Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM

28 posts, read 37,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I didnt mean to come across like I was arguing with you. I dont disagree with what you are saying here whatsoever.
Oh I know. I wasn't arguing with you. I was just making a strong point. We are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Hi kingly0577,

Its always great to hear from other posters living in the southern suburbs. Welcome!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Hi kingly0577,

Its always great to hear from other posters living in the southern suburbs. Welcome!
Same here. I just got on here and I see that we have an uphill just to change stereotypes.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingly0577 View Post
Same here. I just got on here and I see that we have an uphill just to change stereotypes.
It might not be as bad as you think. Most of the people I meet up here haven't had anything bad to say about the Southern burbs.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,343 times
I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be either. I've been through Desoto, Duncanville,and Cedar Hill and seen all kinds of really nice neighborhoods. The only drawback I've noticed is the lack of more upscale amenities that seem to be more plentiful in the north, but it looks like the area around 67 in Cedar Hill is changing that and that's fantastic. Sometimes I think some of my co-workers who live in the southern suburbs almost have an inferiority complex about living there and are very defensive about it, going out of their way to make sarcastic and insulting comments about northern suburbs.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,482,449 times
Default "Are the southern dallas suburbs that fabulous?"

Maybe some positive posts and titles can help with the reputation.

Maybe if people stop replying to this thread like I am right now and start a new one that states, "are the southern dallas suburbs that fabulous?" a new energy can be created.

I swear I have been reading this forum for a while now (at least a year) and the majority of what you see regarding southern dallas posts from the start is negative even if the intent of the post is not to diminish the reputation of SO-D-burbs(get it like soBE- south beach). Let's give the new visitors a better starting place. Start fresh stop giving these negative posts which started in 2008 or so new life.

JMT

please excuse any bad grammar or typos

Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Most people include the southern burbs when speaking of south Dallas. They really are not the same. South Dallas has some nice neighborhoods. They will be older homes and the nicer areas will be made up mostly of retirees. There is plenty of very bad neighborhoods in South Dallas also. They outnumber the good neighborhoods by a large margin. The southern burbs are a whole new ball game. Most of them are solid middle class with some areas being very affluent. Both south Dallas and the southern burbs seem to get thrown under the same umbrella. This a huge part of the perception problem of the southern sector.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Most people include the southern burbs when speaking of south Dallas. They really are not the same. South Dallas has some nice neighborhoods. They will be older homes and the nicer areas will be made up mostly of retirees. There is plenty of very bad neighborhoods in South Dallas also. They outnumber the good neighborhoods by a large margin. The southern burbs are a whole new ball game. Most of them are solid middle class with some areas being very affluent. Both south Dallas and the southern burbs seem to get thrown under the same umbrella. This a huge part of the perception problem of the southern sector.
I remember when we moved here and I accidentally said I was in South Dallas to refer to driving by the Zang Curb on 35. My real estate agent who was great in teaching us about the area corrected me and told me that South Dallas was actually near Fair Park. That is a different area. Correct me if I am wrong but DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Lancaster, etc. are a part of what is known as the Greater Southwestern Area. I guess you can throw in Grand Prairie as well. So it's not South Dallas. Not to diss on South Dallas at all, its just not the same area. Two different places. Also, I saw that someone stated that folks in the area I live in have an inferiority complex. I wouldn't say that. But when your area is unfairly stereotyped again and again by folks that don't even live there after awhile you get defensive. That's human nature. Bottom line is that this "entire" area has some great communities.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Lancaster, etc. are a part of what is known as the Greater Southwestern Area.
The four largest southern suburbs of DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, and Lancaster are part of a region called the "Best Southwest." The term was first coined by the local business community in the late 1980s as a way to foster cooperation between the cities. It is still widely used today, particularly when area projects/events are targeted at the region as a whole and not just a single city. The four cities had a combined population of 131,714 in 2000 and an estimated 171,750 residents today.

Quote:
Also, I saw that someone stated that folks in the area I live in have an inferiority complex. I wouldn't say that. But when your area is unfairly stereotyped again and again by folks that don't even live there after awhile you get defensive. That's human nature. Bottom line is that this "entire" area has some great communities.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I can't count the amount of times that I have had to deal with stereotypes and blanket generalizations about this area over the past three years. I do speak up when those types of comments are posted, even though I hate to argue or be confrontational with other posters.

Last edited by Acntx; 08-16-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It might not be as bad as you think. Most of the people I meet up here haven't had anything bad to say about the Southern burbs.
Well let me know where you work so I can put in an application. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas