Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,760 times

Advertisements

Hi - We are moving to Dallas and applied our daughter to Hockaday for 2nd grade. We completely understand the chances are incredibly slim given it's a non-entry year. That said, have our fingers crossed since we're coming from a "top tier" independent school in our area and hope for a similar school going forward.

Unfortunately, our daughter just took the ISEE and ended up scoring two 6s (the 2nd grade test is just two sections).

This was our first test experience ever and she didn't do any formal prep, so not entirely shocking that she didn't excel, but - it doesn't match up given she scored 90 on the Weschler (CATS equivalent IQ test) a few years ago and has glowing progress reports / teacher recommendations through Kinder and 1st.

Any insight as to whether this ISEE result totally knocks us out at Hockaday (if there ever even was a spot!)? Anything else we could do at this point? I imagine sending the older CATS score wouldn't be welcome, and we probably just need to ride it out, but any thoughts would be welcome as this is new to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 09:33 AM

13 posts, read 25,209 times
90 you mean 90%?

Old 02-01-2023, 11:35 AM

Sorry yes! That wasn’t clear. She got a 120/90th percentile a few years ago.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:07 PM

149 posts, read 146,542 times
Did you only apply to Hockaday ?

Old 02-03-2023, 12:00 PM

91 posts, read 127,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreatoTx View Post
Hi - We are moving to Dallas and applied our daughter to Hockaday for 2nd grade. We completely understand the chances are incredibly slim given it's a non-entry year. That said, have our fingers crossed since we're coming from a "top tier" independent school in our area and hope for a similar school going forward.

Unfortunately, our daughter just took the ISEE and ended up scoring two 6s (the 2nd grade test is just two sections).

This was our first test experience ever and she didn't do any formal prep, so not entirely shocking that she didn't excel, but - it doesn't match up given she scored 90 on the Weschler (CATS equivalent IQ test) a few years ago and has glowing progress reports / teacher recommendations through Kinder and 1st.

Any insight as to whether this ISEE result totally knocks us out at Hockaday (if there ever even was a spot!)? Anything else we could do at this point? I imagine sending the older CATS score wouldn't be welcome, and we probably just need to ride it out, but any thoughts would be welcome as this is new to us!
Hi Bay Area-
I would encourage you to send those Weschler scores over if you have them in a transcript form (what I mean to say is not just your word for it but a document from the tester).

We moved from LA to TX and I was completely unaware of this ISEE. Thus I didn't really have my kids prepare for it until just before the test when I learned that this was something that is done. My middle son had recently had testing at his (at the time) current school, which was a test similar to the Weschler. His ISEE scores were not great. I asked the admissions assistant if they would like these other test scores. She said yes--- that every input of info on the kiddo would help them determine if he would do well at their school. Which was the goal.
This wasn't Hockaday (obviously) but if I were you, I would send those scores over and let them know that you are hoping to give a more well rounded picture of your daughters academic level. At the very least, send them an email ASKING them if they'd like the scores rather than just assuming they won't. As your scores are a few years old, they might tell you "no". But it's probably worth the effort. Just my two cents.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Thank you so much for this advice. Very helpful - and nice to know someone else is in the same boat. Admissions here in CA is just geared a bit differently, so the focus on standardized testing and test prep is a new world. Fingers crossed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: