Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:08 AM

97 posts, read 138,350 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm a 24 Year old single male that lives in San Antonio currently and I have an opportunity to work in Plano that I'm considering. The work location will be in Plano but I'm trying to decide where I live? Do I live in Uptown/Deep ellum/Downtown? Or do I live in Plano? I've had some people recommend Addison as well. I can deal with 40 min traffic. What concerns me is how much I'll be paying in tolls per month ( SA doesn't have tolls). I'm an active person and love fitness. I'm social and love to join groups, sports. What do you recommend? Please feel free to ask me any questions, I'll be happy to answer. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 10:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
You are going to want to live in the Uptown/Deep Ellum/Downtown area. We can narrow down a little from there. You'll only be paying tolls if your job location is close to Dallas North Tollway (DNT) in Plano. If it is closer to U.S. 75 in Plano, no need for tolls.

The commute is going to be tough either on DNT or 75 if you live in Uptown/Deep Ellum/Downtown. There's just no way around it. However, there's nothing up in Plano that's really desirable for a 24 year old single and unattached male moving to a new city. Addison has a little bit of scene, but it really pales in comparison to the central city neighborhoods.

Depending on how things are in San Antonio, you might want to pass on this opportunity.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 AM

97 posts, read 138,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
You are going to want to live in the Uptown/Deep Ellum/Downtown area. We can narrow down a little from there. You'll only be paying tolls if your job location is close to Dallas North Tollway (DNT) in Plano. If it is closer to U.S. 75 in Plano, no need for tolls.

The commute is going to be tough either on DNT or 75 if you live in Uptown/Deep Ellum/Downtown. There's just no way around it. However, there's nothing up in Plano that's really desirable for a 24 year old single and unattached male moving to a new city. Addison has a little bit of scene, but it really pales in comparison to the central city neighborhoods.

Depending on how things are in San Antonio, you might want to pass on this opportunity.
The company is on legacy drive so I think that will use that tollway right? Thanks for your answer!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
I have worked at Legacy for the past 15 years - first in a huge HQ and more recently in a smaller office. There are literally thousands of 20-something workers in Plano now who live near work.

I would make your job your top priority to begin with and sign a 6-mo or 1-year lease at the shops at Legacy or another complex nearby. The pool will be full of people your age every weekend and there are tons of places to workout nearby that appeal to young people- Lync Cycle, Body Machine Fitness, The 12, etc.

THEN - once you’re established in your new job, move into Dallas if you want a bigger social life.

Your AM commute from Uptown is going to take 45 min, your PM commute will be 50-75 minutes depending on traffic and wrecks. It takes me 45 to get from Legacy to around the 635/Galleria area in the afternoons and Uptown is another 15-30 in rush hour traffic. It will also cost $200ish per month, plus more frequent tires/ maintance/ etc on your car + double or triple the gas money. Your 40 minute commute wish is unreasonable.

I just wouldn’t risk your first 6-12 months on the job by possibly being late to work frequently if you don’t have the hang of traffic patterns yet. Or being cash strapped because of an expensive commute. Rent is higher in Uptown, too.

I’m not saying never live in Uptown, I just wouldn’t go there first given you’re new to Dallas. You won’t be the only 24 year old in Plano - not by a long shot.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 PM

21 posts, read 28,951 times
Turtlecreek’s advice is spot on.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonytime224 View Post
The company is on legacy drive so I think that will use that tollway right? Thanks for your answer!
Legacy Drive begins at 75 and goes to DNT, eventually curving north when it passes DNT. Many large companies have either HQs or large offices near Legacy and DNT. The probability is that you will be working near Legacy and DNT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have worked at Legacy for the past 15 years - first in a huge HQ and more recently in a smaller office. There are literally thousands of 20-something workers in Plano now who live near work.

I would make your job your top priority to begin with and sign a 6-mo or 1-year lease at the shops at Legacy or another complex nearby. The pool will be full of people your age every weekend and there are tons of places to workout nearby that appeal to young people- Lync Cycle, Body Machine Fitness, The 12, etc.

THEN - once you’re established in your new job, move into Dallas if you want a bigger social life.

Your AM commute from Uptown is going to take 45 min, your PM commute will be 50-75 minutes depending on traffic and wrecks. It takes me 45 to get from Legacy to around the 635/Galleria area in the afternoons and Uptown is another 15-30 in rush hour traffic. It will also cost $200ish per month, plus more frequent tires/ maintance/ etc on your car + double or triple the gas money. Your 40 minute commute wish is unreasonable.

I just wouldn’t risk your first 6-12 months on the job by possibly being late to work frequently if you don’t have the hang of traffic patterns yet. Or being cash strapped because of an expensive commute. Rent is higher in Uptown, too.

I’m not saying never live in Uptown, I just wouldn’t go there first given you’re new to Dallas. You won’t be the only 24 year old in Plano - not by a long shot.
I'm really reticent to make any sort of recommendation to send anyone north of 635 who is single, in their 20s/30s, and new to the city. And even everything south of 635 isn't created equal.

Plano has been a magnet for attracting families for 4 decades. North of Plano is Frisco, which is also familyville, and has been a magnet for families the last 2 decades. Plano and Frisco is a sea of suburbia. This isn't the scene for a 24 year old single guy who will be looking to date new women. A lot of the women are considerably south of where he would be setting up if he rented at Shops of Legacy. At 24/25, he's going to want to date women 18-25. He might be able to catch some women in the bars or during the day around there who still live with their suburban parents, but there's not going to be as many independent 21-25 year old women up there. That's not to mention that even down south he could conceivably be well positioned to tap into the SMU undergrad/grad student population. Also, male friends would be a consideration too. Not as many options there either.

Could someone make it work up there? Possible. Is it an ideal situation? It is not. Might it be worth a 6 month lease? It might be.

One of the major flaws I perceive of this metro area is that there are some really great employers with HQs up in the suburbs, far from the action of the city. It certainly impacts the quality of life of their younger, single, and unattached workers who may new to the city, since often times these big companies are recruiting straight out of undergrad. These people are forced into a decision, sacrifice their social lives for career advancement or make arduous commutes. I would not make the commute from the central city to the Legacy area. This is why I encouraged OP to possibly consider passing on the opportunity.

I followed the advice of focusing on a job at first right out of undergrad when moving to a new city (Phoenix) after undergrad. In Phoenix, my first job out of undergrad was in a suburban area far from the main areas where early to mid 20s people were located in considerable numbers. I lived closer to that job to limit my commute. It impacted my quality of life there and got my tenure there off on the wrong foot. It was a contributing factor to why I eventually left, though there were greater factors. I learned from that mistake in Phoenix when I moved to Dallas. I moved to Dallas without a job, and picked a place to live in the central city near the younger populace who were in similar phases of life as I was. I then found jobs around my lifestyle in the central city.

OP is in a tough spot. It depends upon how much he wants that name on his resume. Some of those companies with offices up there are fantastic names to have on a resume. To some extent, even in the optimistic scenario TC80 describes, it is a social life sacrifice to make. It's just not the same as living in the city. I believe the OP is better off nearer to the central city but that commute is going to be arduous and might be out of his comfort threshold. If he wants a shorter commute, it's going to be more difficult to meet single women and make friends. A 6 month lease at Shops of Legacy or adjacent communities or possibly even Austin Ranch could be worth it if he's sold on the opportunity. OP could also pass on this opportunity, stay in San Antonio, and if his heart if set on eventually relocating to Dallas, relocate to Dallas for a job where he could live in a central city area more conducive to his social life.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:51 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,595 times
A longer travel time to night life is much better than a long commute time to work, especially for so.e specifically trying to avoid tolls. There are plenty of young adults in Plano working or in school (which is completely understandably for people 18 to 24 in age) who do not live at home that the OP can be friends with.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
As already suggested, Addison would be a decent self-compromise. It's roughly halfway between the downtown neighborhoods and Legacy/DNT. There's decent nightlife going on at Addison Circle and nearby on Belt Line Road - although the OP may be a little young for the latter - to make it through the week.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Legacy Drive begins at 75 and goes to DNT, eventually curving north when it passes DNT. Many large companies have either HQs or large offices near Legacy and DNT. The probability is that you will be working near Legacy and DNT.

I'm really reticent to make any sort of recommendation to send anyone north of 635 who is single, in their 20s/30s, and new to the city. And even everything south of 635 isn't created equal.

Plano has been a magnet for attracting families for 4 decades. North of Plano is Frisco, which is also familyville, and has been a magnet for families the last 2 decades. Plano and Frisco is a sea of suburbia. This isn't the scene for a 24 year old single guy who will be looking to date new women. A lot of the women are considerably south of where he would be setting up if he rented at Shops of Legacy. At 24/25, he's going to want to date women 18-25. He might be able to catch some women in the bars or during the day around there who still live with their suburban parents, but there's not going to be as many independent 21-25 year old women up there. That's not to mention that even down south he could conceivably be well positioned to tap into the SMU undergrad/grad student population. Also, male friends would be a consideration too. Not as many options there either.

Could someone make it work up there? Possible. Is it an ideal situation? It is not. Might it be worth a 6 month lease? It might be.

One of the major flaws I perceive of this metro area is that there are some really great employers with HQs up in the suburbs, far from the action of the city. It certainly impacts the quality of life of their younger, single, and unattached workers who may new to the city, since often times these big companies are recruiting straight out of undergrad. These people are forced into a decision, sacrifice their social lives for career advancement or make arduous commutes. I would not make the commute from the central city to the Legacy area. This is why I encouraged OP to possibly consider passing on the opportunity.

I followed the advice of focusing on a job at first right out of undergrad when moving to a new city (Phoenix) after undergrad. In Phoenix, my first job out of undergrad was in a suburban area far from the main areas where early to mid 20s people were located in considerable numbers. I lived closer to that job to limit my commute. It impacted my quality of life there and got my tenure there off on the wrong foot. It was a contributing factor to why I eventually left, though there were greater factors. I learned from that mistake in Phoenix when I moved to Dallas. I moved to Dallas without a job, and picked a place to live in the central city near the younger populace who were in similar phases of life as I was. I then found jobs around my lifestyle in the central city.

OP is in a tough spot. It depends upon how much he wants that name on his resume. Some of those companies with offices up there are fantastic names to have on a resume. To some extent, even in the optimistic scenario TC80 describes, it is a social life sacrifice to make. It's just not the same as living in the city. I believe the OP is better off nearer to the central city but that commute is going to be arduous and might be out of his comfort threshold. If he wants a shorter commute, it's going to be more difficult to meet single women and make friends. A 6 month lease at Shops of Legacy or adjacent communities or possibly even Austin Ranch could be worth it if he's sold on the opportunity. OP could also pass on this opportunity, stay in San Antonio, and if his heart if set on eventually relocating to Dallas, relocate to Dallas for a job where he could live in a central city area more conducive to his social life.

I think you have a really outdated perception of Plano. 15 years ago, I was in my 20’s and commuted from Uptown. No one in my office who was single and young lived with 15 miles of the office. Shops at Legacy was under construction. The commute from Uptown via DNT was also a consistent 25 min AM / 35 min PM.

Fast forward to today and over half the recent college grads in my office live within 1-2 miles of the studio. Half the freaking Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader squad lives in Plano and Frisco and those are all young, beautiful single women. The social life in Plano for a single 20-something is probably comparable to what OP currently has in San Antonio, with higher income potential individuals and more career opportunities.

Population-wise, there are 40% more 20-30 year olds in the 5 mile radius around Legacy West than in 75204, the main Uptown zip code. The Plano group is twice as likely to be married (approx 40% vs 20%) and has a higher level of education on average. It’s not like there are 4 single guys and 19 single girls and they’re all ugly and weird. OP will not die in Plano for 1 year - or maybe ever.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
As already suggested, Addison would be a decent self-compromise. It's roughly halfway between the downtown neighborhoods and Legacy/DNT. There's decent nightlife going on at Addison Circle and nearby on Belt Line Road - although the OP may be a little young for the latter - to make it through the week.
I think in 2019, you’re better off picking Plano or Uptown. Addison is a sucky no-man’s land. It’s just a gigantic restaurant row with a decent Whole Foods. No identity, no personality like it had in the 1990’s. It’s just stuck halfway between where people live and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas