Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times

Advertisements

Oh, yeah, I see the horseflies from time to time. I did not know the june bug is related to the cockroach! And the lady bug, too? I've always liked them except when I had an infestation of them in that same 3rd floor apartment where the ciccada had clung to my window. I attribute it to the same tree whose branches draped my windows.

I could not look at those roach links, people! ugh. The other night I picked up a dead baby june bug from the carpet thinking it was fluff or dirt. ew, yuck.

I used to have two kitties who would kindly dismember crickets for me and leave body parts all over the house for me to find but they wouldn't eat them.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 PM

493 posts, read 1,762,739 times
I used to have a kitty who left presents outside the door for me, a lovely dismembered rabbit head one morning. Nice

Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM

100 posts, read 455,516 times
I love this thread. It is totally entertaining and informative at the same time. We are all traumatized from our encounters with various bugs and flies. Keep the stories coming.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
The other night I picked up a dead baby june bug from the carpet thinking it was fluff or dirt. ew, yuck.

How did you cope? I am absolutely paranoid and leary of anything dark or brown on the floor.

Well Dallas76 is loving these stories at our expense

I actually have another story. Right now I am at work, so it reminds me of a "near death" encounter I had around last year. Well our lab is actually 2 large rooms with a breezeway separating them. I was in the "back" lab watching an analysis-something inclined me to look down. There was a COCKROACH on the floor BY MY LEFT FOOT only like 1cm away from crawling on my foot or WORSE latching onto my pants and climbing up my leg *dies* What if I had not noticed until it was on me? I was spared thank goodness.

...I backed away. I get faint at the thought of what would have happened if I was sitting in one of those ergonomic chairs they have supplied us. I most likely would have slid back to an early demise as I tend to be clumsy with things on wheels. I immediately ran in the front lab where a young lady heard my scream and immediately killed the creature. She is another hero I know. And you know what? She killed it with her own SHOE. She did not throw anything. Stomped on that creature-she has courage. I had to get another person to watch my testing and it took me about 2 weeks to get the courage to work in the back lab again.

BTW no one else in the lab has had a problem other than me with a cockroach. I am a firm believer that cockroaches are evil and have a personal vendetta against me.

I have several of these stories-some have been repressed for years. When I remember one I will be most willing to share them

Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Yes, now I remember the difference. We call the june bugs just brown beetles, and they are very pesky critters! But my cat takes care of them quickly. The june bug and ladybug are related to the cockroach! All in the Order of Coleoptera.
The above was hard for me to believe that the ladybug especially was related to the cockroach and in my search, I find that not to be the case. I cannot find any information indicating such. The cockroach is in the order of Blattaria, and the ladybug and junebug are in the order of Coleoptera. I'm glad even though I think the ladybug is too cute to be related to the junebug.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:23 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,558 times
We're all going to need to watch A Bugs Life do develop some empathy for these creatures after this!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I had horses, and thus horseflies around when I was a kid. They really did/do hurt when they bite: Horse-fly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My mom thought I was having a seizure. She laughed like crazy that I was scared of a walking stick....which had crawled up my pants leg. Evil little $%&^#@! (the insect...not my mom) To this day I can't go near one.
We moved here from VA 2 years ago and the horseflies were horrible... unbearable. We had horseflies, deerflies, and greenheads... all nasty biters. We had to purchase a horsefly trap, which is a small tent with an oversized mason jar on it with a black ball that swings under it... the horseflies think the black head is a horse's head and it then flies up into the jar and can't get out. The first day the trap went up we caught about 75 horseflies.

We couldn't enjoy our pool at all. All time outside was spent swatting at the flies.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I'll kill a bug even a cockroach. What I WILL NOT DO is if working the nursery is change another kids dirty diaper. NO WAY!!! A friend laughs at me as she has seen me "in action". Or rather, non-action as I have to leave the room while I'm gagging. Cockroaches while I can not STAND the ugly, nasty, disgusting, dirty, rancid, disgusting, nasty, ugly.... things I have no problem taking care of. WHACK!!!!!!!!! And yes, even with my own shoe.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM

That joke earlier reminded me of that stupid book I had to read back in college. What was it? The one w/ the giant cockroach that talked, walked, had a job, etc? Was it Frank Kofka (sp?) that wrote it?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That joke earlier reminded me of that stupid book I had to read back in college. What was it? The one w/ the giant cockroach that talked, walked, had a job, etc? Was it Frank Kofka (sp?) that wrote it?
AHAHA! It WAS Frank KAFKA and the name of the book was "The Metamorphosis". He woke up from a bad dream (NO KIDDING) and found himself transformed into a cockroach (that ain't no "dream" that is a NIGHTMARE!).

If you find yourself unable to go to sleep at night this book should do it.
The Metamorphosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas