Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 04:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,329,140 times

Advertisements

Highland Park can be quite racist. You have to remember that Rich in the South isn't like Rich in other parts of the country. There is a lot of old money in which people inherit their money but they themselves are not very sophisticated. I found this to be the case in Dallas. There is a lot of oil money there. Remember, Dallas is less than 200 miles from Oklahoma and Arkansas. We are not talking about living near the east or west coast here

Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,511,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Highland Park can be quite racist. You have to remember that Rich in the South isn't like Rich in other parts of the country. There is a lot of old money in which people inherit their money but they themselves are not very sophisticated. I found this to be the case in Dallas. There is a lot of oil money there. Remember, Dallas is less than 200 miles from Oklahoma and Arkansas. We are not talking about living near the east or west coast here
Yes, but comments like this don't tell me that HP is racist. What makes you say it's racist has been my question all along? Specific examples. I have specific examples from places I've lived which I found to not be conducive to mixed-race families, but they weren't necessarily the areas I would have guessed. I'm not sure what you mean by people in HP not being very sophisticated either. I don't know Dallas at all, but I will say I've met people from HP on Nantucket and they were indeed very sophisticated.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 AM

6,832 posts, read 14,068,657 times
I will just offer this. If a black person moves to Highland Park and is interviewed a year later, my guess is they would offer these observations. For the most part people have been friendly to me. Some have welcome me with open arms and while a few have rolled their eyes. The vast majority of them have been cordial toward me and my family. There has been some challenges but I am getting more and more comfortable with the residents and they are getting comfortable with me. It has not been as bad as I thought it would be but it has not been totally great. It's a work in progress but I think the progress is positive for the most part.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 AM

859 posts, read 2,122,798 times
Wow, who knew a thread like this would get so much traction, I'm shocked.
Here's the deal frogandtoad, I think HP is a great place to raise a family, regardless of ethnicity. Are there those that are prejudice in HP, yes, but the same can be said for Preston Hollow, Plano, DeSoto Lancaster, etc. etc, you get the point. Who cares what others think, and if anyone has a problem with someone else b/c of the color of their skin then they are have some deep rooted insecurities. Remember, if you are looking for racism you will find it and if you are looking for a friendly community you will find that as well, it all depends on your outlook.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:18 AM

273 posts, read 701,519 times
I have family in HP and I am white and can tell you from personal experience that HP under the surface is very racial. They will be nice and although you won’t have any crosses burned on your front lawn you will understand and get the feeling that people there in HP just want the place to stay the way it has for the past century, 98% white.

Knowing what I know I wouldn’t suggest living there and that goes the same for me, I personally don’t live there and wouldn’t.

Although I have the income to live there I just don’t like the atmosphere and petty gossip and stuck up attitudes there including from my own family that lives there.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 PM

16 posts, read 48,047 times
If you want a different perspective on HP folks ask most any charity in Dallas how they feel about them. The guy who did my shoulder surgery lives there and is quite the humanitarian. I was pretty much a charity case on workman's comp, he usually works on professional football players ect. He also had me over to his house to work on his kids computer and his laptop. As I posted earlier it is hard to understand the needs/concerns of HP. It is an easy cop-out to blame everything on being prejudice.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,474,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
That particular poster is known for his disdain for African-Americans on this board, so no surprise that stood out to you.

Its not that I dont like blacks. (And I dont like saying african americans either because 99% of the blacks are not african and have never been to africa)

I just dont like the towns/cities where the majority of the population is black.

And by the way Im not racist towards hispanic people (I am half hispanic)

And some of the topics here really surprise me. You guys take this internet stuff way to seriously.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not true! There have been way more than 2 black students in HPISD. There were at least 3 in the classes surrounding mine in the late 90s and at least a few more when my younger sibling was there in the early 2000s.
Two! Three!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,076,003 times
Actually, Seattle and Portland are more racist than DFW.

How do I know?

They have a larger percentage of caucasians in their total population than in metros like Dallas or Houston or Atlanta.

So if we measure the degree of racism by the percentage of downtrodden racial minorities, they are certainly more racist.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,076,003 times
Let's compare the degree of racism in Highland Park to the racism that exists in Arab countries.

Now nobody argues that EVERY arab wants to kill as many Americans as possible, but it is true that many of them do... and no other ethnic group appears to be that committed to exterminating us. So Arab highjackers go through a plane and cut the throat of any non-Arab with an American passport.

I doubt that Highland Park contains very many young men who will martyr themselves to kill as many African-Americans as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas