Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 08:22 AM

617 posts, read 1,041,392 times

Advertisements

According to this study of Zillow searches, "Northeast Dallas" is the most popular area in the U.S. to search on Zillow, beating out the Hollywood Hills, La Jolla, Camelback East in Phoenix, and the Upper East Side of New York.

Note that Zillow's "Northeast Dallas" includes everything from Deep Ellum to Casa View - much more than "Northeast Dallas" means locally.

NY Times: America's Most Popular Neighborhoods

Zillow: Northeast Dallas
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 08:47 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Boundaries are kind of bogus, for example cutting right through the middle of city blocks.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:19 AM

245 posts, read 254,250 times
Deep Ellum is NE Dallas, but not the M Streets?

Old 04-15-2023, 06:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
I didn't even recognize the term Northeast Dallas.

According to Google Maps, Northeast Dallas are the area immediately to the east and the south of the The Village Apartments. Mockingbird Lane is the southern and eastern border.

That's a unremarkable area of Dallas with mainly 1950s-1970s style single family homes.

Old 04-15-2023, 01:22 PM

328 posts, read 471,380 times
Default Zillow Northeast Dallas

Go to Zillow to find the true boundaries of Northeast Dallas. Google Maps drills down to micro neighborhoods. I live in Northeast Dallas, near Richland College, which Google calls North Lake Highlands.

https://www.zillow.com/northeast-dal...oom%22%3A12%7D

My home was built in 1979, using quality materials. When I go in my backyard, I hear the roar of traffic from the busiest intersection in Texas, LBJ and 75 (Central Expressway). The street I live on gets a lot of "cut through" traffic. But when I go in my bedroom, I hear nothing. It's quiet as a mouse.

And I'm in the middle of the city, where it's dense, not in some far-flung suburb or exurb in the middle of nowhere. The best of what Dallas has to offer is minutes away.

You can have Frisco and Plano.

Old 04-15-2023, 03:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
Go to Zillow to find the true boundaries of Northeast Dallas.
That's a much different definition than Google Maps' definition, with a lot of differing areas. Still, most housing stock in the Zillow boundaries is pre-1980.

Quote:
My home was built in 1979, using quality materials.
A lot of the 1950s-1970s homes had quality materials in the builds and better construction. Around the 1980s is when materials and labor quality started to decline.

Quote:
And I'm in the middle of the city, where it's dense, not in some far-flung suburb or exurb in the middle of nowhere. The best of what Dallas has to offer is minutes away.

You can have Frisco and Plano.
Recently, I was driving through a neighborhood within the Zillow boundaries of Northeast Dallas. Google would call where I was driving Lake Highlands. That neighborhood was suburban in nature. There are plenty of suburban style neighborhoods in Dallas city limits. I can see how a suburban experience within Dallas itself could be desirable. Dallas offers things that aren't as easily accessible in the suburbs.

The housing stock where I was driving was older. The suburban feel of Lake Highlands seemed like it would have been similar to a feel of a Plano or Frisco, except the housing stock is newer there and the schools are likely better. Newer housing stock and the ratings around the school system are what attracts people to far flung suburbs.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:17 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Recently, I was driving through a neighborhood within the Zillow boundaries of Northeast Dallas. Google would call where I was driving Lake Highlands. That neighborhood was suburban in nature. There are plenty of suburban style neighborhoods in Dallas city limits. I can see how a suburban experience within Dallas itself could be desirable. Dallas offers things that aren't as easily accessible in the suburbs.
It is awesome.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:59 PM

Stipulating that Zillow's exact definition of "Northeast Dallas" is ridiculous, I think the real news here is the incredible demand for housing and the popularity of the local area.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:46 AM

113 posts, read 103,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Stipulating that Zillow's exact definition of "Northeast Dallas" is ridiculous, I think the real news here is the incredible demand for housing and the popularity of the local area.
This is wonderful news. While NE Dallas ranks #1 in the list, other top ranked Dallas communities include Preston Hollow and Far North Dallas in this NY Times article. It just makes sense - these three areas are all good locations and reflect demands from diverse groups of people. Keep in mind this is a nationwide ranking.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:17 AM

Gotta chime in once more: There are only two places I've read anyone use the term "Northeast Dallas," outside of Zillow.

1. For the Dallas Police department, "Northeast Dallas" includes, in addition to Lake Highlands and Far East Dallas, Lakewood and the neighborhoods north of Mockingbird (but *not* Lakewood Heights, Lakewood Hills or the rest of East Dallas).

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_227155414
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_283324192

2. For the Dallas Morning News, "Northeast Dallas" is the area between Lake Highlands, Lakewood and US-75.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/the-of...7083043138592/

But I don't think it's a very commonly used term in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas