Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 03:41 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,504,611 times

Advertisements

These were built back when we had skilled labor. New construction scares me....I see so many mistakes and get by construction these days. Very frustrating. Also many of the builders tend to put in the very cheapest components. Just saw a $1mil house in Prosper with Goodman AC units. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 07:43 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,335,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
WHAT??? Sorry, can't hear you for the 747s landing overhead.
Maybe in the far northwest corner but the rest of Coppell is out of the Flight path. By the time they get to Coppell they are flying low, coming in on approach and flying over Commercial Warehouses. The west side Commercial warehouse district of Coppell was built due to the airport. Much like Valley Ranch or Las Colinas, there is almost zero noise and flights over Coppell housing.

There is more Flights and Noise over Plano and Lewisville. Luckily Lake Grapevine provides a nice flight approach from the west.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:09 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,232,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
These were built back when we had skilled labor. New construction scares me....I see so many mistakes and get by construction these days. Very frustrating. Also many of the builders tend to put in the very cheapest components. Just saw a $1mil house in Prosper with Goodman AC units. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
My dad did HVAC for almost 50 years. He always put in Trane or Carrier. I've never heard of Goodman.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:39 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,433,227 times
Quote:
My dad did HVAC for almost 50 years. He always put in Trane or Carrier. I've never heard of Goodman.
I had a Goodman AC and heater from 1998 that lasted until 2020. I think it's a perfectly fine brand, but it is considered more affordable with fewer features (like how many features do you need on your AC?). It was replaced by a Trane A/C -IMO the ac fan that distributes air inside the house is on the weak side so I don't really consider it an upgrade.

Goodman was started in Houston, but is now owned by Daikan, which is a global leader in ACs.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:35 AM

245 posts, read 256,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
Exactly! My wife and I are both from this area and know we can have a larger/newer home up north, but prefer being closer in-town. The only thing that makes us toy with the idea of moving to the northern suburbs are the schools. The schools here (RISD) are mostly good, so we’re fine not having a 10 “great schools” rating. I also travel about twice a month and fly out of Love, since it’s much easier for me to get into and out of versus DFW. I think most people I come across around here work downtown, off of 75, or the many close hospitals (Presbyterian, Medical City, Baylor).
Average SAT for white kids in Celina is 1134, Propser is 1127, and for Richardson is 1201- a larger percentage of Richardson kids take the test, too.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:52 PM

4,251 posts, read 6,938,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Honestly surprised you haven't heard of Goodman with a dad who did HVAC for that long. It's one of the most popular brands. Perhaps the one I see the most outside of Trane. It is often considered a 'budget' unit, but in my opinion, the quality is fine and the warranties are good. The biggest difference you will see in a home unit is getting a unit that is properly sized and a quality install. Those are much more important than brand in most cases.

TheOverdog: When you say the blower is weak, what is your frame of reference? Is it not keeping temperature well? Or is it a mental game where you just don't 'feel' the air? A new unit from 2020 will likely have a multi stage evap fan. If it's a Trane, it's possible it has a variable speed evap fan. The 1998 unit was likely single stage. If that's the case, in the old unit, the fan had no choice but to run (inefficiently) at a single speed, no matter how much cooling was required. This uses more fan energy and can also lead to less consistent temperature and moisture control. If you now have a multi stage or variable speed, the evap fan is going to run at the stage that matches the load to save energy. However, some people mentally still want to 'feel' the air, even though it doesn't mean it's actually doing a better job of cooling the house.

If the unit feels 'weak' and actually is not maintaining temperature or dehumidifying properly, I'd have to recommend the ductwork is looked at both on the supply or return side to make sure there aren't restrictions unrelated to the unit.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:11 PM

308 posts, read 639,553 times
Because a lot of people have no desire to live 30 - 40 miles from the city and fight the local two lane farm roads with the other 20 bizmillion people that move here from no telling where.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:22 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,232,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
Because a lot of people have no desire to live 30 - 40 miles from the city and fight the local two lane farm roads with the other 20 bizmillion people that move here from no telling where.
I completely agree. My husband wanted to buy a 2-acre lot in a gated neighborhood in an unincorporated area where all of the houses are on well water. The 4 lane road leading to the highway is already congested and there are more subdivisions coming. Most of the houses in the neighborhood have pools. I said no thank you. It also violated an iron-clad rule I have for where to live. My house needs to be within 15 minutes of a SuperTarget. That's how I know it's in civilization.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:42 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,433,227 times
Quote:
TheOverdog: When you say the blower is weak, what is your frame of reference? Is it not keeping temperature well? Or is it a mental game where you just don't 'feel' the air?

It cools fine, and is probably far more efficient but yes, the fan is variable speed and it definitely cools slower, and the air coming out of the vents is far weaker. The tradeoff is it's also quieter.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:46 AM

4,251 posts, read 6,938,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It cools fine, and is probably far more efficient but yes, the fan is variable speed and it definitely cools slower, and the air coming out of the vents is far weaker. The tradeoff is it's also quieter.
Makes sense. Cooling slower is definitely a bit of a tradeoff. And I know it doesn't feel the same if you've just come back from a run/bike whatever and want to feel that immediate blast of cool air. But you're right the balance is that it is quieter and more efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas