Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 01:38 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Agreed!

Since I'm a city nerd, I was listening to a city council briefing about the replacement of 345. I heard Michael Morris (Director of Transportation for the North Central Texas Council of Governments) say, he's trying to figure out a way to stop the sprawl from continuing until the Red River. He said it is completely unsustainable. As he was saying it, I thought about the many transportation projects he probably helped to push that made the sprawl that we're seeing today possible.
Did he say how or why spread to the Red would be unsustainable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 02:54 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Did he say how or why spread to the Red would be unsustainable?
He was referring to the increased commute time that will occur and how sprawl encourages more cars. Also how the inner city needs to be densified. That was his argument for the city to move forward with trenching and decking over 345. So, it will allow for a potential to develop on the decks to densify/reunite the urban core. IDK If he was just saying that to get the project to go through though...

Old 05-23-2023, 02:58 PM

3,885 posts, read 2,197,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
Updated Top Ten Combined metro areas, based on 2022 Census estimates:
1. New York City
2. LA

3.Wash/Balt
9,968,104 Previously #4
4. Chicago
9,806,184 Previously #3
5. San Jose/San Fran
9,482,708 Previously #5
6. DFW
8,449,932 Previously #7
7. Boston
8,434,341 Previously #6
8. Houston
7,533,096 Previously #9
9. Philadelphia
7,381,187 Previously #8
10. Atlanta
7,088,898 Previously #10
Thanks for sharing the updated info oil capital.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:19 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
He was referring to the increased commute time that will occur and how sprawl encourages more cars. Also how the inner city needs to be densified. That was his argument for the city to move forward with trenching and decking over 345. So, it will allow for a potential to develop on the decks to densify/reunite the urban core. IDK If he was just saying that to get the project to go through though...
Thanks.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,083,698 times
Quote:
Agreed!

Since I'm a city nerd, I was listening to a city council briefing about the replacement of 345. I heard Michael Morris (Director of Transportation for the North Central Texas Council of Governments) say, he's trying to figure out a way to stop the sprawl from continuing until the Red River. He said it is completely unsustainable. As he was saying it, I thought about the many transportation projects he probably helped to push that made the sprawl that we're seeing today possible.
It is unsustainable. We're only reading about a small number of developments now, but even those will end up taking a lot longer than people think to have any meaningful impact if they happen at all. It's been my experience that these kinds of projects typically lag their estimated time frame by a good many years, sometimes as much as ten years or more as you go farther out. The modern economy will no longer support the kind of commercial development that has propped up existing cities.

Some random entry-level housing development out in the middle of nowhere is not really newsworthy. These developers are already many years behind schedule, and they can't even keep up with what they have going on right now.

It takes a lot more than a road network to keep a city going. Just take a look at California City in southern California.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:09 PM

377 posts, read 382,280 times
I dont get it. Where are these people going to work? Are they really going to drive from Denison or Pottsboro every day to work in Frisco/McKinney?

Prosper/Celina doesn't have a job base to draw people from the border areas.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:17 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,083,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I dont get it. Where are these people going to work? Are they really going to drive from Denison or Pottsboro every day to work in Frisco/McKinney?

Prosper/Celina doesn't have a job base to draw people from the border areas.

I think the intent was that with the introduction of this chip factory, they would work there in Sherman, and that the chip plant would bring in tons of high-paying jobs, either directly or indirectly.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:29 AM

537 posts, read 449,667 times
The Metroplex already extends in Oklahoma and has. I-35 goes to the Winstar and US 75 (Central Expressway) goes to the Choctaw. Both of those parking lots are all people from North Texas/ DFW Metroplex. At this point any further development along those routes is simply filling in the gaps. On the East side the Metroplex goes to Greenville or further. On the West side it extends to Weatherford or further. One the South side a little harder to say Waxahachie, Ennis, and Alvarado. I am just going by the major interstates and US 75. I have watched D/FW grow and the one thing that is consistent is that it does grow. The census definitions may not necessarily officially agree with me, but my "unofficial" boundaries are truthful, especially when you consider who drives where to work.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
The Metroplex already extends in Oklahoma and has. I-35 goes to the Winstar and US 75 (Central Expressway) goes to the Choctaw. Both of those parking lots are all people from North Texas/ DFW Metroplex. At this point any further development along those routes is simply filling in the gaps. On the East side the Metroplex goes to Greenville or further. On the West side it extends to Weatherford or further. One the South side a little harder to say Waxahachie, Ennis, and Alvarado. I am just going by the major interstates and US 75. I have watched D/FW grow and the one thing that is consistent is that it does grow. The census definitions may not necessarily officially agree with me, but my "unofficial" boundaries are truthful, especially when you consider who drives where to work.
On US 75, there are development gaps between Anna and Sherman. Van Alystne and Howe aren't much.

After Denton, there isn't much off of 35 until Oklahoma.

I don't like the increasing development north of US 380. I also didn't like how much Frisco has grown. Too much development northward. Prosper and Celina are becoming the next Frisco. Frisco was a small town in the 1990s. Frisco was starting to get overdeveloped in the early 2000s and had lost its small town element by 2010.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:53 AM

679 posts, read 274,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Typically, I think "Metroplex" refers to the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Statistical Area, which does indeed include Weatherford, Waxahachie, Ennis, Alvarado, and Greenville. But it does not extend into Oklahoma, or for that matter, to the Red River.

The Dallas-Fort Worth Combined Statistical Area extends to the Red River along I-35 (but not in to Oklahoma), and extends in to Oklahoma to include Durant along US 75; further south to include Corsicana, further southwest to include Granbury, and further west to include Mineral Wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas