Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM

16 posts, read 68,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the princetonian View Post
Due to an enterprise relocation, I will be moving to Dallas by the end of this year. Assigned a corporate relocation firm, I was specifically shown Highland Park, University Park, and Preston Hollow, as these areas are consistent with the area that I currently reside and have resided in the past.

I have decided that I prefer Highland Park over the other two areas. My question, with so little diversity, how would a Princeton educated black man be received in nearly all-white Highland Park?

PS - I'm looking on the east end of Highland Park, which is from what I have gathered, more affluent.

Thanks.
if you are anywhere in the north black people are not easy to find.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 AM

16 posts, read 47,965 times
Default Former transit bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
"the racist sections might be out east of dallas, or south oak cliff or west dallas "

Well I was hoping not to throw this in the mix but what the hey the facts are the facts:

I drove transit 11 years in Dallas and was assaulted 6 times and it does not make me prejudice to notice every one of them were blacks in South Dallas or Oak Cliff. The last one costs me my career and about an inch off the tip of my left collar bone due to bone spurs being triggered. I did nothing to provoke these assaults other than try to collect bus fare or inform someone not to smoke or drink on the bus. I have many black friends that have treated me just like family from all parts of Dallas. Dallas does have it's share of ratial tension but from what I can see it has come a long way since I drove in 1996.

I have heard many say the East coast and West coast is not so prejudice but then again I have heard it is only not openly. I have always said if you really want things to change there's only 1 job that needs a quota on it that's CEO. There are plenty of minority candidates that are plenty sharp enough. (Colon Powell comes to mind) Rarely do things change from the bottom up.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George_of_the_Jungal View Post
Well I was hoping not to throw this in the mix but what the hey the facts are the facts:

I drove transit 11 years in Dallas and was assaulted 6 times and it does not make me prejudice to notice every one of them were blacks in South Dallas or Oak Cliff. The last one costs me my career and about an inch off the tip of my left collar bone due to bone spurs being triggered. I did nothing to provoke these assaults other than try to collect bus fare or inform someone not to smoke or drink on the bus. I have many black friends that have treated me just like family from all parts of Dallas. Dallas does have it's share of ratial tension but from what I can see it has come a long way since I drove in 1996.

I have heard many say the East coast and West coast is not so prejudice but then again I have heard it is only not openly. I have always said if you really want things to change there's only 1 job that needs a quota on it that's CEO. There are plenty of minority candidates that are plenty sharp enough. (Colon Powell comes to mind) Rarely do things change from the bottom up.

The original question asked if HP is racist. Your talking about specific individuals not he communities themselves. White residents are moving to North Oak Cliff everyday. Oak Cliff has done nothing to deter them from doing so. As I stated earlier I do not believe the majority the of the citizens of HP or racist. I believe they chose to live there because of the great tree lined streets and excellent schools. I doubt racism played any part of them moving to the area. Having said this the city of HP has a history of trying to keep the town lily white. They have been very good at doing this. To deny that fact is keeping your head in the sand. On top of this no one can prove to me that the city has tried to distance itself from it's past . I don't believe they have made any attempt to change and frankly I don't think they care. It is what it is.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The original question asked if HP is racist. Your talking about specific individuals not he communities themselves. White residents are moving to North Oak Cliff everyday. Oak Cliff has done nothing to deter them from doing so. As I stated earlier I do not believe the majority the of the citizens of HP or racist. I believe they chose to live there because of the great tree lined streets and excellent schools. I doubt racism played any part of them moving to the area. Having said this the city of HP has a history of trying to keep the town lily white. They have been very good at doing this. To deny that fact is keeping your head in the sand. On top of this no one can prove to me that the city has tried to distance itself from it's past . I don't believe they have made any attempt to change and frankly I don't think they care. It is what it is.
From the prior testimony, your claim appears not to be the case.

Highland Park is an enclave for the rich. Its municipal government enforces the desire of the rich to avoid the presence of what they regard as "social trash". They see the middle class as someone they don't want in their territory, nor do they want children of the lower class (i.e. household servants) going to their schools. This is an honest effort to avoid the "wrong" kind of people, i.e. the non-affluent.

This policy has been a strategy of the wealthy from time immemorial. If you have money, you can buy what you want, even the opportunity to avoid the presence of the lower classes. If you don't like it, tough.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Then why is it rich black people don't live in HP?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:45 PM

145 posts, read 184,205 times
Because all blacks with money play for pro sports teams and are considered lower class. THey wouldn't fit in.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,527 times
(+ or -) ^ That was really stereotypical and offensive, I think most black pro stars decide to live in gated communities for the same reasons white ones or any race decide to-safety. I don't know any current big name athlete in Dallas that doesn't live in a gated community or at least has gates around their house except for Mike Modano. Troy Aikman and Brett Hull don't count b/c they're no longer playing. I'm sure if Troy Aikman or Brett Hull, (who both live in HP, in non-gated homes) were still playing in their prime I'm sure they would opt to live behind some gated community in North Dallas or at least decide to have gates around their home like Dirk, Romo, Jason Terry or any high profile public figure i.e Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks etc. There aren't any gated communities in HP. The closest I think is the Creeks of Preston Hollow which is obviously in P.H, but that has only been around for a year or so I think?, I haven't been in Dallas for several months, but I will be soon

Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
From the prior testimony, your claim appears not to be the case.

Highland Park is an enclave for the rich. Its municipal government enforces the desire of the rich to avoid the presence of what they regard as "social trash". They see the middle class as someone they don't want in their territory, nor do they want children of the lower class (i.e. household servants) going to their schools. This is an honest effort to avoid the "wrong" kind of people, i.e. the non-affluent.

This policy has been a strategy of the wealthy from time immemorial. If you have money, you can buy what you want, even the opportunity to avoid the presence of the lower classes. If you don't like it, tough.
so true

Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM

16 posts, read 47,965 times
Are all these states prejudice because very little amount of blacks live there? The land mass of these states is probably close to half the country. Now mind you the population is no where near half.
# 35 Nebraska: 70,615
# 36 Iowa: 58,927
# 37 Oregon: 58,301

# 40 New Mexico: 30,723

# 43 Utah: 19,110

# 46 South Dakota: 6,168
# 47 Idaho: 6,103
# 48 North Dakota: 4,062
# 49 Vermont: 3,572
# 50 Wyoming: 3,373
# 51 Montana: 2,128

Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Its not that I dont like blacks. (And I dont like saying african americans either because 99% of the blacks are not african and have never been to africa)

I just dont like the towns/cities where the majority of the population is black.

And by the way Im not racist towards hispanic people (I am half hispanic)

And some of the topics here really surprise me. You guys take this internet stuff way to seriously.
I had to chuckle....Please get over yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas