Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 21,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Jones View Post
Desoto really has some beautiful homes and nice neighborhoods
The problems are: crime and poor schools plus very little shopping or restaurants or movie theaters
Go north my friends go north: Addison, Plano, Frisco

Good Luck
Im willing to bet all your listings are North, specifically in the three cities you mention.

If you think there is a crime problem in Desoto, then you dont know Desoto At all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 88,798 times
Quote:
Desoto really has some beautiful homes and nice neighborhoods
The problems are: crime and poor schools plus very little shopping or restaurants or movie theaters
Go north my friends go north: Addison, Plano, Frisco

Good Luck
Wrong...Desoto and Cedar Hill have some of the lowest crime rates in DFW..they do have instances of property crime but so does all the other areas in the metroplex but the crime rate is fairly low...check out the crime stats for yourself.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,110,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular joe View Post
If you think there is a crime problem in Desoto, then you dont know Desoto At all!
I couldn't agree with you more!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:07 PM

96 posts, read 422,088 times
Desoto is safe and has some good quality homes in your price range and the best Walmart since you mentioned it. Not the one on I35E but into the city by Westmoreland street and beltline. We have shopped there since it opened. commute to dallas is not as bad as anything on the northside!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 126,103 times
Default Moving from the Bronx?

Trust me you will like the winters hear much better. As far as where to live Dallas has always grown north and will continue to. You have to decide whats most important to you and your husband. Sounds like you want to Not have to Keep up with the Jones' and you do want to get the most house for the money. Garland and or Mesquite would both work well The southern burbs would leave you with more of a challenge to sale in years to come
Good luck you know you have to convert to being Cowboy fans when u get here

Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
As far as where to live Dallas has always grown north and will continue to.
Yes, the nothern suburbs tend to be larger, but to say that the only direction Dallas will continue to grow is north is entirely untrue. The area is growing in all four directions. In fact, the fastest growing city in the DFW area (in terms of growth rate percentage) is an eastern suburb - Fate in Rockwall County. Just about all of the southern suburbs of Dallas have recently seen substantial increases in population, new businesses, and commercial development.

Simply put, the numbers don't lie:

Population Growth in Southwest Dallas County
City............2000.....2008...Growth Rate..Increase
Glenn Heights..7,224...11,650...(61.27%).....(+ 4,426)
Cedar Hill....32,093...44,900...(39.91%)....(+ 12,807)
Lancaster.....25,894...35,050...(38.26%).....(+ 9,906)
DeSoto........37,646...48,100...(27.77%)....(+ 10,454)
Duncanville...36,081...38,400....(6.43%).....(+ 2,319)

Even the smaller communities in neighboring Ellis County are seeing rapid growth as well. During the same 2000-2008 period, Red Oak has doubled in size with Midlothian nearly reaching that point. The larger city of Waxahachie has grown by 32.08%.

It is ashame that people are so uninformed about the changes going on in this area.

Quote:
Sounds like you want to Not have to Keep up with the Jones' and you do want to get the most house for the money. Garland and or Mesquite would both work well
You can get a lot of "bang for your buck" in the southern suburbs, too. Home prices are reasonable and there are many nice neighborhoods to choose from. The same can be said for the cities of Garland and Mesquite. The main difference between the two is that the Garland/Mesquite area is larger and more built out than most of the southern suburbs, with the exception of Duncanville. DeSoto still has a number of areas that have yet to be developed. The majority of land in the cities of Cedar Hill and Lancaster is still untouched and the communities of northern Ellis County have a lot of space for future growth as well.

As for the "Keeping up with the Jones" attitude, other posters have pointed out that it is not as prevalent in the southern suburbs when compared to other parts of the Metroplex.

Quote:
The southern burbs would leave you with more of a challenge to sale in years to come
Since the "DeSoto has a high crime rate" comment was proven untrue, I knew that it would not be long before "resale" would be used as a tactic to steer prospective home buyers away from a nice place like DeSoto to one of the more "popular" suburbs further north.

I know that the southern suburbs aren't a perfect match for everyone, but there is no reason for these communities to be eliminated from consideration sight unseen. NO place in the Dallas-Fort Worth area is perfect and each has its own distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 21,680 times
one of the reasons i really appreciate actx comments is she always backs up her claims with data.

brent,all your claims are turning out to be just flat wrong. do you have anything to substantiate your claims?

You are entitled to opine, but you just dont seem to have any factual information on southern burbs...and you are helping perpetuate the notion that the south is somehow inferior. again, you are entitled to your opinion but you have proven to have no credibility

Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular joe View Post
one of the reasons i really appreciate actx comments is she always backs up her claims with data.
Thanks. By the way, I'm a "he".

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM

216 posts, read 716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Thanks. By the way, I'm a "he".
Im glad you dont have to "substantiate" that fact

Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 PM

96 posts, read 422,088 times
We live in Cedar Hill in a very affordable neighborhood. I was on the market a year and half ago before the recent housing slump, but because of my very ill mother in and out of hospitals in Dallas, we decided to stay close by and take our house back off the market. We were asking for 20% above what we paid for it 8 years ago. We got several offers within weeks at our asking price. My dear mother passed on so now we are just waiting for the housing market to bottom out and tighten up. We need more room to grow as a family thus why we are trying to move. Cedar Hill has a lot more going for it now w/ the huge upscale town center added recently for example. DeSoto is just down the recently widened Beltline Rd. and their very nice Walmart. Glenn Heights is taking off, and I always been fond of the Ovilla area, with those pretty creekside homes. So much for my facts. Acntx does it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas