Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2023, 10:57 PM

16 posts, read 13,072 times

Advertisements

My brain hurts. I found a great house north of dallas that has most of what I want, but the Floodfactor rating that shows up on redfin lists it as a 6/10 "Major" risk. Some of the light blue color touches the property on their map and shows the street as all blue, as well as an entire house 2 houses away. It says the property's risk of flooding is increasing as weather patterns change. According to the FEMA map, it's in a zone x which is low-moderate risk. The last update i can see on this is 2017. It's about a block away from a park with a creek that is a zone ae. Flood insurance is not required for the house. So...i'm at a loss. I know if i proceeded I could buy flood insurance, that's not the issue, but i honesty don't want to deal with a higher risk of flooding. My predicament is that I cannot figure out how much weight to give the floodfactor rating vs the FEMA map, and don't know if i should be concerned. I also wonder if this will be an issue in the future with a future buyer if/when i sell. I know there are experts like hydrologists and such, but i'm trying to make a decision before offering and as we know time is of the essence in this market.

Does anyone have thoughts on the legitimacy of floodfactor? The cynic in me wonders if doomsday climate change predictions weigh on it heavily. Or could this be an elevation issue? I wonder because the house before this has a small retaining wall 4/10 risk, this one has no retaining wall, and 2 houses after is completely covered in blue but shows the same 6/10 risk. Can someone pls shed some light on this? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 11:25 PM

252 posts, read 210,282 times
Find a new home if it bothers you enough to make a post about it on the internet.

You will have the same issue when you go to sell your homes and buyers will be hesitant to buy your home given the flood risk.

Good, fast and cheap. Pick two out of three.

Right now you are going with fast and cheap. Spend more and get a home that doesn't have flood risk.

Old 06-02-2023, 05:31 AM

3,088 posts, read 8,448,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdash11 View Post
My brain hurts. I found a great house north of dallas that has most of what I want, but the Floodfactor rating that shows up on redfin lists it as a 6/10 "Major" risk. Some of the light blue color touches the property on their map and shows the street as all blue, as well as an entire house 2 houses away. It says the property's risk of flooding is increasing as weather patterns change. According to the FEMA map, it's in a zone x which is low-moderate risk. The last update i can see on this is 2017. It's about a block away from a park with a creek that is a zone ae. Flood insurance is not required for the house. So...i'm at a loss. I know if i proceeded I could buy flood insurance, that's not the issue, but i honesty don't want to deal with a higher risk of flooding. My predicament is that I cannot figure out how much weight to give the floodfactor rating vs the FEMA map, and don't know if i should be concerned. I also wonder if this will be an issue in the future with a future buyer if/when i sell. I know there are experts like hydrologists and such, but i'm trying to make a decision before offering and as we know time is of the essence in this market.

Does anyone have thoughts on the legitimacy of floodfactor? The cynic in me wonders if doomsday climate change predictions weigh on it heavily. Or could this be an elevation issue? I wonder because the house before this has a small retaining wall 4/10 risk, this one has no retaining wall, and 2 houses after is completely covered in blue but shows the same 6/10 risk. Can someone pls shed some light on this? TIA!

Where is "north of Dallas"? IMO I would use the official maps for flooding and not any second source map or report. You can access the various mapping at these locations.

FEMA FIRM Maps https://www.fema.gov/flood-maps

ArcGIS Mapping - This is suppose to be the recent FIRM maps in a interactive mapping system and easier to use than the actual FIRM mapping system

Your County GIS mapping system - Local variations occur due to many factors that FEMA does not necessarily keep up with as you would expect. Local Counties, municipalities, etc., can create updated maps but they must also be approved by FEMA and may not necessarily show in real time with the FEMA FIRM information.

Not using the third party mapping services for this removes the propensity for games with the information they provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: