Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 21,048 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (Irving to be specific) from a climate that doesn't see much bad weather. I don't like storms or rain and am terrified of the chance of a tornado. I live in a 3rd floor apartment and am wondering, what is the procedure for me if there is a tornado warning? I know I need to get the the lowest level, but do I knock on my neighbor's door (even in the middle of the night) and what if they don't open up?!

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
I've been following the weather lately. I see about tornadoes in various places in the US, such as Tennessee, in Colorado, in Oklahoma, etc., but nothing about tornados in DFW.

If you'd follow the news more closely, you'd feel better about the anxiety about the imminent threat of a tornado.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace437 View Post
Hi. I am new to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area (Irving to be specific) from a climate that doesn't see much bad weather. I don't like storms or rain and am terrified of the chance of a tornado. I live in a 3rd floor apartment and am wondering, what is the procedure for me if there is a tornado warning? I know I need to get the the lowest level, but do I knock on my neighbor's door (even in the middle of the night) and what if they don't open up?!

Thanks in advance!!!
The worst of the tornado season usually ends around June 15, but they can strike any time of year. May is usually the month with the most severe weather, but that isn't always the case.

I would definitely go downstairs to my neighbor's in the event of a potential tornado. You don't want to be three floors us.

When in CA when the earthquake of 1971 hit, I had been living 9 days in my own apartment on the 2nd floor and when the building began shaking, I didn't hesitate to grab my coat and purse, run downstairs, and was about to pound on the door of the neighbors below me. I had already heard the wife and her blood curdling screams . I saw a guy in the courtyard and asked him if I could go to his apartment. He said I could and to get under the table with his wife and child. He then joined us.

You might want to plan with a neighbor for such an incident. Some people would be ticked because they sleep through storms and take them ever so non-chalantly, but others would be welcoming. My neighbors have knocked on my bedroom window before in the middle of the night because of severe weather heading our way. They awakened me and we all went down into my storm cellar. It was nice to have company.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 21,048 times
Thank you for the reply. I will talk to my neighbors about it. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
You might also talk to the apartment complex and see if they open up the clubhouse for emergencies.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace437 View Post

Thanks in advance!!!
There is very little or almost no chance of a tornado in Dallas. I think the last one actually in the city limits was in the 1950's.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:39 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
There is very little or almost no chance of a tornado in Dallas. I think the last one actually in the city limits was in the 1950's.
That isn't so. Dallas County is in Tornado Alley and anything can happen regarding severe weather. Saying very little or almost no chance of having one is a bit naive to someone who isn't from here.

My native Texan brother-in-law once told me the safest place to be during a tornado was a mobile home. He was not a stupid man, but that's one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard. He had me convinced not knowing any better until I moved here and found out differently as I knew nothing about tornadoes way back then.

By the way grace437, you're wise for realizing you must come down from three stories up in severe weather. Many Texans wouldn't even think to do that.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That isn't so. Dallas County is in Tornado Alley and anything can happen regarding severe weather. Saying very little or almost no chance of having one is a bit naive.
Tell me about it.......

This
was just 30 miles away in Fort Worth......

This might have been a weak tornado, but don't think something worse wont happen to Dallas.......

Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Tell me about it.......

This
was just 30 miles away in Fort Worth......

This might have been a weak tornado, but don't think something worse wont happen to Dallas.......
Well, anything COULD happen...

But we have to consider what is reasonably likely to happen.

The plain fact is that you are much more likely to die of old age in the Dallas city limits than be swept off to Oz by a tornado. If it hasn't happened for 50 years, you can pretty much believe it's nothing to worry about.

It's one thing to live in fear when that fear is well founded. It's another thing to worry about something that has but an infinitesimal chance to occur.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:01 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Default You'll be fine

I've had international friends express concerns about this but have told them what i'll tell you, I have lived in dfw for 30 something years and have never seen a tornado.

Generally the "procedure" is to get in a bathroom or closet and close the door. Smaller rooms have a little more structural strength.

If you are going to go to a neighbors, if you are a woman it occurs to me you should consider safety of being in a stranger's place alone with someone you don't know. Maybe go with another woman or a family. But the chances you will need this are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas