Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 08:32 PM
JLJ JLJ started this thread

9 posts, read 35,861 times

Advertisements

My job is going to transfer my wife and I out there from San Diego.

My building is the Cityplace building downtown. I can definitely use the Dart and was looking at the Plano area to buy a home or maybe even closer to the downtown.

What is the commute like for the train and driving from Plano? just for comparison.

We arent going to go extravagant with a home purchase probably something from 175k to 225k and dont want to get killed with property taxes.

For those of you from CA where would you say is the most "CA like" suburb?

We are both professionals but also both heavily tattooed and dont really want anyone freaking out.

I guess this will be the first post of about 200 before I figure everything out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
You will see plenty of heavily tattooed people in the Dallas area. Might not see them on Sunday morning in church w/ it all showing but it is there .

Are you interested in schools? Do you want public or private? If you want to be much closer to work in a more "urban" feel area then I'd recommend Lakewood. This is in the Dallas city limits and close to White Rock Lake. The other area is down around Greenville in the M Streets area - you will NOT feel out of place there w/ tattoos. Both have some nice older homes and these two areas are still on an upswing and should be for a long time. The M Streets will put you much closer to work, won't need to get on a highway at all. Same w/ Lakewood, no highway travel but both offer some great neighborhood hangouts and a certain quaintness to them.

Out a bit farther is the Richardson Heights area in Richardson right off of Hwy 75-Central Expwy. Great older homes w/ some neat architectural quirks about them on the inside. Good schools here in this area and part of the Richardson ISD.

Plano, if you are wanting a condo then there are some new ones in the downtown area of Plano near the DART rail line. Schools here would be iffy even though it is Plano. Look around the Canyon Creek area of Richardson/Plano on the west side of Central for some single family homes and good schools. On the east side of Central you have the Sherrill Park area and SpringPark. Both are easy access to the DART rail station at 190/George Bush Turnpike at 75. I mean REAL EASY! Not close enough to walk to but a few lights and your there.

If your looking for the "CA burb" of the older homes I'd say Lakewood and the M Streets. Lots of young professionals that want to live close to work and the city life at their fingertips.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 PM

thats great, we are newly married, no kids hopefully for atleast 5 years or so, we rent here in San Diego so of course being able to buy is awesome. Ill definitely look into those areas.

Thank you

Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
Since you don't have kids, you may want to also look at Addison.

Its a cool area close to shopping and downtown. Since there are only condos there, it's a young area.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:54 PM

92 posts, read 761,709 times
If you are working downtown, I would not move to Plano. Especially, if you don't have kids or won't for 5 years.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:56 PM

92 posts, read 761,709 times
I would look at the Lochwood area for a bigger home in your price range or Little Forest Hills for a quirky neighborhood close to the lake.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:52 PM

36 posts, read 148,809 times
Default ditto earlier posts

I live in Lakewood, and it would be a very short commute for you. For a young, childless couple, I would consider some very nice condos literally in walking distance from Cityplace.

Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM

My wifes school, work and Muay Thai school is all up that way so Im thinking just for the ease of her move I might just suck it up and have to deal with a longer commute, Id definitely want to live inside the 635 though.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,448 times
Default highliner

I have relatives in both the Plano and Richardson areas. They tell me that for the situation that you describe, it would be much more convenient for you to choose Plano, and take advantage of the DART interurban trains. I hope this helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas