Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:22 AM

50 posts, read 158,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
Sorry, but these are facts. You might be able to argue a few areas inside the lines are not acceptable, but certainly not outside those lines.
What do you have against the neighborhoods like Bent Tree?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
Quote:
Sorry, but these are facts. You might be able to argue a few areas inside the lines are not acceptable, but certainly not outside those lines.
Sorry but it is not a fact. Everyone has different things that make an area, acceptable or not. For me some factors might be I would not want to live in a single race, religion, or economic level neighborhood. that would render some of the area you find acceptable, unacceptable to me. If it was a fact that would mean everyone found the same areas acceptable. Since we don't it is, by definition, not a fact. Unless you want ot change the definition of fact.
Gravity is a fact, no one can not be attracted to the ground, that brick is heavier than marshmallow is a fact, than any neighborhood is better than any other is not fact, it it opinion. To argue otherwise is simply not supportable. It requires an ignorance of the meaning of the word fact.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Sorry but it is not a fact. Everyone has different things that make an area, acceptable or not. For me some factors might be I would not want to live in a single race, religion, or economic level neighborhood. that would render some of the area you find acceptable, unacceptable to me. If it was a fact that would mean everyone found the same areas acceptable. Since we don't it is, by definition, not a fact. Unless you want ot change the definition of fact.
Gravity is a fact, no one can not be attracted to the ground, that brick is heavier than marshmallow is a fact, than any neighborhood is better than any other is not fact, it it opinion. To argue otherwise is simply not supportable. It requires an ignorance of the meaning of the word fact.
It is a FACT that outside of those lines (excluding north of 635) that crime is much higher, especially violent crime.

It is a FACT that there are more unkept homes outside those lines.

It is a FACT that home values outside those lines are a fraction of what the home values are inside the lines.

It is FACT that there are very few, if any crack houses inside those lines and there are many crack houses outside those lines.

It is a FACT that city services, including road maitenence are more prevelaent inside the lines.

So, I guess you can argue your definition of "acceptable" is. If it is acceptable to live in a crime infested, run down neighborhood with crack houses, and poorly maintained roads and buildings, then I guess I would be wrong.

Most people would not accept to live in such an area if they had the choice.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer45 View Post
What do you have against the neighborhoods like Bent Tree?
I don't know much about the City of Dallas that lies north of 635. To me, it's the same as Addision, Richardson, Carrollton, ect.. and one might as well live in Frisco or Plano.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM

50 posts, read 158,555 times
Quote:
I don't know much about the City of Dallas that lies north of 635. To me, it's the same as Addision, Richardson, Carrollton, ect.. and one might as well live in Frisco or Plano.
Maybe you should learn about it.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
Quote:
Most people would not accept to live in such an area if they had the choice.
Sigh,
I weary of arguing. Many of those facts are not facts at all, but then you are on record of saying that everything south of 30 is a toilet (including apparently award winning Lofts, and highly sought after parts of Oak Cliff) so clearly you don't let fact get in the path of your ignorance of much of the metropolitan area.
When someone expresses opinion as fact, misstates other fact, draws in sweeping broad generalities, and suggest the vast numbers of people who hold a different opinion is wrong there is no point in arguing anymore. i see the large number of others who disagree with you have moved on. I guess I will too.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
I'll defend my friend and sometimes debating opponent Macbeth on this one.

What you are listing are not facts. A fact is an event, of a particular character, that occured at a particular time and place. For example, "the air temperature at Dallas Love Field 8AM on July 12, 2008 was measured as 48.3 degrees" is a statement of fact that is either true or false. What you are listing are generalizations that could equally be true or false, depending on where you are, when you measure something, what you define your criteria as, etc. Your generalizations are just opinions that reasonable people could honestly disagree with.

Quote:
It is a FACT that outside of those lines (excluding north of 635) that crime is much higher, especially violent crime.
What is your source for this claim, what is the exact meaning of "much higher", why should we believe that you examined every possible neighborhood outside the lines, how do we know you did it correctly, how do we know you did it honestly and reasonably?

Quote:
It is a FACT that there are more unkept homes outside those lines.
Maybe there are so many homes outside the lines that there are many more that are well kept also.

Quote:
It is a FACT that home values outside those lines are a fraction of what the home values are inside the lines.
Ambiguous statement, since some fractions are greater than 1. 5/2 is also a fraction, that is, a $500,000 house is a fraction, namely 5/2, of the cost of a $200,000 home. In reality, there are plenty of $500,000 houses outside the lines, and plenty of $200,000 houses inside.

Quote:
It is FACT that there are very few, if any crack houses inside those lines and there are many crack houses outside those lines.
A statement of fact would consist of a specific number of crack houses outside the lines, versus the number inside, not vague statements such as "very few".

Even if you gave an exact number, it doesn't matter, since there could be many neighborhoods outside of your lines that also contain no crack houses, and they could form a sizable area of the city.

Quote:
It is a FACT that city services, including road maitenence are more prevelaent inside the lines.
No, that's not an established fact in a book somewhere, that's just your opinion.

Quote:
So, I guess you can argue your definition of "acceptable" is. If it is acceptable to live in a crime infested, run down neighborhood with crack houses, and poorly maintained roads and buildings, then I guess I would be wrong.
No, you would be wrong unless you could prove that every neighborhood outside of the line was crime infested and run down. A debate opponent need cite only one case to the contrary to make a liar out of you.

In reality, I can think of many neighborhoods outside your lines that would falsify your generalizations.

Last edited by aceplace; 09-30-2008 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I'll defend my friend and sometimes debating opponent Macbeth on this one.

What you are listing are not facts. A fact is an event, of a particular character, that occured at a particular time and place. For example, "the air temperature at Dallas Love Field 8AM on July 12, 2008 was measured as 48.3 degrees" is a statement of fact that is either true or false. What you are listing are generalizations that could equally be true or false, depending on where you are, when you measure something, what you define your criteria as, etc. Your generalizations are just opinions that reasonable people could honestly disagree with.

What is your source for this claim, what is the exact meaning of "much higher", why should we believe that you examined every possible neighborhood outside the lines, how do we know you did it correctly, how do we know you did it honestly and reasonably?
City of Dallas Police Department is the source. You might want to do your researcy before you spout off about things you have no clue about. Also, if you knew anything about the different areas of Dallas, you would know this even without a source.

Quote:
Maybe there are so many homes outside the lines that there are many more that are well kept also.
You're splitting hairs. Homes are generally well kept inside the lines versus outside the lines where a higher proportion of homes are run down.

Quote:
Ambiguous statement, since some fractions are greater than 1. 5/2 is also a fraction, that is, a $500,000 house is a fraction, namely 5/2, of the cost of a $200,000 home. In reality, there are plenty of $500,000 houses outside the lines, and plenty of $200,000 houses inside.
This is just moronic. Homes inside the line have much higher values than outside. And yes, this is a fact.

Quote:
A statement of fact would consist of a specific number of crack houses outside the lines, versus the number inside, not vague statements such as "very few".
Actually, the statement "there are very few crack houses inside the lines" is a factual statement. The term "very few" may be ambigious but it does not invalidate the fact.

Quote:
Even if you gave an exact number, it doesn't matter, since there could be many neighborhoods outside of your lines that also contain no crack houses, and they could form a sizable area of the city.
If you knew anything about the City of Dallas, you would know that most areas outside those lines do have many crackhouses and drug dens.

Quote:
No, that's not an established fact in a book somewhere, that's just your opinion.
No. It's a fact.

Quote:
No, you would be wrong unless you could prove that every neighborhood outside of the line was crime infested and run down. A debate opponent need cite only one case to the contrary to make a liar out of you.
Wrong again. I would try to explain, but I don't think you have the ability to understand.

Quote:
In reality, I can think of many neighborhoods outside your lines that would falsify your generalizations.
I would like to know the *many* neighborhoods outside these lines that are asethicially pleasing and not either crime infested or surrounded by crime infested areas.

The fact is that they do not exist.

I'm not going to argue this anymore because there is nothing to argue. My map is a fact. There may be a little wiggle room around the borders of what is acceptable, but the general boundaries are absolute. Like I said before, if you are considering moving to an area outside those lines, be warned.

End of discussion.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
It is a FACT that some people don't like the inner-city.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
It's a fact that North Dallas is North of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas