Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 02:18 PM

537 posts, read 449,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Everything was over the top. The parties, the kids' cars, the vacations. You're constantly keeping up with the Joneses. I didn't want that again (and not to send snotty but we had no problem doing the same but it just turned me off). My kids were not raised to think they are better than. They are very down to earth and know their dad works so hard so we have the life we live. We do not spoil them and they know the value of money and we make them get jobs when they turn 16. People in Keller are so much more down to earth. I'm very happy with my decision.

Someone else private messaged me to ask about the area vs North Atlanta and this was an example I gave. The Southlake kids used to bring signs to the Keller vs Southlake football games that read, "We used to live in Keller and then my dad got a job". How disgusting. Where are they learning that from? Hmmm. This past season, Keller was playing away at Southlake. Some of their drill team came over to our drill team side with a sign that read, "Rivalry?" and then listed all of the scores where Southlake blew Keller away. They took selfies with it in front of our girls. Needless to say, our drill team coach texted theirs to let her know and she was like, oh no, they would never do that! Then our coach sent her a picture of it off social media that her girls had posted. They were sidelined and crying. Anyway, I just don't care for the attitude and I would be careful about moving there if you're stretching to buy a house.

Just my opinion.

PS Our real estate taxes are still $22,000 per year which is insane. I am glad there is no state income tax but paying that every year makes us sick. Don't forget that part.
Those signs at ballgames are just silly and reek of a new money, no class simpleton mindset. The best reason I can think of to not live in Southlake is that US Dept. of Education has been involved in managing the ISD because of racism in recent years. If your property taxes are $22,000 per year then you easily have a home valued in the seven figures, case in point you chose not to live in Southlake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 02:52 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Saw an article about Allen High school's QB leaving because someone spray painted his house with the N word. I know the northern suburbs are full of white flight, maybe all of the racists will end up in Oklahoma if this continues?

Old 01-08-2023, 05:37 PM

24 posts, read 19,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Saw an article about Allen High school's QB leaving because someone spray painted his house with the N word. I know the northern suburbs are full of white flight, maybe all of the racists will end up in Oklahoma if this continues?
It feels to me the racism has been a long issue in the State… everywhere…. And I am not positive that this will fixed in the long run.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:50 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
Quote:
Everything was over the top. The parties, the kids' cars, the vacations. You're constantly keeping up with the Joneses. I didn't want that again (and not to send snotty but we had no problem doing the same but it just turned me off).
All the northern Texas suburbs are like this, among the upper income earners, which is a huge percentage. It's not specific to Southlake. That's just life with people who earn way more money that what's required to pay for the basics - they have plenty spare cash to spend on 2nd homes, vacations, and cars.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:50 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
All the northern Texas suburbs are like this, among the upper income earners, which is a huge percentage. It's not specific to Southlake. That's just life with people who earn way more money that what's required to pay for the basics - they have plenty spare cash to spend on 2nd homes, vacations, and cars.
I think there's a strong cultural component to this as well, though, and it seems especially prevalent in Southlake. I've lived in several places where people had more than what was required, and I'm not sure I've ever spent significant time in a place more ostentatious and in-your-face about it than Southlake.

Quote:
Everything was over the top. The parties, the kids' cars, the vacations. You're constantly keeping up with the Joneses. I didn't want that again (and not to send snotty but we had no problem doing the same but it just turned me off). My kids were not raised to think they are better than. They are very down to earth and know their dad works so hard so we have the life we live. We do not spoil them and they know the value of money and we make them get jobs when they turn 16. People in Keller are so much more down to earth. I'm very happy with my decision.

Someone else private messaged me to ask about the area vs North Atlanta and this was an example I gave. The Southlake kids used to bring signs to the Keller vs Southlake football games that read, "We used to live in Keller and then my dad got a job". How disgusting. Where are they learning that from? Hmmm. This past season, Keller was playing away at Southlake. Some of their drill team came over to our drill team side with a sign that read, "Rivalry?" and then listed all of the scores where Southlake blew Keller away. They took selfies with it in front of our girls. Needless to say, our drill team coach texted theirs to let her know and she was like, oh no, they would never do that! Then our coach sent her a picture of it off social media that her girls had posted. They were sidelined and crying. Anyway, I just don't care for the attitude and I would be careful about moving there if you're stretching to buy a house.

Just my opinion.

PS Our real estate taxes are still $22,000 per year which is insane. I am glad there is no state income tax but paying that every year makes us sick. Don't forget that part.

I guess the kids have moved on from the "We're on welfare now, so we had to move to Keller" signs.

Every parent who has money has to figure out where the balance is on raising their kids with opportunities and raising their kids in a bubble of rich asshats. That's harder to do in Southlake than most places. My wife grew up in Southlake but opted out of Carroll early in high school to go to a private school because she was sick of so many pretentious kids. Think about that.....private school was the more down-to-earth option.

And don't even get me started on people who brag about the football team as though they are part of it. If you aren't wearing shoulder pads or holding a clipboard, you don't get to brag about football success. You can be proud of it and happy for the team, but you don't get to rub it in the face of other specatators because neither of you are on the team.

I'm glad you guys found a spot you like. You sound like good people.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:39 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
There was a guy who used to post on here who lived in Southlake... he was a real piece of work. With parents like that, it's no wonder the kids there turn out like they do. I don't remember his name, but most of his posts about wealth and privilege were cringe worthy.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:05 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
There was a guy who used to post on here who lived in Southlake... he was a real piece of work. With parents like that, it's no wonder the kids there turn out like they do. I don't remember his name, but most of his posts about wealth and privilege were cringe worthy.
kyam11 or something like that.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:18 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
All the Southlake talk is the same thing we used to have to put up with when playing Highland Park. Of course, that was twenty years ago so maybe things have settled down. Most of it was just plain stupid, sure our school had a lot of poor kids, however we had a few that could buy those fools, used to make me laugh.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:22 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:

Just my opinion.

My son attends a majority-minority high school. He's in the marching band so he attended the playoff game the school had against Southlake last school year. The students could hear some Southlake fans yell racist things. Unfortunately, none of them had the foresight to record it.

As for the class snobbery, it's real. We lived in Arlington when our kids were young. I joined a mom's group that has chapters all over the US so I could get plugged into the community. One of our members moved to Southlake and joined the Southlake chapter. She was friendly and well-liked by members of our chapter. She was frozen out by the Southlake Chapter because she didn't have the right car, wear the right designer clothes, etc.

I have other stories to share but I thought that would paint a good picture. Years ago, my husband suggested moving there. I put my foot down and said no because I didn't want our kids to be judged by what they owned and because I was worried they'd be treated badly because they're biracial.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:30 PM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
kyam11 or something like that.

Yes, that sounds right. That guy was the epitome of a snotty rich kid as an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas