Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 55,050 times

Advertisements

Hi:

My husband I just moved to Dallas and we are looking for a townhouse/condo close to UTSW medical center. Two places I like are uptown and oak lawn. Oak lawn is a little bit closer to work but somehow (I do not know why) I have a feeling that it is not as safe as uptown?

There is this townhouse I really like at Throckmorton and Lemmon, do you local experts think it is much less safe than those located close to Cole Park?

Thank you so much for your help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,304 times
I don't know the exact streets in Oak Lawn that well, but you will probably be ok. The Cole Park location is a little better, but you should be ok either way.

The only thing that would concern me is if there are low-rent apartments around there, otherwise you would be fine. Generally, East of Cedar Springs Rd is ok.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:20 PM

thank you so much for the reply, it is a great relief to know that oak lawn is relatively safe, I guess for people like me who moved from a small city to Dallas, safety is always a big concern... I will keep an eye on those apartments though...

Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,304 times
Just to let you know, Dallas, like most big cities still has rampant crime. I live in a decent part of Dallas and there were over 300 reported crimes in my neigbhood last year alone, and it is not a very big neghborhood.

Fortunately, most are non-violent crimes like theft and auto-breakins and the occasional burglary of one's home while they were not there. That is best that you can ask for in Dallas.

Just be smart, lock your doors, don't leave valuables in your car, be aware of your surroundings, and you will be ok.

If you are really concerned, you might want to check out apartments in University Park. There are somewhat affordable duplexes/townhouses for rent near SMU.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasurf View Post
Hi:There is this townhouse I really like at Throckmorton and Lemmon, do you local experts think it is much less safe than those located close to Cole Park?
Lisa, I've been up and down Throckmorton hundreds of times, daytime, nightime lunchtime, most anytime both by auto and on foot. I used to live on Holland Ave just a half block off Throckmorton and have walked my dog over the entire area, daytime and nighttime, sometimes after midnite. If you're on the north side of Lemmon then the t/homes would be behind the Taco Bueno or across the street from those. These are fairly new construction, within the last 2 to 5 years. I always thought Holland to be the nicest street in Oak Lawn but Bowser does have good appeal.

The neighborhood on the north side of Lemmon for those 'in the know' is called north Oak Lawn. I guess to separate from the rest of Oak Lawn or to associate with Highland Park at the north end of Throckmorton.

I wouldn't think the OakLawn would be any less safe than the Cole Park area. Both areas are trending upscale from periods of disrepair but may attract slightly different lifestyles. While OakLawn does attract the diverse crowd the Cole Park area attracts something more hetero in intent. Bear in mind, I criticize others for defining OakLawn as gay since it is becoming more upscale than gay. As in any big city, just keep your ground floor windows and doors secure.

I've been away from the area for a little over a year but if I had to do over again I'd choose that area between Lemmon and Highland Park, though I would head more in the Hawthorne St direction. You will experience through traffic on Throckmorton as it is a convenient thru street to more of north OakLawn. Streets in the Cole Park area also are convenient thru streets.

A bonus to the OakLawn location is just across Lemmon is EatZi's for take out food and just down Lemmon towards Oak Lawn Blvd is LaMadeleine for a french atmosphere... sort of. There are homeless people who wander about, mostly in the alleys but they pose little danger. And if you have clothes or things to dispose of, they will disappear from the alley in a matter of hours.

Last edited by WillysB; 10-28-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM

WillysB: thank you so much for the detailed info... it is really useful because there are more eligible houses in the oak lawn area than in uptown...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Lisa, are you looking for one of the new construction townhomes or more of a duplex home? Do search the entire area, all the way up Throckmorton to Hawthorne, take Hawthorne which will curve around to Bowser. There are three streets that do that, Hawthorne, Preston and Hershcel. Those three streets are chock full of duplex homes as well as new construction. I've also lived in that area with same dog, same walks. You certainly should find something appealing. Even on the other side of Lemmon but you probly don't want to cross Cedar Springs or go much further towards the med center... at least not yet.

I think that Hawthorne/Preston/Hershcel area is the most appealing inner city area in all of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas