Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,070,478 times

Advertisements

Canine Castle, you are making a mountain out of a classic molehill. You have raised the fear level based on one or two minor incidents per year involving a storm that affects only a very small area, with wind speeds between 40 mph, up to 70 mph. Sure, it can knock down some fences and maybe tear a limb off a tree, but the suggestion that everyone in Dallas county needs to take shelter in a bunker over the threat of something that minor... nonsense.

And several other people on this forum agree that your concern is out of proportion to the reality of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Canine Castle, you are making a mountain out of a classic molehill. You have raised the fear level based on one or two minor incidents per year involving a storm that affects only a very small area, with wind speeds between 40 mph, up to 70 mph. Sure, it can knock down some fences and maybe tear a limb off a tree, but the suggestion that everyone in Dallas county needs to take shelter in a bunker over the threat of something that minor... nonsense.

And several other people on this forum agree that your concern is out of proportion to the reality of weather.
Au contraire, fellow poster. I am not capable of raising anyone's fear level, so kindly remove that idea from your head. Although many agree with you, many agree with me as well. I guess it's just a matter of who dislikes what.

Hey, you never answered me about the weathermen. Don't you think they need to be removed from TV because they could scare anyone to death if he or she wasn't aware of the "tornado talk" during storms.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,309 times
Who watches the weathermen these days? The news and weather is so full of hype its ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
Who watches the weathermen these days? The news and weather is so full of hype its ridiculous.
Oh, okay. Whatever.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,070,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Au contraire, fellow poster. I am not capable of raising anyone's fear level, so kindly remove that idea from your head. Although many agree with you, many agree with me as well.
Of course you're not capable of raising anyone's fear level with your tornado talk... it's obviously not very well founded.

People agree with you? Exactly what are you claiming? That we're in imminent danger of dying by tornado?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 20,372 times
Default Tornado Fears

Hello!

I too am afraid of storms and even have recurring dreams about tornados. I swear--its like I was in one in a past life or something!

To help with your fear, first of all, put it in perspective. The odds of dying in a tornado, according to public statistics is 1 in 12,000,000. Odds of dying in a car accident (according to the National Safety Council) 1 in 6500. So, first put this storm fear in perspective.

Second, to protect yourself in the event of a tornado "touch down", here are some key tips (taken from the Homeland Security Tornado Preparedness website):TORNADO SAFETY: WHAT YOU CAN DO

Before the Storm:

Develop a plan for yourself and your family for home, work, school and when outdoors. Call OEP for assistance.

Have frequent drills.

Have a NOAA Weather Radio with a warning alarm tone and a battery backup to receive warnings.

Listen to radio and television for information.

If planning a trip outdoors, listen to the latest forecasts and take necessary action if threatening weather is possible.

If a warning is issued or if threatening weather approaches:

In a home or building, move to a pre-designated shelter, such as a basement.

If an underground shelter is not available, move to an interior room or hallway on the lowest floor and get under a sturdy piece of furniture.

Stay away from windows.

Do not try to outrun a tornado in your car; instead leave it immediately.

If caught outside or in a vehicle, lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression.

Mobile homes, even if tied down, offer little protection from tornadoes and should be abandoned.

For more detailed info Google search "tornado safety". You might want to coordinate with your neighbor that in the event of a tornado--you can move down a level, to their place, if sirens start sounding. A main thing to consider is in your "safety" place, are there items that can become projectiles at high speed. You don't want to take shelter in a place where canned goods can become deadly. A closet is good because usually there is no glass, no heavy objects, and you can pile your clothes on yourself for protection. Projectile objects are the biggest safety risk when it comes to tornado protection.

If you have pets, consider them too. Have a muzzle to cover their mouths and a leash to keep them in your control. Animals can bite and snap when frightened--it is the norm.

I have lived here all my life and never had to take shelter--but again--its always better to have a plan and not need it--than the other way around!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 PM

68 posts, read 280,155 times
aceplace, so what's your response to grace437?? Is it "dont' worry..nothing will ever happen"?? Instead of argueing the possibilities of a tornado...just give grace437 some helpful advice! I wonder where you will be when "it hits you"!!!! There is no safe place...it can happen anywhere and at any time!!! So, if you have any clue what to do when a tornado is on its way to you..please give her your advise on what to do...and stop argueing!!!! Just please don't tell her to close her eyes and not to worry! At least..everyone should be prepared for the worst case! Great if it never happens...but if it does happen..then at least know what to do!!! - I feel like I am talking to a little kid with closed eyes! I lived in TX for 10 years...I hated all the crazy weather!! I live now in CO and just experienced it last week that it can hit anyone and everywhere!!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM

11 posts, read 61,716 times
Good discussion. We are from Georgia but have been here in TX for 3 years. My anxiety about a possible tornado stems from the fact that planning and preparation for a potential tornado may not be enough to keep you alive. When there was a tornado or potential tornado in Georgia, we went into the basement. Going to an interior closet or bathtub I am afraid is not adequate protection from a tornado. These subset of storms have the potential to remove a house completely from its foundation. If you are above ground, that means you too. Being in a closet under the stairs will not help you. It's not the storms or potential torndados that worry me, it is the lack of adequate protection available in most homes built here in the DFW Metroplex.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,309 times
If you are that worried about it then why not build a basement or move?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Funny thing............ take a look across the country at where most of the deadly tornadoes have taken place this year so far. How many in Texas? How many in Dallas County? Yet........... I don't see ANYONE over in the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama,Tennessee, Florida, Virginia or even Wisconson (just about all where people have died from them THIS YEAR) boards that are looking to relocate to those places asking about tornadoes. Neither do I see scardy cats that are threatened by a dark cloud screaming and getting hoping mad that no one is bringing up the dangers of such in THOSE states where most have been occuring. Wonder why? I'd be MORE worried about a tornado if I lived in many of those OTHER states than I would be living in Dallas County. Sorry KewGee, you don't scare me. Nor does Rosie who tucked her tail and ran from this God forsaken place of Texas after living here for a few years.

As for those that REALLY want to know the truth. A tornado can happen ANYWHERE! As can an earthquake. Amazing, we even have those in Texas but you don't see people asking about them here as most people have a narrow minded way of thinking and believe they "all happen in California". Same goes for tornadoes, narrow minded thinkers believe all bad tornadoes happen here in Texas and in Dallas. You know......... gets me to thinking (bad thing I know )......... If these big, bad, scary tornadoes happened as much as some people would lead you to believe........... NONE OF US WOULD BE HERE INCLUDING THEM!

So yes, I DO have a "plan" IF and when I should EVER need to take shelter. This is for being at home of course. I have a nice raincoat I really like that has zippered pockets and happens to be BRIGHT ORANGE (someone joked one time so they could see me hanging from a tree, lol). I get that and if it gets REALLY BAD and we must take shelter I will have that jacket ON! In the pockets will be my house and car keys along w/ my drivers license, some cash, credit card & debit card and a really small flashlight. Never had to do this yet. Why those things?
1. Car keys: What if the roof blows off the house or a wall or something and things inside get blown around and my keys go flying who only knows where? If my car is driveable we have a mode of transportation.
2. House Keys: Same scenario as above but I have a way to lock and unlock the doors just in case all walls are up and windows not blown out but roof is gone.
3. Money, credit card, debit card: If we MUST find a place to stay (relatives are all here so go there if they are okay most likely for a night or two) BUT still even IF insurance will pay for a place to stay you still need a cc to check in with. I can still go to the store for items that we REALLY NEED and not have to bum money off of friends and family. AND, I don't have to hassle w/ canceling them if they do get blown away as they will be in my pocket. My family can get them out of the pockets once they get me down out of that tree
4. Flashlight: If it is night time when it happens we have a way to see what the heck is going on.
5. Drivers License: Basically for the same reasons I'd have a credit card and debit card. That and I don't have to hassle w/ getting a new one. PITA!
6. Now, if I really, really wanted to get all freaky I guess I could get our safe open and get out our passports and birth certificates. But that is pretty heavy and secured into place. Not because of a tornado but idiots that might think they can break in and get it and run. If I'm home they will be trying to outrun a bullet

How many times have I done this? ZERO!
How many times in my 42+ years of living in Dallas County have I had to seek shelter from a tornado? ZERO
How many of my relatives (grandparents, great-grandparents, aunt/uncles, cousins, second cousins/aunts/uncles, basically ANY family member) been effected, house destroyed or even hit, in one, witnessed a tornado, etc? ZERO! And you can take that all the way back to the 1800's.
Am I scared of them? Not so much that I have to live every waking day thinking I'm going to die in one. If it is my time, it is my time. Do I know and realize the destruction they can cause? Yes. Just like anything else that can cause danger like blow drying my hair in a bathtub..... you just use COMMON SENSE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas