Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

Well gang, Friday is the moment of truth as I'm flying into DFW for a final interview for a job in Arlington. My gf and I are also going to be looking for houses to rent should they offer me the job (fingers crossed ).

Although the job is located in Arlington, we want to live in an urban neighborhood in Dallas. For any of you familiar with Atlanta, we live in the Little Five Points area and love the walkability, historic architecture, bohemian vibe, and cool bars and restaurants in our neighborhood. I was thinking that North Oak Cliff would be a great area because:
  • Being west of the Mixmaster, the commute to Arlington will be a breeze.
  • Beautiful historic homes and buildings
  • Beautiful trees and hills reminiscent of Atlanta
  • Cool areas like the Bishop Arts District and the Belmont
  • Within 5 minutes of Downtown, Uptown, and Deep Ellum

We're looking to rent a house or townhome with 2BR/1.5+ baths in the $900-$1500 range. We've looked on the MLS listings and found some, but could anybody let me know any other good sources that list homes for rent? Also, is the neighborhood safe (by urban standards)? And are there any other neighborhoods that I should consider given my commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I always post them on craigslist --but if you just go to The Belmont or Bishop Arts to hang out ask around -- I'll bet you'll find a wealth of info. Don't forget the Belmont Bar closes a bit early.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:26 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
There's a coffee shop in Bishop Arts called the Nodding Dog - they probably have a bulletin board and may have some rentals posted.

Also look in the Dallas Observer. And try Good Space - a company that buys historic bldgs around Bishop Arts, rehabs them and rents them.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM

78 posts, read 297,093 times
You want to stay east of westmoreland, west of 35 and south of 30. Definitely North of Kiest. The further North the better. North of Illinois is better, North of Davis is Ideal. One major exception is Winnetka heights which is south of Davis and is one of the best nieghborhoods in oak cliff. This is a pretty good starting point but you'll just have to drive it and see for yourself.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8drummy View Post
You want to stay east of westmoreland, west of 35 and south of 30. Definitely North of Kiest. The further North the better. North of Illinois is better, North of Davis is Ideal. One major exception is Winnetka heights which is south of Davis and is one of the best nieghborhoods in oak cliff. This is a pretty good starting point but you'll just have to drive it and see for yourself.
What exactly are the boundaries for Winnetka Heights?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
What exactly are the boundaries for Winnetka Heights?
There may be some minor deviations, but Winnetka Hts. is roughly bounded by:

Davis St. on the north.
Twelfth St. on the south.
Rosemont on the west.
Willomet on the east (or perhaps it is Tyler St.).

Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
might try this realtor site ==click on part of map you are interested in leasing

FIND YOUR LEASE .com

Winnetka Hts has web site for its neighborhood assoc
Winnetka Heights :: Historic Neighborhood in Old Oak Cliff, Dallas, Texas
but lots of the entries are older so don't know how useful it might be

also this about the neighborhood from past Dallas news article
Winnetka Heights - Dallas Business Journal:
and this one
Cliff Dweller Magazine :: Living the Good Life in Winnetka Heights (http://www.cliffdwellermagazine.com/articles/archive/november-2006-articles/feature-stories/living-the-good-life-in-winnetka-heights/ - broken link)

this is about the housing market and the core neighborhoods like Winnetka
Cliff Dweller Magazine :: In Focus: Bubble Free in OC (http://www.cliffdwellermagazine.com/articles/archive/march-2008/cover-story/bubble-free-in-oc-0308/ - broken link)

Last edited by loves2read; 05-07-2008 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8drummy View Post
You can actually go a little east of 35 so long as you stay in Beckley Club or Cedar Oaks. It sits just to the southeast of Beckley and Clarendon. Also, at the southwest corner of Kiest and Hampton is Kiestwood which is a very nice neighborhood of 50s ranch homes.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 86,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
You can actually go a little east of 35 so long as you stay in Beckley Club or Cedar Oaks. It sits just to the southeast of Beckley and Clarendon. Also, at the southwest corner of Kiest and Hampton is Kiestwood which is a very nice neighborhood of 50s ranch homes.
Can you tell me more about Cedar Oaks?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 12,190 times
Default Renting in North Oak Cliff

south-to-west,
Welcome to Dallas and congrats on finding "the cliff" I moved here 4 years ago from NYC and love it.

I hope this isn't out of bounds on the forum...if so, apologies up front. Not a Realtor, just a consultant with a house to rent in North Oak CLiff . It fits your description and is not up on craigslist yet. Just email me through the forum for details.

As for where to live, the closer you stay to I30, the quicker your commute to almost anywhere.

Have you seen Old Oak Cliff Conservation League - Home yet? Good source for Oak Cliff boundaries and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: