Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM

87 posts, read 315,732 times

Advertisements

Can you recommend a hotel with an awesome pool for little kids? Not too far, 1-2 hr drive?
Just want to take the kids away from home for a weekend.

We've already been to Barton Creek and the Woodlands Conf. (loved them!) but want to try somewhere new.

It doesn't have to have anything nearby (attraction wise), we just want to lay around the pool, play with the kids, and relax. Mostly to get out of the house while showings are going on...

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,330,637 times
Check out Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine - Grapevine Water Park - Great Wolf Lodge

Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM

We did want to try Great Wolf Lodge but didn't know if it would be fun for really young kids? Considering their ticket prices, I would hope they offer areas for families with toddlers and babies if we were to go there. Thank you!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I've actually heard not only on here but others as well that Great Wolf Lodge is MORE for the younger kids. Heard older kids and teens would get bored easily.

You mention to "just get out of the house while showings are going on"? Is your house for sale and you don't REALLY need a hotel or do you want a weekend getaway kind of thing just to be away the entire time? Or both?

You can always pack up the kids for the day and visit any one of the number of waterparks in the area (some have just splash parks for the lil ones).
There is the Allen Natatorium
City of Allen :: Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium (http://www.cityofallen.org/departments/parks_recreation/recreation/don_rodenbaugh.htm - broken link)
Plano Natatorium
City of Allen :: Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium (http://www.cityofallen.org/departments/parks_recreation/recreation/don_rodenbaugh.htm - broken link)
Hawaiian Falls (3 locations)
Hawaiian Falls
Surf and Swim in Garland
Surf and Swim - City of Garland (http://www.surfandswim.org/home/departments/Recreation+and+Cultural+Services/Parks+and+Recreation/R09-C+-+Surf+and+Swim.htm - broken link)

Now for the weekend there are all of the Texas Hill Country Resorts which are really nice. They all have a golf course, some have a bigger pool and lazy river for the kids, some have outdoor cookouts, trail rides, etc. and stuff for all ages.

Then you COULD try going down to New Braunfels for a few days. I HIGHLY recommend staying ON property and I MUCH prefer the older side over the new side. At the older side the rooms are intermingled IN w/ the park. You could literally come off of a ride and your room be RIGHT THERE! They have grills to cookout and you get a discount for the park for staying there. Room rates for the park locations are just as cheap as staying out on the highway and you don't have to pack an ice chest, drive, pay to park, run and find a table available in the shade, etc. With little kids you can go back to the room to eat lunch and take a break (nap ) and then hit the water again. Even for little ones there is plenty to do for them. We stayed for 4 days when our youngest was about 2 and it was just fine. She fell asleep in her float on the lazy river on the new side. I was in my intertube holding onto hers and we just floated around the river over and over and over for about an hour and a 1/2. I had a little hat on her head so she was fine and so was I. It was the cutest thing .

Also if your wanting to get away for the weekend w/ the kids and not worry about having to be right by the house you could drive out to Fredericksburg and enjoy some fresh peaches and the little shops for the weekend. The Sunday House is a neat place to stay w/ family rooms. Then there is Austin and San Antonio.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,309 times
Great Wolf would be a good spot. I do remember seeing a smaller section for the younger set when we were there.

If you want to check it out before actually reserving a room, you can view the entire indoor portion of the park from the lobby. Parking is free so you could go check the place out, look at the water park and then decide if that's where you want to go.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,891,175 times
I'll sayu Great wolf too.
We just were there for a night. (you get 2 days of park passes for 1 night)
Even my 14 year old had a good time.

It's got ALOT for for small kids. 1 whole area for the real small ones (under 5ish) you can't be over 48" to slide there etc...
Then the center Island is good for small and bigger kids. (slides squirts, buckets and the big dump bucket etc...

The wave pool is good for all ages. and so is the lazy river

The only things geared towards the older set are the tube slides...over 48" to ride.
and the one with the big raft may let smaller ones on with an adult.

They provide life vests free of charge.

Outside has a small pool area and 2 tube slides.(they may allow smaller kids with an adult on...not sure)

They also have this magi quest thing that is an interactive game throughout the hotel... the 8 and 11 year olds had a great time doing this. (we even went back just to finish)

Food/drinks is expensive (we brough our own snacks and bottled water)

The pizza hut pizza is good and the best deal for hungry kids.

I say go. The rooms are very generously sized. we had 2 adults and 4 kids and everyone had a bed! micos and mini fridges in room.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Thanks so much for the great ideas!!

Momof2dfw:

Both We like taking the little ones to new fun places just for the day and also really like taking 2-3 day trips to "see" the rest of TX. And since we have our home listed, it's safer for us to be gone the entire day if we have more than 1 showing scheduled. With 2 boys, hanging out at home for even 30 minutes can result in some disasters needing major clean-up. So we usually clean up Saturday morning, put all of the toys away, and head out for the day or the weekend.

Thanks so much for providing the links too! We've been planning to visit some of the local waterparks, thanks for reminding me We NEED to visit schlitterbahn (sp?). From what you describe, it sounds perfect for us. We certainly need a place to nap, cleanup, etc. And of course I can hit the outlet malls on the drive down.

I didn't even know the natatoriums were an option, I thought you had to be a member. I'll look into those too for when we need to get out for a few hours.
Thank you so much!!

See, this is what I mean about Dallas and TX being great for families, so much to do ...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Thank you for the detailed review 5stones!

Did you go during a weekend? Was it very crowded?

It sounds great. We goto Grapevine often to visit the mall and downtown and see the GWL. We've been asking ourselves if we should go or wait till the boys are older, but I think we're going to check it out. I wonder if they are fully booked for the 4th wknd, I'm gonna go check now.

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas