Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 07:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Nothing silly about it.

$8K is somewhere close to the average annual TX public school per pupil spend. The proposed amount cannot and should not be enough to cover ESD or Hocksday etc.
No but it can help people get into cheaper church school
Abbott has no thought that schools like Hockaday will be the school of choice for that money
It will be conservative Protestant evangelical schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 08:20 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,572,066 times
Quote:
Nothing silly about it.

$8K is somewhere close to the average annual TX public school per pupil spend. The proposed amount cannot and should not be enough to cover ESD or Hocksday etc.
So it's not going to be all that effective. I'll repeat...silly.

Akiba $20k

Alcuin $24k

Ann and Nate Levine $24k

Dallas Academy $20k

Dallas International $21k

Episcopal School $27k

Good Sheppherd $19k

Hockaday $28k

Etc., etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Abbott has no thought that schools like Hockaday will be the school of choice for that money
In other words....lesser schools. So obviously not trying to level the playing field.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:40 AM

19,864 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
It is unconstitutional since it uses government money to help support private/church schools

Of course Abbott doesn’t care about that—most GOP educational policies are unconstitutional
The GOP has long wanted to kill public education—especially QUALITY public education which tends to make people think—
The GOP wants to use schools to indoctrinate children in GOP beliefs rather than truly educate them

No idea if it will pass but I am sure this biased Supreme Court would not view it as unconstitutional
Most of that is cheerleading.

To pick one. We tend to vote the GOP's way. Likely no one here demanded more academically from their kids than my my wife and I, so don't even throw the indoctrination/low standards charge my way. We sincerely tried to make public education work for our kids and it simply didn't meet minimum expectations........at the time zero advance math options for elementary age kids and a 2nd grade math teacher who A. squeezed all the fun and wonder out of math B. clearly had terrible math skills herself C. she was an ardent "system" over kids thinker - don't solve problems in your head etc.. Two weeks after and intense blow up with the teacher and an in year move into a private it was the precise opposite....the math teacher was a retired engineer with these bits as part of her MO.....the correct answer really matters, if you can work all/part of a problem in your head do so, memorize your tables etc.

Excuse the typos no glasses.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
So it's not going to be all that effective. I'll repeat...silly.

Akiba $20k

Alcuin $24k

Ann and Nate Levine $24k

Dallas Academy $20k

Dallas International $21k

Episcopal School $27k

Good Sheppherd $19k

Hockaday $28k

Etc., etc

In other words....lesser schools. So obviously not trying to level the playing field.

Both my kids graduated from North Dallas privates and legions....maybe a 100 other kids from our friend pool as well. I know roughly what they cost.

ETA - picking a handful from the most expensive schools in Texas doesn't make your point.

Last edited by EDS_; 10-15-2023 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-15-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:

As an example St. Rita (North Dallas Catholic) a prime feeder into Cistercian, Jesuit, Ursuline and Bishop Lynch.

Defraying $8K will make the difference for a lot of families. K-8 tuition at St. Rita for example is $9,550 for partitioners and around $15k for non-partitioners.

There can be no possible claim based in reality that St. Rita offers anything short of an excellent education - much more demanding that local publics - and it's neither conservative* nor evangelical. Rinse and repeat hundred of times across Texas.

*The Pastoral Administrator at St. Rita is a great human being and also hard left.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Most of that is cheerleading.

To pick one. We tend to vote the GOP's way. Likely no one here demanded more academically from their kids than my my wife and I, so don't even throw the indoctrination/low standards charge my way. We sincerely tried to make public education work for our kids and it simply didn't meet minimum expectations........at the time zero advance math options for elementary age kids and a 2nd grade math teacher who A. squeezed all the fun and wonder out of math B. clearly had terrible math skills herself C. she was an ardent "system" over kids thinker - don't solve problems in your head etc.. Two weeks after and intense blow up with the teacher and an in year move into a private it was the precise opposite....the math teacher was a retired engineer with these bits as part of her MO.....the correct answer really matters, if you can work all/part of a problem in your head do so, memorize your tables etc.

Excuse the typos no glasses.
Maybe you are not a typical GOP
There are many others like you but think you are not who Abbott is trying to win over
And the schools listed in the prior post are NOT the kind of schools Abbott is hoping to support
He wants a LOCAL church to start a school and have the children of members go
He certainly doesn’t think any of these monies would go to support a quality education like Hockaday or St Marks offers

We had friend who lived in Alerio and had her sons go to a private-church related school there
She found out only after a year that some of the classes did not meet credential requirements from the state so her sons were just treading water vs moving forward—probably going backwards from what they have achieved academically…

You have your opinion
I have mine
I just know the political party that is working to subvert public education with religious indoctrination is the GOP

Old 10-15-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
As an example St. Rita (North Dallas Catholic) a prime feeder into Cistercian, Jesuit, Ursuline and Bishop Lynch.

Defraying $8K will make the difference for a lot of families. K-8 tuition at St. Rita for example is $9,550 for partitioners and around $15k for non-partitioners.

There can be no possible claim based in reality that St. Rita offers anything short of an excellent education - much more demanding that local publics - and it's neither conservative* nor evangelical. Rinse and repeat hundred of times across Texas.

*The Pastoral Administrator at St. Rita is a great human being and also hard left.
Once again I will just say that those are NOT the types of schools Abbot is seeing to support

Just wait if the bill passes and goes into operation and see if quality schools are getting more applications or if small evangelical churches are starting schools and being supported with these public monies

And IF people get this money it should be counted as unearned income and be taxable
But that won’t happen for sure

Old 10-15-2023, 09:06 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,572,066 times
Quote:
Both my kids graduated from North Dallas privates and legions....maybe a 100 other kids from our friend pool as well. I know roughly what they cost.

ETA - picking a handful from the most expensive schools in Texas doesn't make your point.

That's more than a handful and yes it does. If the goal is not to level the playing field than it's nothing than a facade. Silly.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Once again I will just say that those are NOT the types of schools Abbot is seeing to support

Just wait if the bill passes and goes into operation and see if quality schools are getting more applications or if small evangelical churches are starting schools and being supported with these public monies

And IF people get this money it should be counted as unearned income and be taxable
But that won’t happen for sure
So Abbott is excluding Catholic schools?

Old 10-15-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
That's more than a handful and yes it does. If the goal is not to level the playing field than it's nothing than a facade. Silly.
I gave a clear and fairly detailed counter example above.

Repeating the word silly does not improve your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: