Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 16,020 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Dallas very soon and can't disagree with you on any of your points. I'm living in the San Jose area and what Dallas feels is diversity is nothing compared to the Bay Area. There are millions more restaurants in SF and the Bay Area than in the Dallas area. I went there to Dallas and probably will be moving there but it's mainly for the cost savings. I plan to rent out my house in the Bay and relocate to the Dallas area so I can save more money. My job also travels quite often to the New York area and if you haven't been to the Texas area, I strongly recommend you do a visit before you just pack up and leave. Quite a culture (or culture-less) shock if you ask my opinion. However, if you're starting a family and don't prefer all the nightlife, restaurants, and interesting sights/places to see, then it might work out well for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Actually, the cultural mythology goes that Dallas has more restaurants per capita than any other major American city:

Which City Really Does Have The Most Restaurants Per Capita (http://ezinearticles.com/?Which-City-Really-Does-Have-The-Most-Restaurants-Per-Capita&id=367316 - broken link)

Of course, that doesn't take into account quality.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexneffect View Post
I'm relocating to Dallas very soon and can't disagree with you on any of your points. I'm living in the San Jose area and what Dallas feels is diversity is nothing compared to the Bay Area. There are millions more restaurants in SF and the Bay Area than in the Dallas area. I went there to Dallas and probably will be moving there but it's mainly for the cost savings. I plan to rent out my house in the Bay and relocate to the Dallas area so I can save more money. My job also travels quite often to the New York area and if you haven't been to the Texas area, I strongly recommend you do a visit before you just pack up and leave. Quite a culture (or culture-less) shock if you ask my opinion. However, if you're starting a family and don't prefer all the nightlife, restaurants, and interesting sights/places to see, then it might work out well for you.
Dallas is pretty ethnically diverse, with just about every world region represented. In addition, Dallas is much more ideologically diverse than the far-left Bay Area. You can explore ideas and beliefs in Dallas that the Bay Area persecutes.

Millions more restaurants? If someone has to broach such a gross claim, then you have to take their opinion with a grain of salt. I've lived in both places, and I see Dallas restaurants much more common, and visible, than the Bay Area. People in Dallas have a far greater disposable income and can afford to support more and better restaurants.

Culture? Compared to the acoustics and general ambience of the Meyerson symphony hall in Dallas, Davies hall in SF is little better than a high school auditorium. Especially now that the new halls in the Arts district are complete (Meyerson, Winspear, Wyly) or nearing completion (City Performance Hall, Annette Strauss performance space), and putting it on a level with Lincoln Center in New York, Dallas far outstrips SF in institutions for visual and performance art. Here in DFW, we are fortunate to enjoy a good dozen or so art museums, and with a couple of world-class ones like the Kimbell and the Nasher. SF has maybe 3 or 4.

The culture of SF is the culture of the extreme left. Every radical, every social misfit who was run out of his home town for his bizzare rants, every person with a severe neurotic affliction, they all gravitate to SF in the hope that the move will "fix" their problem. That is why SF has so many suicides.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I find the idea that people are complaining about how many resteraunts that one area has over another interesting. How many places do you plan on visiting when you move to Dallas or some other local? As far as I can tell if you find a place that you like, does it matter that one area has more or better eating places? If I were in Dallas and found a place I like then I would be happy with that and I bet all of you would be as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Dallas is different than California. People who come to Dallas expecting it to be the Bay Area, wont fare very well here.

To say Dallas has no culture is dead wrong. Dallas (and especially Fort Worth) has alot to offer for the arts.

Dallas Arts District

Guide to the Fort Worth Cultural District

DFW has diversity as well, but its not the same kind of diversity you have in the Bay Area. There are more Black people and less Asians. There are also more Latinos in DFW.

And do you really think Dallas has no nightlife????? You must be very lazy. What do you call Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Addison, Bishop Arts, and Oak Lawn? Not to mention downtown Fort Worth.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Quote:
Quite a culture (or culture-less) shock if you ask my opinion. However, if you're starting a family and don't prefer all the nightlife, restaurants, and interesting sights/places to see, then it might work out well for you.
You're setting yourself up for a self-fulfilling prophecy if you come here with that sh**ty attitude. Did you even make it into the city of Dallas when you visited? You obviously don't know much about Dallas if you think it is culture-less and lacks interesting things to do, great restaurants, nightlife, etc... Some of the posters above provided you with some good, factual information. Educate yourself. Your condescending attitude will not go over well here.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Quote:
I strongly recommend you do a visit before you just pack up and leave. Quite a culture (or culture-less) shock .
This is what I always tell people who think about moving to Dallas or Texas in general. They focus on that fact they can get a large home really cheap in Dallas and assume it has all the nice things they do in their current city. They also say yes I know it gets hot, I just love the heat and tired of the snow, until they realise there are no seasons, the heat is brutal to the point where you can only go from car/indoors/car/indoors etc..

It's flat, boring and ugly, nothing but highways to get around.
You sacrifce too much for a few extra sq feet for a house. Simply not worth it.

I couldn't last another 18 months in Dallas

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

It's flat, boring and ugly, nothing but highways to get around.
You sacrifce too much for a few extra sq feet for a house. Simply not worth it.
Why dont you leave? If you dont like a place just leave. Theres no point in hanging around just to complain about it.

I dont understand why people think Dallas is boring. It has an amazing night life. Or were you talking about the landscape? That I can understand. DFW is on the plains. But if you think there is nothing to do here (especially concerning nightlife and food), you must be very lazy.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Why dont you leave? If you dont like a place just leave. Theres no point in hanging around just to complain about it.

I dont understand why people think Dallas is boring. It has an amazing night life. Or were you talking about the landscape? That I can understand. DFW is on the plains. But if you think there is nothing to do here (especially concerning nightlife and food), you must be very lazy.

I did leave

Nightlife and food.. lazy. lol yeah I am LAZY because I don't search for food!

I like nature and I love to hike, bike my bike, I love skiing, river rafting and kayaking, I even play golf or attempt to and ride horses.

First of all, most of those activities you can't even do here and the ones you can are not even enjoyable and the water is polluted.

LA must have been horrible for you, because I know two people who live there and I envy them. They have really nice homes with beautiful scenery from almost every window from their home. They can go to the beach or the mountains. LA is famous for it's nightlife. Never gets too hot cold, it's perfect weather. Lets not forget about the shopping and resturants.

So whatever motivated you to move to Dallas was most likely financial and couldn't afford to live in LA anymore, because I am sure you aren't here for the food, nightlife weather and landscape.

I guess Dallas is nice if you like to eat. That really does sum it up. Thank you.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
nothing but highways to get around.
I live in the City of Dallas and can go for months without getting on a highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas