Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:53 AM

261 posts, read 1,516,075 times

Advertisements

A lot of my friends have made the move from NY to Dallas. We are considering this too because the cost of living is lower than NY. Anyone moved to Dallas from another state have any experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 AM

46 posts, read 438,606 times
I moved from northern california. Honestly, it is very difficult to adapt. There is nothing that can compare to living on either coast. There is not a lot of cultural activities like you would find in New York or California. And the diversity is not very apparent. People from Dallas boast about the number of restaraunts here, something about the most restaraunts per capita in the nation...or something. I admit I have not gone out to eat a lot, what I have seen is not impressive. Again, I am comparing dallas to San Francisco...can't imagine any city having better restaraunts than San Francisco. One other thing, Dallas is not very pretty....I never reallyl noticed the beauty of the bay area until I moved to Dallas. Parks for hiking, riding bikes, and roller-blading are less than desirable...although The area south of Dallas, cedar hill, is very pretty around the cedar hill state park...

But, it is very cheap to live out here. You can live in a nice house and still have money to visit New York and San Francisco. And according to a friend from New Jersey, the weather is great. (Me being from the bay area, I do not agree with that statement, but I can see her point).

The night life is not as culturally lively as New York and the bay area. And you will not find any festivals that will live up to your expectations after being in New York. This is my main complaint. For such a diverse city, there really is no real diversity....

My advice is, if you move here, know what you are getting into and do not compare with New York. Just know that you cannot compare living on the coasts with living in Dallas. Move here purely for the cost of living. Enjoy your friends and family, become a cowboys fan, a mavericks fan, a college football fan (i'm told I am crazy for not attending the Cotton Bowl and parties that ensue afterward :-). Go to the Fortworth's art and wine festival and the Taste of Addison and be happy that at least there are some festivals. And most of all, enjoy your extra money to travel (fly from DFW or love-field) often to visit those places that are little more inviting than Dallas.

Also, one thing I have never had to deal with...when people come visit me, I am used to having a boat load of sight seeing to do. I wont depress myself with the details about the vast amount of sightseeing in the bay area....I think you all know! But when my uncle came to town for the first time, I drove through downtown dallas - *so here's the american airlines center*, oh, and the West End...oh, and that was where Kennedy was assasinated, oh, and this is deep ellum...used to be a great jazz/blues spot back in the day.... Then I took him to downtown FortWorth and we ate some ice-cream....Quite uneventful! I tell family and friends now that if they come visit me we are going to do what the people here do...go to church, go eat, and go to the boat! After all, while in Rome, do as the Romans do.

The people here are very nice, though. Californians get a bad rap for being mean....we're not mean, we just dont talk to people we don't know. I hear New Yorker's are rude. I imagine, they get a bad rap as well. Well, people out here are a lot warmer. It has taken me a minute to get used to it. Maam and sir...guys opening the door and waiting before they enter the elevator....Men actually go to church out here...Wow!

Anyway, I babbled on enough. That's my experience. I am getting better at enjoying my time here. I just remember that I used to live in the bay area and one day I will go back...and now I have a little more discretionary income to enjoy :-

Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
"We are considering this too because the cost of living is lower than NY."

Yup that is about all the benefit you get lol.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
"The people here are very nice, though. Californians get a bad rap for being mean....we're not mean, we just dont talk to people we don't know."

I see that as well. Californians have more of a "keep to yourself, people need their space" mentality. Not better or worse, just different. One thing I notice here is that people are quick to lay on the horn. In CA, you rarely ever blow the horn, and if you do, your about 25 seconds from a road rage incident. Here, the horn is treated like a driving 'tool'.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 PM

So would Dallas be a good place to raise a family since every is very friendly there? Whats the deal with no state tax? Do you notice a big difference in your paychecks?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM

In addition, how is the cost of gas over there? I just got my car filled up. In NY its back up to $$2.70 for 87 unleaded. Is it any better there?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times
I shopped around over the weekend and got $2.34 in Plano. Some places had prices as high as $2.49.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
It's in the 2.70's in FL it takes about $50 to fill up my van. My oldest is feeling the pain as well, as a new driver it's up to him to find his own gas money.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 AM

46 posts, read 438,606 times
On one hand dallas is a good place to raise kids. the subs have a good school district record. Not too much trouble to get into....on the other hand, the mentality here is very materialistic. Like I said before, there is not a lot to do but shop. And since it is relatively cheap to live here, kids' parents tend to have these big mcmansions and expensive cars...It could be difficult to teach kids about the finer things in life leaving here. Personally, I would prefer some place a little more cultural and open to different things....oops, I think they call that liberal...or nowadays progressive loons...oh, I forget ;-)

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM

16 posts, read 115,739 times
Dallas is really no different than any other big city. There is PLENTY to do there too!!! museums,cultural art exhibits,theatre,european film festivals,concerts. Maybe before moving to Dallas one should be educated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas