Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 07:20 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,094,701 times

Advertisements

I question whether covering exterior pipes is of any advantage. A towel or piece of foam can't really do that much.

My house was built with the pipes are under the slab. I have had countless problems with the pipes from the soils and foundation but never in 33 years had them freeze knock on wood. I'm more worried about electricity, but at least if there's no ice on the roads, I can drive somewhere that has power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 09:54 PM

19,874 posts, read 18,158,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
My garage here in Denver is better insulated than both of my crappy tract houses in DFW were.
That makes sense. More energy by a factor of 3 - 5 is required to heat a cold climate home than to cool a hot climate home.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Yes I'm worried that Santa's GPS and sleigh might freeze over and get damaged rendering him unable to deliver presents to all the kiddies!
Haha! I needed a laugh.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I question whether covering exterior pipes is of any advantage. A towel or piece of foam can't really do that much.

My house was built with the pipes are under the slab. I have had countless problems with the pipes from the soils and foundation but never in 33 years had them freeze knock on wood. I'm more worried about electricity, but at least if there's no ice on the roads, I can drive somewhere that has power.

You may have "frost free" outdoor spigots or good heat flow nearby.

I assure you thousands of people in DFW will suffer broken solder joints, split pipes, pool failures and other cold driven problems this weekend.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:10 AM

4,578 posts, read 2,715,507 times
Most houses have SOME pipes in exterior walls. Kitchen sinks, for example, are usually (though not always, not in new construction) located with a window above.

Of course hose bibbs by definition are on exterior walls. And depending on how the hose bibb is connected to the water supply, heat can conduct right out the hose bibb, cooling the pipes way up into the wall and leading to freezing.

Cover (wrapping, or the styrofoam caps) your exterior hose bibbs. Or, best of all, if you've got shutoffs, shut them off altogether for winter. Any plumbing on an exterior wall, you don't know for sure how much insulation is between the pipe and the sheathing. At a minimum open the cabinet so the warm interior air can get in. If the forecast continues to call for single digit temps Thursday night I'll be dripping faucets on exterior walls.

Up north people often wrap sensitive pipes in heat tape. It's a lot easier to do this when you have a basement.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,037,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post

Why risk it? It’s not expensive, nor hard to do. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

On a more positive note the Harris County judge assures us this weather event will be nothing like February 2021. She said there could be scattered power outages but nothing widespread. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2022, 04:03 PM

10 posts, read 7,959 times
of course it wouldn't, but Texas is not like up north. The grid is terrible and homes aren't built like up north.
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
I have lived in North Dakota. Freezing weather does not scare me.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:53 PM

537 posts, read 452,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTXMove View Post
of course it wouldn't, but Texas is not like up north. The grid is terrible and homes aren't built like up north.
My 25 year old custom built brick home is better insulated and constructed than the frame home I had in North Dakota.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:06 PM

8,143 posts, read 3,702,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
My 25 year old custom built brick home is better insulated and constructed than the frame home I had in North Dakota.
Real brick? Not veneer?

Old 12-21-2022, 08:29 PM

407 posts, read 343,866 times
I looked at the forecast. People should not worry. It is not as bad as it was in February 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas