Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2023, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

I recently contacted a local door company to replace the weatherstripping on three exterior doors, and replace the lower door sweeps. They say they need to pull the doors off the hinges to install the sweeps, which doesn't sound unreasonable.

The quote I was given is a hair under $1000 for the three doors. I've never priced this type of service before, so no idea if this is a normal going rate for that kind of work, but $320+ per door does seem like it's a bit excessive.

Am I wrong, and this is really what this should cost, or is it really as high as it seems to be to me? If it is excessively high, anyone have any recommendations for this type of service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 06:00 AM

3,084 posts, read 8,438,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puente0101 View Post
I recently contacted a local door company to replace the weatherstripping on three exterior doors, and replace the lower door sweeps. They say they need to pull the doors off the hinges to install the sweeps, which doesn't sound unreasonable.

The quote I was given is a hair under $1000 for the three doors. I've never priced this type of service before, so no idea if this is a normal going rate for that kind of work, but $320+ per door does seem like it's a bit excessive.

Am I wrong, and this is really what this should cost, or is it really as high as it seems to be to me? If it is excessively high, anyone have any recommendations for this type of service?

Did they bother to break out parts and labor in that quote? Unless they are going to the door manufacturer for the manufacturer's replacement then they will go down to Big Box for replacements. Big Box is approximately $50 - $60 per door for materials.

Have you tried partially removing the side and top seals? Most if not all door seals are set in a groove in the door trim. They simply pull out and are set back in place. The bottom door sweep is different if you use the manufacturer replacement as it typically does require removing the door to remove the old and properly securing the new in place. However there are lesser quality (many times quite functional) replacement sweeps that simply slide over the bottom of the door and can be secured from either side.

Another issue that you have to be careful with is hopefully they perform the job properly and completely. That would be ensuring the door is properly aligned when it is re-installed other wise the seals and door may have issues.

I do respect the specialty door people's jobs but this is a case where, if you choose not to try it yourself, to see if you can find a good Handyman/Handywoman as it is a relatively simple job. I would hope their labor charges would be much different and lower.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:00 AM

19,888 posts, read 18,176,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puente0101 View Post

That quote is insane. In most cases assuming residential doors less than 200 pounds even with a lot of glass one guy can do that job and drink a Thermos of coffee in 90 minutes if things go well. 120 with some complications.

Re-bending the top hinge to correct sagging, can be done with a Knucklebender* before removal or after. Takes about 10 seconds literally.

Pulling a door and laying it on low saw-horses or laying it knob side down or similar takes a pro about 1 minute. I can do either in 2.

R&Ring sweeps on a pulled door takes about 2 minutes 3 for a perfectionist.

R&Ring custom cut pinch fit weather stripping with the door out takes about 2 minutes to yield perfection. Non-pinch fit maybe double that.

*A Knucklebender is a modified Crescent style adjustable wrench made specifically to re-bend hinges. I have one.......cost like $16.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas