Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

70 posts, read 313,413 times

Advertisements

i'malittlestar,

I recently moved to the Addison/Carrollton area from a HCOL area in NJ. I have a college degree but my field is notorioulsy low paying so I am currently making in the low $20s. I took a $3/hr paycut from what I was making in NJ, but my standard of living has actually improved because it is way cheaper here and there are no state income taxes.

I have a one bedroom apartment in a nice area for $605 per month. There are cheaper apartments around but I didn't feel they were as nice or safe as where I am living.

ChristieP has good advice ... the best being about living close to where you work. I am only 10 minutes away so that saves me a ton in gas. I also don't have any credit card or car loan debt, just student loan payments. I don't have a home phone or cable, but do have the internet, a cell phone and Netflix. I am very frugal with using the air conditioning even during this heat wave. I hardly go out (don't have many friends here anyway).

Obviously it's not a whole lot of fun to be low income, but it can be done (and yes, I am looking to increase my income). Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
And finish that degree while you are in a position to do so! When it comes to getting a good job, 3 years of college is not much better than no college at all (you might get a good job, but you won't be as likely to advance)....you need that piece of paper!! There are lots of educated, talented young people in Dallas....lots of competition....and the more you have to offer the better you can handle the compeition.

Best wishes to you!!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:50 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
TheVillageapts.com | Home

The Villages are a well maintained group of apartments built and managed by the same company that has been around forever in Dallas. You get commercial electric rates in some of their units and if getting a ground floor unit, are quite efficient as far as energy usage goes. The rates listed on their web site are "market rates", to which they typically toss in the first month free by giving you 1/12th off of each month for signing a year lease. I lived there for a while when my wife and I were engaged and we were shopping for a home, and I really enjoyed my stay. It's walking distance to Central Market, the Tom Thumb and the DART rail. Old Town shopping center has some great restaurants and there is a new development going in just south of Lover's Lane, next door to Central Market. Great area to gain access all around Dallas while keeping your expenses low.

Brian

Old 08-04-2008, 04:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I don't think your going to find a decent apartment to live in for 400-500 a month. I think a starting point of $600 on up would be more realistic for a effiency. Anything in the $400-500 range is gonna be a hell hole unless it's a garage apartment and somebody is giving you a great deal.
I don't know I've known a lot of artist living in studio apartments in that range. What you won't get, at that price, is central air. In a studio window units aren't so bad though.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
and consider whether or not you will have debt from college that will kick in after your graduate
many new workers (no matter what their age) after graduation find that a good part of what they thought would be "free" income has to go to satisfy college debt...
not a pretty picture...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
I don't think your going to find a decent apartment to live in for 400-500 a month. I think a starting point of $600 on up would be more realistic for a effiency. Anything in the $400-500 range is gonna be a hell hole unless it's a garage apartment and somebody is giving you a great deal.
lmao, I never said you are going to live in luxury. 400-500 is the bare bones units. If you are making 10/hr you definitely do not have the money to be paying 600+ for rent.

Quote:
and consider whether or not you will have debt from college that will kick in after your graduate
many new workers (no matter what their age) after graduation find that a good part of what they thought would be "free" income has to go to satisfy college debt...
not a pretty picture...
yea no kidding. Those little college debts can really kill the next 10-20 years of your disposable income. I am fortunate enough to go to affordable schools and work my way through college so I will be graduating with no debt. Hell, with all the extra cash I will have I'll probably go to grad school.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'malittlestar View Post
Hello; I am thinking of moving to Dallas sometime next year after I complete my B.S. in Business. I will try to visit first since I've never been there. However I sometimes do a job search just to see what the job market is like there. Today I saw two clerical type positions with the following starting salaries 15.92 per hour and 13.58 per hour. I currently have clerical and customer service experience but I am hoping that once my degree is complete it will open up opportunities for different and better paying jobs.

My question is if I decide to move before the degree is completed... (I started school the traditional way by attending classes on campus but I am currently completing the degree online....also my university is not an online university, it is a regionally accredited traditional school with a physical campus; they just happen to offer degree completion programs online. Just thought I'd explain just in case someone was thinking online diploma mill.) so as I was saying, if I move before the degree is completed and I end up getting the type of jobs I'm currently qualified for, chances are they will not pay very much. I'm thinking, I can always work these types of jobs for now and begin a new job search upon graduation. Also if employers don't want to hire out of state applicants I might just have to move there and take what I can get, maybe even work two jobs.

So, can a person afford a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a decent part of the DFW area on a salary like $13.58 or 15.92 an hour...heck maybe even $12.50? Please keep in mind I don't have a car payment (only insurance). I'm working on my current credit card debt and hope to have it paid off soon.

What do you think? Will I only be able to afford to live in potentially high crime areas?

Extra info: I'm originally from the Fort Lauderdale, FL area....at the time I left there, I was making over $15.00 an hour and paying $897.00 a month for a 750 sq ft apartment. I think that's a rip off but I am a single female and felt pretty comfortable in the area because it was not overrun with crime or visible drug activity....it's difficult to find low rent and low crime in South Florida. Just using that situation as an example.

I'd appreciate responses from anyone who has survived or is surviving in Dallas on an annual income in the high twenties or low thirties....what areas do you find safe and affordable for your financial situation or are they non-existent on that income bracket? I hope I'm clear in what I'm asking.

Thanks
dear student,

Welcome to Dallas (eventually). I was like you many years ago so I'll give you my advice based on what I've been through. My first recommendation is to finish your degree as soon as you can and definately before you move. After you move there will be so many new doors to open which could distract you from ever finishing your degree if you don't do it now while you can.

What is your degree in? A B.S. In what? Whatever that is go for it. If it's in biz then find a job where high level biz people work/eat/or play and use every opportunity to get to know some of them and have them help you become what you want to be. But... You have to know what you want to be first.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,125 times
Default Great job for hard workers!

I've been reading these posts and may have a solution for anyone who is very hard working and is looking to make a change for the better. This is a legitimate chance with a fast growing energy company.

C~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky View Post
i'malittlestar,

I recently moved to the Addison/Carrollton area from a HCOL area in NJ. I have a college degree but my field is notorioulsy low paying so I am currently making in the low $20s. I took a $3/hr paycut from what I was making in NJ, but my standard of living has actually improved because it is way cheaper here and there are no state income taxes.

I have a one bedroom apartment in a nice area for $605 per month. There are cheaper apartments around but I didn't feel they were as nice or safe as where I am living.

ChristieP has good advice ... the best being about living close to where you work. I am only 10 minutes away so that saves me a ton in gas. I also don't have any credit card or car loan debt, just student loan payments. I don't have a home phone or cable, but do have the internet, a cell phone and Netflix. I am very frugal with using the air conditioning even during this heat wave. I hardly go out (don't have many friends here anyway).

Obviously it's not a whole lot of fun to be low income, but it can be done (and yes, I am looking to increase my income). Good luck.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
sounds like soliciting offer to me--not board allowed...

Old 08-10-2008, 07:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:
I work with plenty of folks who make 27-30k and they make it just fine. You won't be able to afford a upscale apartment but you find plenty decent places to live on that salary. The cost of living here is cheaper than the Miami area for sure.
I definitely second this. I know people who make around 30k and they make it. The cost of living here is a lot lower than a lot of areas around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas