Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 01:15 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,195,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Many homes in Texas and some other southern states are not piped similar to what you are talking about. My old house in Dallas has water heaters, associated supply lines and other water lines (pot filler and an outdoor spigot plumbed over the garage) in the attic. Similar in Colorado would violate code and fail by Nov. 1 most years.

During the big freeze in '21 I ran the spigot mentioned above well over a trickle or it would freeze, obviously that's an outside exposure. I'd also dribble the pot filler and one sink associated with each water heater because of the attic exposure.
That explains it. I knew there had to be some sort of difference in construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 01:28 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
What is the difference in construction we're talking about? I've had an issue at both new and old homes in multiple regions. Just depends on where the specific pipes are located and how cold it gets and for how long. It's mostly individual home dependent for this kind of thing, not regional. Unless you take into account pipes in a heated full basement like I had in upstate NY, which is of course a different story.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:44 PM

5,879 posts, read 4,195,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
What is the difference in construction we're talking about? I've had an issue at both new and old homes in multiple regions. Just depends on where the specific pipes are located and how cold it gets and for how long. It's mostly individual home dependent for this kind of thing, not regional. Unless you take into account pipes in a heated full basement like I had in upstate NY, which is of course a different story.
Per EDS, pipes running through attics would be one difference.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Per EDS, pipes running through attics would be one difference.
Ok yes we're on the same page. I thought you meant regional construction types (insulation, vapor barriers etc. - that kind of variation). Yes our pipes are in the crawl space, which is not fully encapsulated. Even with vent covers it trends toward ambient. It was below freezing down there for days when the outside was single digits to 20s (was checking via my floor hatch access and my temp probe )

Old 12-20-2022, 01:52 PM

19,870 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I don't agree at least not precisely.

FE around DFW lots of irrigation, gravity water drain pipe/storm water drains etc. are buried a couple of inches under ground. Anywhere much north of here that would violate local code and fail if not from outright burst pipes then from drains and shallow pipes upheaving in the spring as things thaw out. All of that stuff needs to below or tided off below the front line if not it'll fail.

The inbound water service to my DFW house, although currently PEX, is maybe 4 inches below grade. That would fail in OKC (minimum 12" depth) let alone Chicago (commonly 60") several places in Alaska require 96" or more.

Porch/foundation piers not buried to a bottom point below the frost line will move enough to cause damage and everywhere you go with code - code will require simple concrete piers to be buried below the frost line and sometimes keyed to each other or well into the soil laterally.

ETA - just caught the earlier miscommunication. I think we are all really on the same page, close enough anyway.

Last edited by EDS_; 12-20-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't agree at least not precisely.

FE around DFW lots of irrigation, gravity water drain pipe/storm water drains etc. are buried a couple of inches under ground. Anywhere much north of here that would violate local code and fail if not from outright burst pipes then from drains and shallow pipes upheaving in the spring as things thaw out. All of that stuff needs to below or tided off below the front line if not it'll fail.

The inbound water service to my DFW house, although currently PEX, is maybe 4 inches below grade. That would fail in OKC (minimum 12" depth) let alone Chicago (commonly 60") several places in Alaska require 96" or more.

Porch/foundation piers not buried to a bottom point below the frost line will move enough to cause damage and everywhere you go with code - code will require simple concrete piers to be buried below the frost line and sometimes keyed to each other or well into the soil laterally.

ETA - just caught the earlier miscommunication. I think we are all really on the same page, close enough anyway.
Agreed. I was just focusing on the pipes above grade. But you're spot on with buried pipes.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:03 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,937,919 times
Another thing is to get RV anti freeze an put in all drains and toilets p traps.
RV anti freeze is safe for this application.
Another thing you can do is install plastic wrap to windows even if they are double pane.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,061,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Another thing is to get RV anti freeze an put in all drains and toilets p traps.
RV anti freeze is safe for this application.
Another thing you can do is install plastic wrap to windows even if they are double pane.
I've only drain the water from my RV and thats about it when I know I wont be using it for a while which is normally Dec-Feb

Old 12-20-2022, 04:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,916,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is strange to me. Like I said, we've had -16 F and below zero temps many, many times. I've never done any of this, and I don't know anyone who does.
My garage here in Denver is better insulated than both of my crappy tract houses in DFW were.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 8,431,811 times
Yes I'm worried that Santa's GPS and sleigh might freeze over and get damaged rendering him unable to deliver presents to all the kiddies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas