Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 10:47 PM

14 posts, read 9,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Yeah, There is also a ton of new construction coming in on the West side too (Lone Star, usually middle of the pack soccer, very high on Math)

I'd look for Wakeland HS attendance area. Maybe Centennial too. Any one of those three will give you what you need. Wakeland is traditionally a bit stronger in soccer.
If we look at wakeland, which local soccer club usually players attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 11:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 693,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivititi76 View Post
If we look at wakeland, which local soccer club usually players attend?
It’s a mix, but the prior text of FC Dallas and Solar are the best bets.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:37 PM

Thank you so much for the info.

Wakeland seems to fit our need really well. A little further drill down, on its soccer team, they have great achievement! My little concern is that I do not see many minority kids on the team. Is it because not many minority kids in Dallas area play soccer ?

Any experience sharing will be appreciated.

Last edited by vivititi76; 12-11-2021 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 11:47 PM

194 posts, read 181,451 times
The Wakeland feeder pattern is not heavily minority. There are plenty of minority players in DFW.

We came from the North East two years ago with a soccer playing son. Sports are run differently in TX - your student will have an “athletic” period for soccer. They will meet during this class period during off season at normal school period. Around late November- “soccer try-outs” will happen. Schools must do this try out per UIL rules but the teams have pretty much been picked. There are some kids that come from other sports to try out. In season practice occurs starting this try out week and runs through the end of season. This entails either coming in early and through first period Athletics (usually boys) or practice starts in 8th period and runs through after school. Scrimmages start in December. My son had fist season scrimmage last week and second next week. In January - tournament play begins for all level of teams and finally district play after that. Note: tournament play will have you student missing whole days of school. My son will be out three days one week followed by two the next! I was shocked at this as where we came from, maybe a day would be taken for competition, but usually just an early dismissal!

Club soccer - this is also run very different from North East. Here it is all about the Coach!! As in players stick with a coach not necessarily the club. Back home it was all about the club and our club purposely rotated head and assistant coaches every two years. In DFW some kids stay with the same coach their whole career and if they don’t like coach they search fir new team/coach. My son plays for Solar which has teams all over the metro. That is also different in that his old club was in a localized geographic area. Here big clubs have teams all over the place! If you are used to a big club check out Solar, FC Dallas, Texans. Once you get the name of the coaches your daughter will be invited to go to a couple of training sessions and they will tell you if it’s a good fit or suggest which coach might be a good fit.

There are also many smaller clubs all over the metro. Again it’s more about the coach here. The clubs do not create a system of play for all coaches to teach, rather it’s coaches preference.

Also club slows down a bit during high school season but they will still have tournaments and club games will pick back up towards end of high school season. It makes it chaotic for sure!! For instance my son around MLK weekend and President’s Day weekend will play out of town club tournaments - Las Vegas but still must play HS game night before LV tournament starts. Makes traveling tricky at times.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:39 PM

Thank you for the first hand experience!

Yes, it sounds totally different. We are from Northeast ,too. Our current soccer season is only from mid August to mid Nov, maybe because we are in a small state. Our high school does not have off season practices, that is why players need to enroll in private club to keep training going on, or maybe players want more exposure for college scholarship purpose.

Do you mean Frisco HS have athletic period year round, if you plan to try out for soccer varsity, you will do soccer in this period. So the coach will get to know you, and decide ahead of tryout if you will be needed for his/her team?

If the Frisco HS already have off season soccer training, do you think it is still needed for outside club enrollment if we are not trying for any sports scholarship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
The Wakeland feeder pattern is not heavily minority. There are plenty of minority players in DFW.

We came from the North East two years ago with a soccer playing son. Sports are run differently in TX - your student will have an “athletic” period for soccer. They will meet during this class period during off season at normal school period. Around late November- “soccer try-outs” will happen. Schools must do this try out per UIL rules but the teams have pretty much been picked. There are some kids that come from other sports to try out. In season practice occurs starting this try out week and runs through the end of season. This entails either coming in early and through first period Athletics (usually boys) or practice starts in 8th period and runs through after school. Scrimmages start in December. My son had fist season scrimmage last week and second next week. In January - tournament play begins for all level of teams and finally district play after that. Note: tournament play will have you student missing whole days of school. My son will be out three days one week followed by two the next! I was shocked at this as where we came from, maybe a day would be taken for competition, but usually just an early dismissal!

Club soccer - this is also run very different from North East. Here it is all about the Coach!! As in players stick with a coach not necessarily the club. Back home it was all about the club and our club purposely rotated head and assistant coaches every two years. In DFW some kids stay with the same coach their whole career and if they don’t like coach they search fir new team/coach. My son plays for Solar which has teams all over the metro. That is also different in that his old club was in a localized geographic area. Here big clubs have teams all over the place! If you are used to a big club check out Solar, FC Dallas, Texans. Once you get the name of the coaches your daughter will be invited to go to a couple of training sessions and they will tell you if it’s a good fit or suggest which coach might be a good fit.

There are also many smaller clubs all over the metro. Again it’s more about the coach here. The clubs do not create a system of play for all coaches to teach, rather it’s coaches preference.

Also club slows down a bit during high school season but they will still have tournaments and club games will pick back up towards end of high school season. It makes it chaotic for sure!! For instance my son around MLK weekend and President’s Day weekend will play out of town club tournaments - Las Vegas but still must play HS game night before LV tournament starts. Makes traveling tricky at times.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:39 PM

194 posts, read 181,451 times
ALL TX HS’s have athletic periods, not just Frisco. Well as long as you play a UIL (University Interscholastic League) sport. Some sports still have school support but not overseen by UIL because not all of TX does the sport. For example, lacrosse is club here but in DFW most districts offer after school as a “club” sport. Same with Ice Hockey and boys volleyball.

Yes coaches will get to know your player before try-outs. Honestly the teams are pretty much set before official try-outs but per UIL rules they must offer them. But a player could come from another sport.

Yes, athletic period runs year round unless cut from team. So players cut from team will get rescheduled to another class (semester long).

Many players continue to play club through high school but not all.

What level does your daughter currently play? As a freshman most players would not make varsity here.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:23 PM

She is currently 9th grade, and is on varsity soccer team this year, probabaly because we are in a small state, and the HS only have 1300 students (Grade 9-12).

So we are not expecting her getting any sports scholarship, just want her to have some group sports experience to be different from the typical Asian steroetype.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:13 AM

554 posts, read 684,326 times
OP - I'm not sure where you are coming from, but I thought I'd give you a perspective from someone familiar with soccer here in DFW.

Club soccer reigns supreme here. There are high schools that are better known for soccer than others, but once some of the club leagues started limiting or forbidding club players from playing for their high schools, the competitiveness and quality of high school soccer was somewhat diminished (this seems to be worse on the boys side fwiw.) Soccer in North Texas is constantly changing, but the one thing that has consistently grown is the club scene. Every year, there are more and more leagues for club teams and they are constantly realigning in their hierarchy. So, you can't just look at a club name and know how good the team is because the big clubs have a zillion teams in every league.

GigiTer is correct in that clubs can let you come for a tryout and suggest where you might fit depending on your skill level. However, if you are looking at moving at a specific time, I think you should consider the club season and how that works here. Clubs can start holding official tryouts in May (different dates depending on their sanctioning bodies.) Signing day for select soccer is July 1st. Most of the competitive teams pretty much have their team set at the beginning of tryouts (despite what is advertised), so the closer you get to July 1st, the less options that are available. This doesn't mean that you couldn't make a club after that date, just that most coaches prefer to have their rosters set as early as possible, despite not being able to formally sign contracts before July 1st.

My experience with high school soccer is that the coaches base a lot of their selections on club experience. So for instance, if you get a girl coming in that plays for Solar (again, there are Solar teams at all different levels, so this in and of itself isn't particularly informative other than knowing they are on a reputable club team), that girl will likely be prioritized over a girl who has just played recreationally or through school. To be fair, she is also likely to be better than someone who has only played recreationally, but there are exceptions to that rule.

At any rate, best case scenario if your daughter wants to play club would be to try and get down here by that little window where teams are picked. Then she would sign with a club and start playing pretty much immediately. By the time high school tryout season rolls around, she will have been playing since late July/early August, which will put her in better shape for the tryouts as a new kid, with the added advantage of being able to say she plays for a club.

Now, take this all with a grain of salt as I am coming from a "best way to game the system" perspective as opposed to factoring in your daughter's skill level, interest, and drive. DFW soccer is insanely competitive and the parents are crazy (I say this as one myself.) If your daughter just wants to play for school, prepare her for the possibility that she could get cut or play JV and just encourage her to do her best. If she doesn't make the school team, there will be a club or rec team somewhere that will take her. North Texas has an overabundance of teams.

You also might want to check out the North Texas Soccer vs. the World page on Facebook - lots of soccer insider intel and a very experienced group!

Old 12-14-2021, 10:04 AM

Thank you , this is very informative!

I need to do some homework on this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas