Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
So TX has no State Tax or Income tax is that correct? So only Federal tax and property taxes?
We pay:
Sales Tax
Federal Income Tax
Property Tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM

165 posts, read 553,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We pay:
Sales Tax
Federal Income Tax
Property Tax
Ok gotcha...thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM

44 posts, read 127,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
I don't think Dallas is trying to hide it's diversity...the cultures are just so integrated with one another that it seems silly or forced to try and group everyone of a particular ethnic heritage into a certain part of town. Dallas is mercifully unlike cities like Chicago or Cleveland that are really still very segregated. In those places, people of a certain race are expected to live in a certain neighborhood in town. You stick with your own kind in those towns. In Dallas, no one cares where you're from or what your last name is. You're judged on your behavior and personal merits, not on the color of your skin. You don't find Chinatown or Japantown because Dallas is the opposite of segregated. It's the most integrated, accepting city I've ever experienced. That's something that's hard to advertise or market or turn into a tourist attraction. But it's something great to live!

great point...something to keep in mind....

Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 51,222 times
It is called Chinatown in Chicago... Grew up in the city...

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 51,222 times
I am living in Florida right now and we don't have a state tax, though we pay through the nose for utilities, insurance, etc... So just because there is not state tax, don't assume you won't pay for it in other ways. I am considering Dallas for the gymnastics side of life and I have a granddaughter who has outgrown her South Carolina gyms. But I have never been to Dallas (other than airport) and I am somewhat scared. I grew up in downtown Chicago, lived in Phoenix for 11 years and now I have spent the last 20 years or so in South Carolina and Florida - simply HATE Florida... Have been here 10 years and still can't stand it. Was going to head back to South Carolina this past spring, but there were NO jobs whatsoever...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshiko View Post
I am living in Florida right now and we don't have a state tax, though we pay through the nose for utilities, insurance, etc... So just because there is not state tax, don't assume you won't pay for it in other ways. I am considering Dallas for the gymnastics side of life and I have a granddaughter who has outgrown her South Carolina gyms. But I have never been to Dallas (other than airport) and I am somewhat scared. I grew up in downtown Chicago, lived in Phoenix for 11 years and now I have spent the last 20 years or so in South Carolina and Florida - simply HATE Florida... Have been here 10 years and still can't stand it. Was going to head back to South Carolina this past spring, but there were NO jobs whatsoever...
You should find the people here very friendly. I just moved from LA and Ive recieved a very warm welcome. Its growing unbelieveably fast here. The DFW metroplex has added over 1 million residents in 8 years.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 45,497 times
Robz,

I am in the same situation as you, living/working in NY (NYC) but having the opportunity to transfer to Dallas. I have done an extensive amount of reading into this subject and I just got back from a visit to the big D. Here is what I can tell you:

Cost of living is astronomically cheaper: That $900K house in Scarsdale can be purchased in DFW for $250K. Conversely, the $400K upper-middle class house in DFW would be a million dollar mortgage in Westchester.
Property taxes are much cheaper in DFW than NY: The $12K-$18K in Westchester taxes is now $8K in DFW.
State/Income taxes evaporate in DFW: NY state income tax is 6.95%. Throw in NYC city taxes and your at 10%. DFW = 0% state+local.

Be prepared to drive: Public transportation is pretty much non-existent in DFW. Where NY people commute on trains/buses to the city, Dallas people drive. I would compare traffic as being similar to what you would find in the tri-state area.

DFW is obviously much more suburban compared to NYC: If you currently live in upstate NY, there isn't a huge difference. However, if you live near NYC, brace yourself for the suburban experience. Its not explicitly a bad thing, just different. Expect a bunch of malls, and rows and rows of houses/apartments which don't vary much from one another.

The weather: Dallas is obviously much warmer than NY. I believe you don't get much of the four-seasons the way you do in NY.

Bottom Line
Positives: As many people have stated, DFW is unequivocally cheaper from a cost-of-living perspective. There is no comparison. Where I personally believe I would have to make $250K-$350K to live a nice life in Westchester/NJ/CT, (respectable neighborhood/house/commute) the same could be said in DFW at $150K (emphasis on personal expectations).
Negatives: You give up the much discussed "culture" and "diversity" of NY (NYC). I let you decide how much that affects your decision.

Good luck on your decision. I would say if you have a job lined up go ahead and pull the DFW trigger. That's the way I am heavily leaning.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I would not say that public transportation is non-existent - DART will have almost 100 miles of rail completed soon and there is the TRE to Fort Worth. Also Dallas has an extensive bus system.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 42,890 times
I've been reading the Dallas and Austin forums for weeks now and will be visiting with my husband in November. We're from Southern California and like everyone else want a lower COL, as well as a nice new home, bigger than our coastal 1953 ranch home at only 1350 sq. feet. California sure has fabulous weather and lots to do, but when all one's earnings go to the mortgage, there is no $$$ left to do all the other things around town. We have 3 kids and also desire better public schools for them, I think Texas will be a good fit for us. We both look forward to visiting next month.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,367 times
I came to Dallas in 1986 from Queens, NY. Actually, I came to Denton, Tx in 1984 from Queens, NY. Big difference - yes. No subways, hardly any buses, hardly any sidewalks, no real pizza, no bagels, etc... So I had to adjust.

Over the years, I have noticed that the majority of the Dallas area is not very scenic or pretty. It's just a big spread out city with too many vehicles and not enough roads. I'll bet Dallas was scenic in the 1800's, but it is not too scenic now.

I like the "no state tax" thing down here, and people are friendlier here than in NY.

If I had to show a friend from out of state around the city of Dallas, there wouldn't be much to see, except for a big city. Not much for parks, woodlands, etc..., and you have to travel a few hundred miles to get to the shore.

But, there is a lot of shopping to do here, and Dallas is more affordable than most big cities - "no state tax".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas