Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Front or rear garages - doesn't matter. People drive into them, close the door and are never seen again. My wife and I have get togethers with the neighbors periodically - walking from door to door, handing out invites for "neighbor only" dinner and/or drinks events. Our neighbors say they love the events and would love to do the same... but people are always busy and never seem to do the same. No biggie - we're social - we don't mind hosting.

I like to secretly think that they're so impressed with our home improvement projects that they don't want us to see theirs... LOL! Man, I'm full of myself today.

Brian

Hey, or they are so impressed with your cooking and hosting abilities...

I am a nervous entertainer myself, but when I was first getting up the nerve, we attended two dinner parties in a row that completely sent me back into my shell...8 course meals with menus prepared, private chef, etc

Even if not to that extreme, some people WANT to host but are nervous about doing so, for whatever reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post

I am a nervous entertainer myself, but when I was first getting up the nerve, we attended two dinner parties in a row that completely sent me back into my shell...8 course meals with menus prepared, private chef, etc

Even if not to that extreme, some people WANT to host but are nervous about doing so, for whatever reason...
Wow - 8 course meals with private chef? That's wild. Our "events" are more geared toward the social side of things. The "guys" stand around the grill or everyone is snacking on cheese/crackers (my wife is a cheese nut) and having a few drinks. We keep the dinners relatively simple - which IMO keeps the atmosphere more relaxed. Then we have really good coffee's (with our espresso maker, that always becomes a fun part of the night - people watching and seeing how "real" coffee is made... lol)

It seems like dinner parties are getting more popular - either that, or as I get older, I'm moving into an age that it's more common so it's my perception. Either way - I love it. We have friends coming over in 2 weeks for a breakfast to catch up (they rave about the coffee and even mentioned the breakfast thing once before, which we loved the idea).

One huge side benefit of entertaining... it forces you to keep your house picked up. LOL!!!

Brian
Brian

Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post

But aeh, you live in the Park Cities (right?) - isn't this how things get done there?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Oh darn, so much for my Potted-Meat-and-crackers hor d'oeuvres with Box Wine to suffice. I gotta do better ya'll!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Oh darn, so much for my Potted-Meat-and-crackers hor d'oeuvres with Box Wine to suffice. I gotta do better ya'll!
You mean serving sh*t-on-a-shingle isn't the new rave? Darn, better rework that menu. LOL!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
You mean serving sh*t-on-a-shingle isn't the new rave? Darn, better rework that menu. LOL!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM

126 posts, read 443,385 times
Quote:
Front or rear garages - doesn't matter. People drive into them, close the door and are never seen again. My wife and I have get togethers with the neighbors periodically - walking from door to door, handing out invites for "neighbor only" dinner and/or drinks events. Our neighbors say they love the events and would love to do the same... but people are always busy and never seem to do the same. No biggie - we're social - we don't mind hosting.

I like to secretly think that they're so impressed with our home improvement projects that they don't want us to see theirs... LOL! Man, I'm full of myself today.

Brian
Your neighborhood sounds nice and laid back -- just what we're looking for. What part of Lake Highlands are you in? Are there a lot of young families in your area? I'm still trying to convince my husband that LH is the way to go.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPMom View Post
Your neighborhood sounds nice and laid back -- just what we're looking for. What part of Lake Highlands are you in? Are there a lot of young families in your area? I'm still trying to convince my husband that LH is the way to go.
We're in 75231 area code, Lake Highlands North is our neighborhood. Yes, there seems to be a lot of young families moving in - it's almost as if there is a changing of the guards. Many of the retired folks are beginning to either move or talk about moving to downsize. I think they love LH too much to do so sometimes (and some have told me that straight out). Our across-the-street neighbors just had their first child. Two houses down from them, there's a other family that has a new kid-o. I see lots of strollers of people walking their kids and lots of families walking or riding their bikes. It is my understanding that Merriman Park Elementary just achieved the highest rating.

Prices seem to range from $120-150/sq ft, depending on size and condition of the home. Merriman Park Estates is another neighborhood in 75231. There's a great park that was just renovated on the main street going through it (name escapes me). Both neighborhoods are also walking distance to the new Lake Highlands Town Center which will be open in 2010 and not only have retail/restaurants/residential but also a DART rail.

www.lakehighlandstowncenter.com

Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,362 times
Quote:
No we've moved on. It's grilled spam now, with Mountain Dew, and Twinkies for desert.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 AM

482 posts, read 944,934 times
too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas