Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:53 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 3 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,532,474 times

Advertisements

Based on the screen name of the OP and where they are moving from, I am going to guess he/she/they are Indian. They certainly won't be alone in Frisco. There are so many people from India there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 05:08 PM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Eh. IMO earthquakes in CA are like tornadoes in TX. I spend several months a year in southern CA and have never felt any earthquakes. And people in CA talk about earthquakes that happen far from their own home as though they were personally effected by it, same as tornadoes in TX.

Hail in DFW is kind of a big deal - when it hits you might have to get your stuff repaired. In 14 years of home ownership in TX that's happened to me once. My relatives have been hit by one notable earthquake that did a tiny bit of damage in that same 14 years.

The relentless heat in TX summer is the only really notable weather phenomena in DFW that you expect to be impacted by and often.
The hail I can see a case for.. ..it does suck.. ..Tornadoes though generally effect an even smaller area than Earthquakes do.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,093,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
But you are still there. Why? Texas needs skilled and unskilled labor. In the DFW area using common sense generally is enough. Have some water, food, light, blankets and necessary medication and pet supplies for a couple of days. Who does not have that at home?
I live here because I don't drive on highways, and I would not get on a plane or even go to an airport for all the tea in China.

I could look into a train ride, but I don't find any particular location in the nation very appealing. I've read that the super wealthy have been flocking to the country of Malta, and I can see why. It does sound like an intriguing place, although I've never been and can't say for sure.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Based on the screen name of the OP and where they are moving from, I am going to guess he/she/they are Indian. They certainly won't be alone in Frisco. There are so many people from India there.

I don't know. I think they're all moving to Celina now. Either that or the entire nation of India has been given a free pass to completely invade the nation.

Old 04-26-2024, 12:33 AM

77 posts, read 59,728 times
If you're coming from New Jersey please bring the good Italian food, sandwiches, pizza, bagels, etc.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:47 AM

5,633 posts, read 4,956,784 times
Interesting that no one has mentioned ice storms...DFW and Texas in general doesn't handle them terribly well (compared to places like NJ), and there is definitely a risk for them every winter. They do suck.

I have to say, being in the Houston area where the risk of severe weather is much higher on folks' list of concerns (for good reason), the people who are concerned about moving to DFW because of severe weather makes me chuckle, especially the tornadoes, which are technically a risk over most of the middle of the country. The hail risk is definitely real though, so I don't sniff at that.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:06 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 3 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,532,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I don't know. I think they're all moving to Celina now. Either that or the entire nation of India has been given a free pass to completely invade the nation.
The number of Indians coming to immigrate to the US hasnt changed that much. Its just how many have chosen to settle in the Dallas area that has changed. Oh well, that area would be a giant snooze fest if it weren't for people from India (among other places) that decide to go there. They help give character to an otherwise unremarkable place.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:32 AM

8,174 posts, read 3,696,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Interesting that no one has mentioned ice storms...DFW and Texas in general doesn't handle them terribly well (compared to places like NJ), and there is definitely a risk for them every winter. They do suck.

I have to say, being in the Houston area where the risk of severe weather is much higher on folks' list of concerns (for good reason), the people who are concerned about moving to DFW because of severe weather makes me chuckle, especially the tornadoes, which are technically a risk over most of the middle of the country. The hail risk is definitely real though, so I don't sniff at that.
Yes, the ice storms are bad, and very many drivers don't even try to adjust to the situation.

In terms of tornadoes/hail. We had an EF1 going through our previous house, and then years later a huge hail (2-2.5in ) over our current one. The roofs had to be replaced in both cases, but the difference was that in the former case, half of the shingles became tree decorations

Old 04-27-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The number of Indians coming to immigrate to the US hasnt changed that much. Its just how many have chosen to settle in the Dallas area that has changed. Oh well, that area would be a giant snooze fest if it weren't for people from India (among other places) that decide to go there. They help give character to an otherwise unremarkable place.
I don't believe that.
https://www.science.org/content/arti...s-stem-workers

No, they and their employers in particular are destroying our housing market and draining our resources. These CEOs and managers clamoring to get them in need to be put in their place, but then the same is true for our corrupt government. It's a sad situation all around. What you call "character" is actually corruption.

Old 04-27-2024, 12:12 PM

19,866 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I don't believe that.
https://www.science.org/content/arti...s-stem-workers

No, they and their employers in particular are destroying our housing market and draining our resources. These CEOs and managers clamoring to get them in need to be put in their place, but then the same is true for our corrupt government. It's a sad situation all around. What you call "character" is actually corruption.
It appears you should have moved to Mayberry long ago. And your long proclaimed fear of high skill immigrants is bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: