Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 AM

73 posts, read 281,422 times

Advertisements

I am moving from out of state, and recently took at look at the Venue, in Richardson TX. It is located across the street from the Nortel building. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on this area in terms of convenience, safety, etc. I am female in my late 20s and will be living by myself. Is this a good area to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 28,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwiz1 View Post
I am moving from out of state, and recently took at look at the Venue, in Richardson TX. It is located across the street from the Nortel building. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on this area in terms of convenience, safety, etc. I am female in my late 20s and will be living by myself. Is this a good area to live in?
My dh works at Nortel l and I would think you would be very safe in that area. You will be right next to 75 and have lots of stores, places to eat close by.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM
swb

1 posts, read 3,819 times
You should find the Venue to be a safe location. Around it are the campuses of a number of large corporations, the Renaissance Hotel, and the Eisemann Performing Arts Center. You'll be right by a DART light rail station that will give you convenience to attractions on the rail to the south. For example, Mockingbird Station has restaurants, shopping, and a good movie theater. Near various rail stations in downtown Dallas you'll find some nice art museums and some nightlife. In Richardson you'll find a lot of ethnic restaurants but not a lot of shopping or nightlife. A couple miles to the north in Plano is a good sized mall with several department stores. Cars are a necessity in the Dallas area and the Venue has ready access to several highways - 75 (Central), 635 (LBJ), and 190 (the George Bush) that can get you around the metroplex. UT-Dallas is a fine university. A very short drive or a train ride to the next station to the south and then a mile walk will take you to a nice public library.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,175 times
I'd feel secure living at The Venue and the Gatalyn Park area is supposedly one of the next big 'hot spots' around town. The area may have a little different feel at night compared to the hustle and bustle of the average M-F Telecom Corridor day. There's another upscale apt development or two being constructed literally a minute or two away and lots of retail, that in terms of Richardson's standards, is quite hip. So with more folks actually living here rather than just working, I think that sort of 'where did everybody go' feeling--not that it's currently a ghost town at Gatalyn Park --will be less and less noticeable, if at all. Bad things can happen no matter how glowing the stats are in any given area and you have to use common sense, but I think this area of town is fantastic and I'd feel comfortable recommending it to a single female.

Swb has you pretty much covered. I live near The Venue, close to Campbell/75 so I'd just add that there's plenty of shopping for groceries and such and your typical strip malls, eateries, etc. You'll have stores within minutes both to the west and east, but I prefer shopping on the west part of Richardson, off of Renner/Custer and on Campbell/Coit. It's a short drive. Nearby there's also some popular, non-chain watering holes/restaurants on Jupiter and George Bush.

IMO, this area of Richardson is great for people who want to live near their work or take advantage of the convenience of DART, to still be close, via car, to Dallas and all it offers, but yet still enjoy what is basically the suburban life. Gatalyn Park is no Uptown or Victory Park, but Richardson sees very little stroller traffic compared to say, Frisco. So I think it's a nice compromise.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM

73 posts, read 281,422 times
Thanks everyone for your responses! It was very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas