Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Oh darn, so much for my Potted-Meat-and-crackers hor d'oeuvres with Box Wine to suffice. I gotta do better ya'll!

http://www.wavsurfer.com/wavs/slingblad/potted.wav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
...In house #2 (front entry) we immediately got to know our neighbors while we were driving past their houses and into our driveway, getting out of the car, yelling hello...
Yeah, but how do you explain the "dancer glitter" you got on you when the neighbors ask?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 111,407 times
We are in an upscale neighborhood in Frisco with front and rear entry. What gets me is that for the most part, the front entry people garage their cars and the rear entry people park on the street in front of their house creating congestion and really clutters the landscape. I presume they use their garages for storage and find the alleys inconvenient. The front entry doors are rough hewn cedar with criss-cross designs and are very attractive.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,786 times
I think this all follows trends. I remember in my parents neighborhood when everyone was installing circular drives, and using their rear entry garages for storage.

Myself I've never understood the horror some people have about parked cars on the street in a residential neighborhood. I mean I get it when you have the neighbor who parks six badly maintained cars, blocking everyone else's house, but I never thought someone parking their one or two cars in front of the house was an eyesore. I guess it comes from spending a large part of my time growing up in neghborhoods that were old enough no one really had a garage. It probably has a lot to do with what we are used to.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I think this all follows trends. I remember in my parents neighborhood when everyone was installing circular drives, and using their rear entry garages for storage.

Myself I've never understood the horror some people have about parked cars on the street in a residential neighborhood. I mean I get it when you have the neighbor who parks six badly maintained cars, blocking everyone else's house, but I never thought someone parking their one or two cars in front of the house was an eyesore. I guess it comes from spending a large part of my time growing up in neghborhoods that were old enough no one really had a garage. It probably has a lot to do with what we are used to.
I don't understand the horror either. I'm another one voting for front entry or detached garages. I have a detached garage but I park my car on the driveway. I think most rear-entry neighborhoods have a less friendly feel, and it does encourage vehicle-related crime. My cousin had her purse and some other things stolen out of her car in her "upscale" neighborhood. Her husband forgot to close the garage, and there's nowhere in the house where you can see that your garage is open. It's easy for thieves to go up and down alleys looking for opportunities and not really be noticed by anybody.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM

24 posts, read 111,407 times
Not a horror but the problem is that they line the streets on both sides and the streets are only 30 feet wide. If you have cars coming down the road from opposite directions, one has look for a spot to pull over and wait for the other one to pass. The other thing is that we are not talking about old vintage neighborhood houses but high-end where people get really anal about the stonework, landscape, castle-like entrances, etc. and you can't see the homes (and especially the landscape) for the cars. HOA gets freaky about weeds, statuary, type of mulch, toys in the yard... but OK with the teen's rusted out, tail-light busted beater.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
The street isn't the jurisdiction of the HOA, unless it's a private street. IMO, tough crap.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
The street isn't the jurisdiction of the HOA, unless it's a private street. IMO, tough crap.

Depends on where you live. Lantana has a huge list of HOA covenants, and one covers parking cars in the street for an extended period - meaning, don't.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Depends on where you live. Lantana has a huge list of HOA covenants, and one covers parking cars in the street for an extended period - meaning, don't.
They can say whatever they want. If it's a public street, they legally can't do a thing.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
You can't park on the street more than 24 hours in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas