Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 09:06 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Reverse order:

1. Eight minutes, given the fact that all schools must over-offer relative to seats, seems reasonable to me. Even Harvard and Princeton get turned down.

2. Given that proportionally more private kids are applying to UT's better and best programs it should come as zero surprise to anyone that some ace prospects are turned down.

2.1. Across the numbers the kid who finishes at the 80th percentile at SM/Cistercian etc. is much better prepared for university level rigor than the 80th percentile kid at brand-x public. Heck the 80th percentile kid from SM is likely to be a NMSF.

2.3. People compete all the time.
The 80th percentile kid from SM is valedictorian at most public schools. Heck, the kids who leave St. Mark's because they're struggling become valedictorians at their local public high school.

It's probably the case that there are SOME students who can't get into UT or A&M on their test scores and grades, because they went to a top private school, who would have gotten in on auto-admit had they graduated at the top of their class in a public high school. It would be interesting, however, to see how many auto-admits graduate in four years versus how many SM, Hock, Cistercian, etc. graduate in four years from their university whatever it may be.

Let's keep in mind that there are actually other goals in schooling than university admittance. No one here seems to want to talk about it. Do you REALLY think the kid with a C average from St. Mark's, who didn't get into UT, has the same kind of education behind him as the A student from Woodrow who was auto-admitted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 09:15 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The 80th percentile kid from SM is valedictorian at most public schools. Heck, the kids who leave St. Mark's because they're struggling become valedictorians at their local public high school.

It's probably the case that there are SOME students who can't get into UT or A&M on their test scores and grades, because they went to a top private school, who would have gotten in on auto-admit had they graduated at the top of their class in a public high school. It would be interesting, however, to see how many auto-admits graduate in four years versus how many SM, Hock, Cistercian, etc. graduate in four years from their university whatever it may be.

Let's keep in mind that there are actually other goals in schooling than university admittance. No one here seems to want to talk about it. Do you REALLY think the kid with a C average from St. Mark's, who didn't get into UT, has the same kind of education behind him as the A student from Woodrow who was auto-admitted?
You and I see this very similarly.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:52 AM

303 posts, read 364,743 times
Quote:
Do you REALLY think the kid with a C average from St. Mark's, who didn't get into UT, has the same kind of education behind him as the A student from Woodrow who was auto-admitted?
The same kind of education and what happens with admissions are two different things here.

I think Rabbit and EDS and myself are all on the same page with regard to the value of private schools. I believe we've all sent our kids to top private schools, or have children in them, so we're not debating the value proposition.

But given my experience in private schools and having children in them, I have a much healthier dose of skepticism and I can't help but visibly recoil at the sheer insanity of a lot of it. Understand that I've been intimately involved at every level in private schools except actually teaching, so I've seen a lot of the ugly underbelly that goes along with what is "elite private school" education. I've conducted a head of school search and hired a head of school, literally signing my name to the contract. I've run a capital campaign and multiple huge facility projects. I've been intimately involved with all the "development" (read: raising money). Inappropriate student teacher crap. Financials. Setting tuition. Lawsuits. The Endowment. You name it.

My kiddos are off to college, so I'm sort of done with it. But I will not lie, I kind of want to take a shower after all of it, and especially seeing the sheer angst that the entire communities go through. It's maddening. Just read the threads here. My heart aches for some of these parents who treat this stuff as life or death.

So when you see my posts, you'll understand where I'm coming from.... I've seen some s*it man.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:02 AM

8,123 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point.

Those are kids who meet auto-admit requirements but win their offer via competitive admissions.

It's a checkers level point but an ultra-majroity of those who win completive admissions also meet auto-admit criteria.
I've never seen any hard data on this, but it's most likely correct.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:20 AM

8,123 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:

Well, not at the schools that are typically discussed here.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:13 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorDFW View Post
Indeed, as Menard implies, if the goal is UT/TAMU, anybody who can get through the admissions process to a top private is much better off going to a non-competitive public HS and going the auto admission route.
That's exactly what my niece did. She went to a public HS in a border town, and graduated in the top 10% of her class so she got auto-admit to UT Austin. No, she didn't do a business or engineering degree, but she did earn her Bachelor's in Social Work.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:12 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenardMQ View Post
The same kind of education and what happens with admissions are two different things here.

I think Rabbit and EDS and myself are all on the same page with regard to the value of private schools. I believe we've all sent our kids to top private schools, or have children in them, so we're not debating the value proposition.

But given my experience in private schools and having children in them, I have a much healthier dose of skepticism and I can't help but visibly recoil at the sheer insanity of a lot of it. Understand that I've been intimately involved at every level in private schools except actually teaching, so I've seen a lot of the ugly underbelly that goes along with what is "elite private school" education. I've conducted a head of school search and hired a head of school, literally signing my name to the contract. I've run a capital campaign and multiple huge facility projects. I've been intimately involved with all the "development" (read: raising money). Inappropriate student teacher crap. Financials. Setting tuition. Lawsuits. The Endowment. You name it.

My kiddos are off to college, so I'm sort of done with it. But I will not lie, I kind of want to take a shower after all of it, and especially seeing the sheer angst that the entire communities go through. It's maddening. Just read the threads here. My heart aches for some of these parents who treat this stuff as life or death.

So when you see my posts, you'll understand where I'm coming from.... I've seen some s*it man.
As a parent of kids who have completed private school, THANK YOU. I stayed away from that stuff deliberately, hoping that level-headed people were holding up the ethical standards in those rooms.

The value my kids derived from these schools is separate from their college choices. I can say with confidence that they can be successful at any university in the world with the level of academic rigor, executive skills, & character development they mastered in high school. It was hard won, but they will take it wherever they land. The focus on undergraduate college prestige is unwarranted.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:05 AM

6 posts, read 4,831 times
Can anyone comment on the social atmosphere in the upper grades of these two academically rigorous schools? Are the students supportive of each other? Is there collaboration and a sense of community? Or is it just daily competition among the students? I ask this because I read some reviews that allude to the latter, particularly regarding Hockaday. Thank you for any input.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:38 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
As a parent of kids who have completed private school, THANK YOU. I stayed away from that stuff deliberately, hoping that level-headed people were holding up the ethical standards in those rooms.

The value my kids derived from these schools is separate from their college choices. I can say with confidence that they can be successful at any university in the world with the level of academic rigor, executive skills, & character development they mastered in high school. It was hard won, but they will take it wherever they land. The focus on undergraduate college prestige is unwarranted.
Wonderfully written.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:41 AM

312 posts, read 367,757 times
Remember that anyone who graduates in the top 10% gain auto admission to A&M business and first year general engineering. Therefore, a TJ or Hillcrest kid gets auto admission but a middle of the road or third quarter SM boy might not, depending upon test scores. However, will that kid succeed? Maybe. The third quarter boy might attend SMU on full pay. The first quarter kid is in the running for presidential scholarship at SMU (full ride) or Provost ($30K/year). That said, most SM families don't need the money and will send Johnny to the best school they can (i.e., Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, Vandy, UVa, etc.).

Kids gaining admission to UT need to be top 10% at SM for b-school or engineering with top scores. However, I've known quite a few of those that turn UT McCombs, even Honors, down for Ivy-types for business. These weren't family business people but double income parents with mid-six figure incomes.

HPHS graduates attending UT have declined precipitously over the last few years. Now, UT is down to the 30s per class when it used to be over 70. Many attending are those cool kids with very solid leadership that aren't going into engineering or business. Communications, economics, education, social work...

Last edited by Taub201; 03-27-2024 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas