Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 AM

8,114 posts, read 3,663,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
Remember that anyone who graduates in the top 10% gain auto admission to A&M business and first year general engineering. Therefore, a TJ or Hillcrest kid gets auto admission but a middle of the road or third quarter SM boy might not, depending upon test scores. However, will that kid succeed? Maybe. The third quarter boy might attend SMU on full pay. The first quarter kid is in the running for presidential scholarship at SMU (full ride) or Provost ($30K/year). That said, most SM families don't need the money and will send Johnny to the best school they can (i.e., Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, Vandy, UVa, etc.).

Kids gaining admission to UT need to be top 10% at SM for b-school or engineering with top scores. However, I've known quite a few of those that turn UT McCombs, even Honors, down for Ivy-types for business. These weren't family business people but double income parents with mid-six figure incomes.

HPHS graduates attending UT have declined precipitously over the last few years. Now, UT is down to the 30s per class when it used to be over 70. Many attending are those cool kids with very solid leadership that aren't going into engineering or business. Communications, economics, education, social work...

Not for engineering:

"*All applicants to the College of Engineering will be reviewed for placement into General Engineering including students who qualify for Top 10% automatic admission. This includes Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Computer Science, Industrial Distribution, and Engineering Technology."

https://admissions.tamu.edu/apply/freshman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 01:49 PM

91 posts, read 127,946 times
Quote:
Remember that anyone who graduates in the top 10% gain auto admission to A&M business and first year general engineering. Therefore, a TJ or Hillcrest kid gets auto admission but a middle of the road or third quarter SM boy might not, depending upon test scores. However, will that kid succeed? Maybe. The third quarter boy might attend SMU on full pay. The first quarter kid is in the running for presidential scholarship at SMU (full ride) or Provost ($30K/year). That said, most SM families don't need the money and will send Johnny to the best school they can (i.e., Duke, Northwestern, Michigan, Vandy, UVa, etc.).

Kids gaining admission to UT need to be top 10% at SM for b-school or engineering with top scores. However, I've known quite a few of those that turn UT McCombs, even Honors, down for Ivy-types for business. These weren't family business people but double income parents with mid-six figure incomes.

HPHS graduates attending UT have declined precipitously over the last few years. Now, UT is down to the 30s per class when it used to be over 70. Many attending are those cool kids with very solid leadership that aren't going into engineering or business. Communications, economics, education, social work...
I believe it's actually top 6% at this point, not 10 anymore. For UT auto-admit.

For St. Mark's (since that's the school you mention) it's a moot point anyways because they don't rank students, so there's not an auto admit kid at UT from SM (if I'm understanding it correctly). That means those kids are all applying for the non-auto admit admissions pool which is just in the hundreds. Of course the admissions team knows SM well and would be on the lookout for those applications, so likely a boon there....

Old 03-27-2024, 02:16 PM

16 posts, read 18,589 times
Quote:

I was told that last year 22%+ of HPHS class was admitted to UT - I don't know how many actually went and if that number has been similar in previous years.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnicles View Post
I believe it's actually top 6% at this point, not 10 anymore. For UT auto-admit.

For St. Mark's (since that's the school you mention) it's a moot point anyways because they don't rank students, so there's not an auto admit kid at UT from SM (if I'm understanding it correctly). That means those kids are all applying for the non-auto admit admissions pool which is just in the hundreds. Of course the admissions team knows SM well and would be on the lookout for those applications, so likely a boon there....
Yeah, I'd like to see just how many St. Mark's, Hockaday, Greenhill, ESD students applied to UT and got turned down. I'll bet it's not very many.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:36 PM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Quote:

For UT - its top 6% automatic admission to the College of Liberal Arts only! Any other major (e.g., Business, Natural Sciences, Engineering) is still holistic review and they are looking for fit to major. So it is very common for auto admit kids to not get their desired major and be admitted only to a generic liberal arts major. Its next to impossible to change into many impacted majors or colleges if not admitted initially.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:59 PM

379 posts, read 366,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
For UT - its top 6% automatic admission to the College of Liberal Arts only! Any other major (e.g., Business, Natural Sciences, Engineering) is still holistic review and they are looking for fit to major. So it is very common for auto admit kids to not get their desired major and be admitted only to a generic liberal arts major. Its next to impossible to change into many impacted majors or colleges if not admitted initially.
This makes me sad. I was first in my family to go to college (A&M), and I had minimal exposure to careers and options. I didn't know what I didn't know, and my parents didn't have the background to know I needed help with this. I was General Studies until I was forced to pick a major because I just wasn't sure (except that it wasn't going to be in the sciences.) I ended up in Liberal Arts after all but what if I had chosen business and was told it was too late? Not everyone knows exactly what they want to do or study at 18, especially kids from underprivileged backgrounds.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:59 PM

790 posts, read 1,220,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astropath View Post
I was told that last year 22%+ of HPHS class was admitted to UT - I don't know how many actually went and if that number has been similar in previous years.
I saw a slide with names of 55 HP students who said they were attending UT last year. That is approx 10 percent of the class (only those who are attending, not all who were admitted)

Old 03-27-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnicles View Post

UA does not rank either but IF you apply to a Texas school they will tell you if you are top 10 or top 6 percent. I would assume St. Marks and other privates are the same. They would not take away the auto admit benefit.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:03 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see just how many St. Mark's, Hockaday, Greenhill, ESD students applied to UT and got turned down. I'll bet it's not very many.
About half don't get in. And of those that do, they're not getting in to the competitive majors that they want. That's still better than the overall average at UT, but I know of many kids with straight A's, amazing extracurriculars, sky high test scores who are capped/declined at UT.

Admissions at UT are brutal.

You can drill into attendance numbers at https://reports.utexas.edu/spotlight...as-legislature

If you look by Congressperson it shows attendance by high school. Doesn't show admission numbers, but it gives you some direction.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I know students from each of these schools who were capped at UT this year. Most of them would essentially consider that result to be the same as "turned down" because even if they take it they can't get in later to their desired major. I agree it's probably not many, but the graduating classes aren't that big anyway. So getting a few people capped is still potentially a "significant" number of the applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas