Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 23,206 times

Advertisements

Memories... ok.. surprised no one has mentioned Studebakers..

I was driving through the parking lot one night BEFORE they had officially opened the place and they were working still remodeling and had the sound system blasting with the front doors open.

I parked and went inside to look around. I sat down on a sofa back by the Stude (that was there buffet) and a guy comes up to me and says "sir we are not open yet".

I said I know but I just found my new home!

YEARS later one night they had a very arrogant valet that always tried to cause me problems... I didn't allow them to park my car and would always park on the curb out front (legally)... this one night he told me I couldn't park there and if I did he would have it towed. Knowing it was legal I told him to park it and he puts his arm up to the door to bock my entrance.

Having enough of him over time I just hit his arm with my hand and he literally spun around like a top.. it was rather funny because I was anything BUT an aggressive person... I walked to the bar as I heard him calling for a manager.

I felt (and heard him) and the manager and thinking I was getting ready to be thrown out I turned around.

It was not only the manager but part owner and he looks at me and says "Oh it's you" and he turns to the valet and says... "Listen this guy has been coming here since BEFORE we were open! Don't give him any crap ok?"

wow... It was the same guy that had I met the night I was sitting on the sofa. And he remembered? I didn't!

he later was a manager at Hard Rock Cafe and then a partner in Truluck's and I think some other restaurant ventures.

Great Guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times
came across this a few minutes ago, lived in dallas from 79-91 these places being discussed here sure do bring back a lot of good times ...been seriously thinking of moving back to north tx area...

Old 04-25-2016, 12:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times
anyone remember a little bar called court 5 in an apartment complex off holly hill drive in north dallas, it was a small place with live music on the weekends, but I remember several times players from the cowboys would come in on the weekends. I know it's gone now, even the apartments are gone as far I can tell from google maps.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Court 5! My band played there a number of times in the early 80s. Good times.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 PM

26 posts, read 26,113 times
This thread is so long, it may have already been mentioned, but - European Crossroads.

I recall when it first opened, and was kind of a big deal, or at least seemed so at the time. And that part of Dallas wasn't as risky as it became.

If memory serves, there was a pizza place called Shotgun Sam's around there too.

There was also Steak and Ale. I recently was in a Steak and Ale building that has been taken over by a Subway Sandwiches. Still has the layout of a Steak and Ale, nothing has been changed, only it is occupied by a Subway. It was/is very odd, but also humorous. There are rooms with couches you can eat in, and of course, they are all spread out. If you're ever by Six Flags, you can see it for your self. It's right there on the left as you head to Six Flags away from 360.

I recall a novel sort of ice cream shop inside of Valley View mall, it was very 1910/1920's style. I think by the early eighties, it was gone. Can't recall the name.

How many recall Seven Seas over by Six Flags?

It's really mind boggling to me how much has come and gone in DFW since the early 1970's. And what makes that even more interesting, at least to me, are those pockets where seem to have changed little, if at all. I went through Irving for the first time in over fifteen years, and was surprised, pleasantly to see areas that seem untouched since I was running around there in the mid 80's, and even then it seemed like time hadn't touched it. I've seen other areas like that, but can't recall exactly where they were just now.

Forest Lane on the other hand is on it's way to becoming unrecognizable to me.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
Default It was called

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I remember seeing that place, I was in the Meadows building a lot, but never had a desire to go there.

It was called The Rib

Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneh2o View Post
It was called The Rib
When I saw it, it was Mr. Chicken. The last place I had ribs on Greenville Ave. was at The Railhead.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,870 times
Default Railhead

Ahh the Railhead. Enjoyed many a 3 Martini lunch there and great ribs and steaks back in mid '70s. I remember a Crack the Safe game on the wall at the bar entrance. We figured it out and received many free drink tokens, much fun.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 PM

188 posts, read 230,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
I recall a novelty sort of ice cream shop inside of Valley View mall, it was very 1910/1920's style. I think by the early eighties, it was gone. Can't recall the name.
Farrell's http://www.happyitis.biz/Locations/h...clocations.htm

Old 05-23-2016, 01:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
Loved Farrells. My parents took me and friends for my birthday a couple of years. They had a huge sundae that we would all dig into. It was a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas