Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 11:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,086 times

Advertisements

I was recently looking at the map and wondering if there were not any cities in the DFW metro area bigger than a bread box that have no big roller coasters (current or proposed) and require city streets less than 50 mph to get in and out.

I think Wylie might be one by the looks of it, and that's only if you don't count 78. Am I missing any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 02:03 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I was recently looking at the map and wondering if there were not any cities in the DFW metro area bigger than a bread box that have no big roller coasters (current or proposed) and require city streets less than 50 mph to get in and out.

I think Wylie might be one by the looks of it, and that's only if you don't count 78. Am I missing any others?

What are you caling the "DFW metro area" as it is defined different ways by different concerns?

What are you calling "bigger than a breadbox"?

What are you calling "roller coasters"?

How much of the city's limit can contain a road greater than 50 MPH?

If you look at the mobility plans for the State and our surrounding counties many cities small and large are on them and slated for fast and/or larger roadways. Just the new outer loop will affect many up and coming/growing cities.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
What are you caling the "DFW metro area" as it is defined different ways by different concerns?

What are you calling "bigger than a breadbox"?

What are you calling "roller coasters"?

How much of the city's limit can contain a road greater than 50 MPH?

If you look at the mobility plans for the State and our surrounding counties many cities small and large are on them and slated for fast and/or larger roadways. Just the new outer loop will affect many up and coming/growing cities.

The metro area is technically defined by the Census, so I suppose going by their definition.

Bigger than a bread box I suppose would be anything large enough to have maybe a couple of grocery stores and big box stores. Perhaps cities with 10K+ people?

Roller coasters are the high speed highways with access lanes/roads. People evidently think some of them are so much fun, they actually pay good money to ride them.

I don't mind a road 50+ if there isn't much traffic on it. 380 would obviously be unacceptable.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:30 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
The metro area is technically defined by the Census, so I suppose going by their definition.

Bigger than a bread box I suppose would be anything large enough to have maybe a couple of grocery stores and big box stores. Perhaps cities with 10K+ people?

Roller coasters are the high speed highways with access lanes/roads. People evidently think some of them are so much fun, they actually pay good money to ride them.

I don't mind a road 50+ if there isn't much traffic on it. 380 would obviously be unacceptable.

The bold requirement above would eliminate probably all such locations to begin with. Even the smaller municipalities that were close enough to major arteries have expanded their ETJ's to include them and/or are on one mobility plan or another for expansions. As for the multiple grocery stores and big box stores requirement would also eliminate everything else.

Just out of curiosity what is the purpose of this post/question?

Old 02-03-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The bold requirement above would eliminate probably all such locations to begin with. Even the smaller municipalities that were close enough to major arteries have expanded their ETJ's to include them and/or are on one mobility plan or another for expansions. As for the multiple grocery stores and big box stores requirement would also eliminate everything else.

Just out of curiosity what is the purpose of this post/question?
I think one or two stores would qualify, especially for a smaller land area. I find it difficult to believe Wylie would be so unique as big as the area is and as many cities as there are on both the Dallas and Fort Worth sides.

It's largely a matter of curiosity in my case.

Old 02-03-2024, 11:32 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
You’ll have to move somewhere really, really small to find a town without a single controlled-access freeway. Maybe look at Celeste, Leonard, or Trenton? Of course those places will just have a basic grocery store and no big box retail. You’ll also still have to drive in to a larger town for any medical care.

Old 02-03-2024, 02:17 PM

Looking more in-depth, I was actually able to dig up some myself. Several have one on a small and/or insignificant portion of the boundary with one, but they wouldn't be too meaningful for access. In addition to Wylie, it looks like Colleyville, Flower Mound, and Highland Village fit the bill, at least to a significant enough extent that they aren't meaningful parts of the city.

Quite a few more cities of significance have some big ones on the boundaries but not cutting through the city, and they aren't serving as a lone route in or out.

I didn't know there was a city called Leonard. I looked it up, and it looks depressing. Then again, so does everything east of 75 north of Fairview.

Old 02-03-2024, 05:49 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
You’re going to need a huge budget to buy a house in Colleyville, FloMo, or Highland Village…

Old 02-03-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You’re going to need a huge budget to buy a house in Colleyville, FloMo, or Highland Village…

I'm not interested in buying a house there.Your comment got me curious though, and it would seem the only reason you would need a huge budget is that you would need a huge house and/or yard. There is not much in the way of small, zero lot line housing at any price, and what is there is dreadful looking.

Old 02-03-2024, 10:56 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Yes, Wylie, Sachse and Murphy dont have any freeways running though them, although Sachse and Murphy are a stone throw away from PGBT. There was a push to get approval for a controlled access highway through Wylie, but it got defeated.

You should also note that there are several towns in which the highways run on the edge of town so for all intents and purposes, the vast majority of residents can easily avoid the highway if they want to. You might want to check into those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas