Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 15,412 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about relocating to Dallas in the near future. How does the Dallas area compare to Chicago?

Thnx and Go Bears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM

627 posts, read 1,628,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxx View Post
Thnx and Go Bears
lol.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 PM

116 posts, read 449,209 times
What kind of lifestyle are you seeking and use too? Do you prefer the Urban downtown scene or suburbs & country. Dallas urban living is improving, but no comparison to downtown Chicago's vibrant pace & lifestyle! Love your downtown & would love to live in a condo from April-October...once the COLD weather comes,I would be back to Dallas!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,691,930 times
Quote:
My wife and I are thinking about relocating to Dallas in the near future. How does the Dallas area compare to Chicago?

Thnx and Go Bears
Ask that question in January....

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,252,362 times
One is south, the other north. One gets hot, the other gets cold. Both have people and the usual amenities.

Go Cowboys

Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM

133 posts, read 515,614 times
GO BEARS!

WHere do you live now? Do you have kids? Did you grow up in Chicago? Did you go to a Big Ten school? What do you like to do? DO you like baseball?

give me a little more about yoruself... and I'll be more than willing to tell you (based upon my experiences) how Dallas compares to Chicago.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 PM

434 posts, read 1,486,187 times
Quote:

Thnx and Go Bears
See this Thread: It gives 2 points of view but more specific to urban areas in Chicago and Dallas

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-uptown-3.html

Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,486,187 times
Quote:

Thnx and Go Bears
IMO:
  • Dallas burbs and development is well ahead of Chicago
  • Chicago urban core lifestyl can't be touched
  • Cost of living in Dallas will give you a huge opportunity to put more money away or play
  • Weather: Some like it hot and some prefer the white stuff... I like it hot
  • Sports: Chicago sports hub/ near/ central access to bears, cubs, sox, blackhawks is an advantage over Dallas' disconnected sports-- Cowboys in Iving soon to be Arlington, TX, Mavericks, Stars in Dallas, Rangers in Arlington
  • Sports: fan loyalty support for Chicago teams on the overall is larger than that of Dallas. Crowds only go for the Cowboys/ Mavericks here. Stars draw decent crowds
  • Pizza: Chicago Wins. The rest of the food in Dallas beats Chicago
  • State Pride: TX wins hands down!
  • Active city: I don't think you will find as many runners and marathons in Dallas as you will in Chicago
  • Taste of Chicago wins. Dallas still working on it.
  • Schools- Dallas/ Dallas Suburb public schools shine over Chicagos
  • Less traffic in Dallas vs. Chicago but Dallas is growing and that will change
  • Limmitted mass transit in Dallas
One of the largest advantages for myself in Dallas has been that it is in Texas and the surrounding states have a lot to offer. I felt very limitted as far as regional travel when I lived in Chicago as the nearby options were Milwaukee, WI and Indiana which aren't what I call "fun" times.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 15,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_transplant View Post
GO BEARS!

WHere do you live now? Do you have kids? Did you grow up in Chicago? Did you go to a Big Ten school? What do you like to do? DO you like baseball?

give me a little more about yoruself... and I'll be more than willing to tell you (based upon my experiences) how Dallas compares to Chicago.
Cool. Thanks for the replies.

We currently live in Cary, which is 45-50 miles NW of the city, with two wee ones. I've lived in and around Chicago for the last 25 years (Hinsdale, Bolingbrook and the city). Didn't go to Big Ten
Like live loud music scenes, mountain biking (don't get much a chance to do that with children lately), really like live sports (had Bears season tix for a while) as long as beer is available .

From the research that we've done, it does look like the schools are a lot better and the cost of housing is a lot more forgiving pricewise, compared to NE Illinois. My wife is pretty much sold on Plano at this point in the game.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM

18 posts, read 83,412 times
There are a number of areas in Plano that are quite nice. You would be about 35-45 minutes from downtown during or near rush hour. The further west and north you go in Plano the newer the development.

As far as sales go, there have been 2568 home sales in Plano this year. You would have plenty of choices as you begin your search. (average sales price $274,947). Of course homes range from below $100k to well over a million.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I have been in north Texas since 1998.

Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas