Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,332 times

Advertisements

What ISEE score is required to get in Private school like USN or Ensworth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 04:06 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
My son got accepted Ensworth (7th grade) and waitlisted at USN (7th grade no opening only attrition) with Satines of one 8 and three 9s. His BFF went to USN in 6th (waitlisted but got off ) with all 9s.

USN is going to be a higher threshold than Ensworth.

Also there is no guarantee just based on ISEE scores. My other son with dyslexia applied to FRA and his brother's school for 7th grade. He had satines of 7 on the two verbal sections and 9s on the math section. He didn't get into FRA (probably because they figured he would go to his brother's school but we were genuinely interested in FRA for him as it has a better learning support program and robotics.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:50 AM

Thank you so much. Is USN waitlist really true? Is it ranked waitlist?
Can you also please provide some feedback on Harpeth hall and Ensworth on Academics,Chess and Tennis.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:14 AM

12 posts, read 19,447 times
Are there certain grades / entry points that are easier to enter at each school?

Old 02-27-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81 View Post
Are there certain grades / entry points that are easier to enter at each school?
yes- Every school has entry points where they add to the class

USN adds starts at K and adds at 5th and 9th.
Ensworth starts at K and adds at 5th, 7th and 9th
Harpeth Hall starts at 5th and adds at 6th, 7th and 9th
Montgomery Bell starts at 7th and adds at 9th

Each school is a little different and it is odd USN doesn't have a 7th grade entry point because St Pauls and Oak Hill are K-6 schools so those kids are all looking for spots at 7th.

The rest of the time schools basically only have space based on attrition.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATAA View Post
Thank you so much. Is USN waitlist really true? Is it ranked waitlist?
Can you also please provide some feedback on Harpeth hall and Ensworth on Academics,Chess and Tennis.
I honestly don't know anyone who has been outright rejected from any private school, they are always "waitlisted". I do know 2 families that have gotten off the waitlist at USN.

I think Harpeth Hall has stronger academics than Ensworth, but that tennis facility at Ensworth is gorgeous. Both schools have chess but the top teams at the local chess tournaments tend to be MBA and homeschoolers.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:13 PM

12 posts, read 19,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
yes- Every school has entry points where they add to the class

USN adds starts at K and adds at 5th and 9th.
Ensworth starts at K and adds at 5th, 7th and 9th
Harpeth Hall starts at 5th and adds at 6th, 7th and 9th
Montgomery Bell starts at 7th and adds at 9th

Each school is a little different and it is odd USN doesn't have a 7th grade entry point because St Pauls and Oak Hill are K-6 schools so those kids are all looking for spots at 7th.

The rest of the time schools basically only have space based on attrition.
Thanks that’s very helpful. Is there a particular reason your sons did not apply to MBA for 7th grade (if I’m reading your earlier post correctly)? I’m considering it for my younger son but am not super familiar with it other than knowing it is an all-boys academic-focused school.

Are there any particular private elementary schools that are typically viewed as the premier “feeder” schools into the top private upper schools?

Old 02-27-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I honestly don't know anyone who has been outright rejected from any private school, they are always "waitlisted". I do know 2 families that have gotten off the waitlist at USN.

I think Harpeth Hall has stronger academics than Ensworth, but that tennis facility at Ensworth is gorgeous. Both schools have chess but the top teams at the local chess tournaments tend to be MBA and homeschoolers.
Thank you for the info. That's very helpful.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:27 PM

71 posts, read 71,787 times
We didn't get into 3 schools but did get into Franklin Road Academy. We were in town a couple weeks ago when the big ice storm hit so unfortunately our school tours got canceled and we never got to see the campus. Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts or what have you heard about that school both good and bad? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanaggie View Post
We didn't get into 3 schools but did get into Franklin Road Academy. We were in town a couple weeks ago when the big ice storm hit so unfortunately our school tours got canceled and we never got to see the campus. Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts or what have you heard about that school both good and bad? Thanks!
I think admissions were hard this year, lots of people flocking to private because metro has been online all year (until last week).

I really liked FRA when we toured it for my middle son. My son has a good friend there and they love it. The robotics program/maker space is great also the academic support is supposed to be really good so if you have a smart kid with ADHD, Dyslexia etc it is a great choice.

Also follow up withe schools, sometimes they think out of towners aren't interested if they don't tour so you may get off a waitlist if you continue to express interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: