Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times

Advertisements

The subject has come up before, and there are mixed opinions. Some people say life in Dallas is impossible without one, a few point to DART rail and bus as alternative transportation

This is the 25th anniversary of the DART system, and they have written an article about people who have given up their cars. Perhaps they had one accident too many, or perhaps the price of gas is an issue. For whatever reason, they've become carless. Here is their story.

Dallas Area Rapid Transit Inmotion - Summer 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,392 times
I actually did live in the Dallas area without a car for a year. Didn't really miss it that much except when I had to do a large grocery store trip. That was back before you could get groceries delivered. Now I would just have the brought to me.

It wasn't too bad. I took public transportation anywhere I wanted to go. Got in some nice walking in between.

If a city has a good transportation system, I think you could get away without a car with very little problems.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
I've researched it as well. Dallas is a big city and a lot more space compared to other cities like NY or LA. In NY or La there are a lot of bike paths and sidewalks. From what I've seen in google earth, depending on where you live, there will be no bike path or even a sidewalk! You could always just ride your bike on the grass/side of streets but that does get a little dangerous especially if you are going over a bridge where the emergency lane is very small. Then again, I am not even sure if that is legal to do lol.

When I move to Dallas I am planning on riding a bike to work at least 4 days a week depending on weather. Then again I will be renting close to my employment area so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I've researched it as well. Dallas is a big city and a lot more space compared to other cities like NY or LA. In NY or La there are a lot of bike paths and sidewalks. From what I've seen in google earth, depending on where you live, there will be no bike path or even a sidewalk! You could always just ride your bike on the grass/side of streets but that does get a little dangerous especially if you are going over a bridge where the emergency lane is very small. Then again, I am not even sure if that is legal to do lol.

When I move to Dallas I am planning on riding a bike to work at least 4 days a week depending on weather. Then again I will be renting close to my employment area so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
No, I don't see the Los Angeles as bike path heaven. Far from it. European cities such as Amsterdam, with bike paths cut into the middle of their 15 foot sidewalks is more likke it.

In Dallas, there are some extensive bike paths, and if you live close to them, which is feasible, you will bike to work. An alternative is to use the DART rail connection, which allows bikes on the trains, to make your connections from your residential path to your destination path.

If you want to ride your bike to work in the Dallas area,

Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Joe Bob Briggs wrote an article a couple of years ago detailing Dart in D Magazine Aug 2006 called "Get on the Bus".

The link was to long for me to post; not sure how to shorten it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 PM

93 posts, read 397,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
The link was to long for me to post; not sure how to shorten it.
Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/ (broken link)

Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
http://tinyurl.com/6jvnfg (broken link)

Thanks, Edward!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
not saying that is impossible life style--heck I sometimes think if the guys in Washington dc with the limos were forced to ride public transportation then everyone would have better transport system...

but don't you also have to have more flexibility with time/obligations and money for cabs if there are emergency situations to deal with?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
my second question is
has the food vendor situation at Dallas DART stops gotten any better since Joe Bob's article
cause if they have not--I sense an entrepeneur's dream situation
captive audiences...low startup...

Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I have known people to live with out a car around here. I had one teacher who took a taxi to school every day. One lived across the street and several others walked. My car does not usually leave the driveway on weekends. It's a 1/3 of a mile walk to just about everything except a grocery store but Whole Foods will be opening early next year. I use Cowboy Cab if I am going out. It costs about the price of a couple of drinks each way. I haven't used this but people seem to like it:

DART.org - DART On-Call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas