Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 11,247 times

Advertisements

Property taxes are very high. I would recommend the 75230 zip code area. Not Preston Hollow but just north of PH and still inside the 635 loop. Good schools- public and private- and great lots w/mature trees. You can get better price per square footage in this zip code region. Try Melshire Estates there are some really beautiful homes for sale there now. I remember one in particular that we looked at with a cascading goldfish fountain on a really large lot that was so beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM

168 posts, read 573,383 times
one of the main things that keeps us from this area is the extreme wealth there...

lets say you are a family making $500k/year in a $1MM home... in the Park Cities area, that is nothing. do I really want my kids growing up in an environment like that?...where they believe every 16 yr old should have a BMW, ultra expensive clothes, etc.? I dont care how much money we have, I dont want that for my boys.

No offense meant to anyone that lives there...perhaps I am exaggerating a bit, but from what I hear, not so much. Highland Park is like the 15th most wealthy city in the U.S. if memory serves correct

Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 AM

72 posts, read 257,679 times
University Park and Highland Park are very nice, safe areas of town. There are streets lined with huge canopies of trees that are so picturesque. You can still get larger lots in the area and there is also new construction.

It's not near an International airport, though. It's by Love Field Airport. The major carrier out of there is Southwest Airlines. You can look up their schedule, but I don't know if they'll fly to all the destinations your hubby will need to go to.

Every school in the HP district is rated exemplary. They spend more than $18k per year per student to educate and have an average classroom student to teacher ratio of 16:1. As far as peer pressure goes, where are you going to go to avoid it? It's everywhere. There is a lot of wealth here. Texas also has one of the highest concentrations of millionaires per capita. The people who live in the Park Cities for the most part know how to make and manage wealth. There are some people that have inherited wealth and others that are trying to keep up with the Jones' and are barely keeping their heads above water. But, for the vast majority, they know how to manage wealth and teach their children these same skills. The friends your kids could be making in UP could be developers, Senators, or the next Bill Gates. If all kids are exposed to is one of way of life, that's all they are going to know. So, exposure to other ways of life could be an important factor.

They are very serious about lawn maintenance and trash cans being put away at the proper times. This, however, only helps you maintain your property value, so I wouldn't really consider it a con?

Hope it helps.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 AM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
American and Continental also have limited service out of Love Field; a Continental flight to IAH will allow you to connect with anywhere Continental flies. I believe that on July 2, American will begin offering flights from Love Field to its hub at Chicago O'Hare, making connections in the midwest easy. Of course, if you need to fly somewhere that is only served by American and it's in the opposite direction of the Midwest, it makes more sense to drive to DFW and utilize their hub there.

Love Field is a much easier airport to use than DFW, and you'll find that you can get just about anywhere from there.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:48 PM

38 posts, read 134,516 times
I worked in neighboring Highland Park Village, in a four star affuluent restaurant for years, so I had a good view of the culture there. People that rich don't stop talking when you approach the table, so you overhear a lot of stuff. I had people so obtuse they said "gracias senior," when I would put something on the table. Not that it matters, but I am a white woman.
First, there is an entire subculture to the HP and UP people. They expect their children to date and marry only people within a few select families, kind of like the Scandinavian royalty.
Second, there are only a couple of roads that go through east/west, so as long as you can get north or south to get to a through street, you're okay. The schools are excellent, and the people in UP are much friendlier, but there is some of the same mindset. Some call it the university park wannabes.
As far as the airport, I lived in Dallas for 20 years and never found it necessary to go to DFW airport. Southwest Airlines rocks, and goes pretty much everywhere, so why would you want to give Tarrant county (where the airport is) any tax revenue by using their airport?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:54 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Wealthy people want to sit in first class. They want an assigned seat. They want their frequent flyer miles. They want meals. They want to fly out of DFW.

Just sayin'.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,434 times
Unfortunately, Dallas does have a lot of the "wannabe" thing going on. (I feel like I can say this since I am from Dallas...and I do love Dallas regardless!) UP also used to have a lot of duplexes and, for lack of a better term --this is totally laughable--"lower end" (for the Park Cities anyway) housing. They have scraped much of it and replaced those with big expensive homes. We also have friends who moved within UP and though they spent several million on a house, preferred to stay in UP when they moved. While we liked the homes we saw in HP, we liked the family friendly feel to UP better. Both great areas though.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
And there's a 20% homestead exemption. A $1 mil house would be taxed at $800k, 2.1/2.2%
The tax rate for UP is one the lowest around at 1.87 and HP is 1.82 compared to others such as Plano 2.07, Richardson 2.48 & 2.17, Flower Mound 2.05, Coppell 2.48 etc...

Naima

Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 38,150 times
Unhappy If you like to make friends by how much $ you make, UP is for you.

Sorry....have to be honest...
Truthfully, the reputation......very snobbish, & shallow. I have friends who previously lived there, & it's sad how shallow the majority of the community is. Lots of "old" money (i.e. Daddy's), & if you're new money, everyone knows....& you're looked down upon. Read "D" magazine for a glimpse into their lifestyle. I have yet to truly meet a "genuine" person from the area. Save a ton of money, make some new friends (who don't like you for your material items), & have a much larger, as well as nice home......move somewhere north of Dallas. McKinney, Prosper, Celina......very nice & great schools. Also, should you have any children, save them the heartache of that lifestyle.....it's hard enough for kids as it is. I'm sure someone will "slam" me, so sorry in advance, if you feel differently than the majority of DFW. OH....and look at McKinney ISD, & the LoveJoy school district.....schools are just as good.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 38,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
one of the main things that keeps us from this area is the extreme wealth there...

lets say you are a family making $500k/year in a $1MM home... in the Park Cities area, that is nothing. do I really want my kids growing up in an environment like that?...where they believe every 16 yr old should have a BMW, ultra expensive clothes, etc.? I dont care how much money we have, I dont want that for my boys.

No offense meant to anyone that lives there...perhaps I am exaggerating a bit, but from what I hear, not so much. Highland Park is like the 15th most wealthy city in the U.S. if memory serves correct
I completely agree with you.......kids get this whole "entitlement" issue. Oh....and you might wat to find a good plastic surgeon. It's a must! ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas