-5x a year and Highland Park Village 1-2 times A MONTH.

It’s not even a blip on the radar for local shoppers. Which is why almost all the luxury tenants have left. But the Galleria name sounds good, there’s a hotel on site and therefore it’s a huge tourist destination. And some solid destination stores like American Girl Doll.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Have you missed the fact that it’s surrounded by lower income apartments running from south of 635 at Harvest Hill up to the Wal-Mart on Arapaho? And office buildings in Addison? And the generally run down area behind the mall at Alpha / Montfort? I don’t trust that Scott Beck is going to the “Midtown” developed and open by 2030. It’s a disaster! I want it to work because I live close enough by to use it but he doesn’t inspire confidence the way Karahan has with Legacy/Legacy West and now he’s working on the PGA area developments in north Frisco. Those I have confidence in being fully built out by 2030.

I’ve lived in Preston Hollow for 8 years now and have been into the Galleria (for myself, not for work purposes) 2 or 3 times. I will go to NorthPark 4-5x a year and Highland Park Village 1-2 times A MONTH.

It’s not even a blip on the radar for local shoppers. Which is why almost all the luxury tenants have left. But the Galleria name sounds good, there’s a hotel on site and therefore it’s a huge tourist destination. And some solid destination stores like American Girl Doll.
Is this situation with the apartments similar to all those efficiencies built in Greenspoint (Gunspoint) of Houston that turned that area into a gangland? As a youngster, I was brought up middle class in Bellaire and grew up close to the Houston Galleria. We kids would enter into the store by way of Neiman Marcus not knowing any better.. There was motocross racing directly south of the Houston Galleria across I-59 and it wasn't a luxury track.

I just think a whole lot has changed:

1) When Neiman Marcus chose to move out to Willow Bend Mall, there was a Saks Fifth Avenue at the Dallas Galleria. Then Saks would advance even further on Willow Bend by building a department store there!

2) The Telecom Corridor would crater hurting Willow Bend.

3) Restrictions were in place at Love Field with no new terminal.

The people living around the Galleria Dallas need to lose their fear of run down apartments. They are a vital part of any business area as the people that wait on tables and wash dishes need a place to sleep, eat, and to procreate other little waiters and dish washers.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
When I was a kid, the Galleria was considered the new money mall and North Park was considered the old money mall. Times have changed and the Galleria has been left behind.
I disagree. It took a while for Northpark Center and that area around it to come back after the rebuilding of the Central Expressway. The same will be the case for the area around the Galleria Dallas after the rebuilding of the LBJ.

Changing times has pushed The Crescent in Uptown to the pinnacle of North Texas real estate. The $400 million Galleria Dallas - the equivalent of 1.2 billion back then - was a quality Hines development. As all its surrounding competition has been either demolished or redeveloped, it's potential can only rise in scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas