Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,834 times

Advertisements

Where has Aldi built so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 AM

636 posts, read 1,918,003 times
Hate to be the sole dissenter in this little lovefest here, but I don't get it. Trader Joe's is the most overrated store in the history of retail marketing. If you like nut-crusted sun dried free range chile flavored ice cream, and a million varieties of hummus, and if it's vitally important to you that the chickens that lay your eggs weren't in cages, it's your store. Easy to see why it's all the rage in California... There are plenty of markets around here that beat them hands down.

Aldi? Are you kidding me? That place makes Food Lion look like a quality grocery store. I guess I'd go there if I was on food stamps and couldn't find anything to steal.

I always have to chuckle when I hear the wailing of the transplants to bring on the establishments "that we had back home". So often they don't even compare with what's already here. The best example is Steak n Shake; you would have thought they were the second coming of Christ from all of the Michigan-accented oohs and ahhs I heard. I tried them a couple of times: meh; mediocre, at best. Two weeks after they were here, the 30 minute line of cars at the drive-through turned into no line at all.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,535,380 times
I'm sorry you don't like the store, but it is perfectly valid for people who like stores they used to enjoy patronizing to be excited when those stores open/might open in their new hometown.

Wishing for Trader Joe's.. or In'N'Out.. etc etc is NOT an indictment on Texas and I don't think it is necessary to be pejorative about those that prefer some non-locally grown stores.

I don't like Steak and Shake either, but that doesn't mean that Whattaburger is a superior restaurant. It's just what you grew up on that seems best, it's human nature. To me, both of those places are disgusting because I grew up on neither!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM

No need to get defensive; I didn't say it was an indictment of Texas, nor did I make disparaging remarks about anyone. I said that "I don't get it", and stated my opinion that so often the latest craze is overrated. Settle down.

I could care less if something is locally grown or not, if it's good. But in my opinion, Joe's and Aldi are nowhere close to good. They are incredibly hyped, and terribly overrated.

It's just wonderful that you like them, but it's also okay for me to disagree. OK?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,383,626 times
For me, it's not an infatuation. I like when another popular chain store comes to a metro area. It tends to force all competitors to keep prices in check and up their merchandise quality and selection. TJ's and Aldi's are no doubt overhyped, but it will be a benefit to all DFW shoppers when they set up shop here.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Very good point.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,834 times
Tycobb,
Obviously you haven't been in an Aldi store for a LONG time. My husband works for Aldi, and by far it's the best place to save $, especially on staples. It has come a long way, and in this economy, it's a God send to those that need to save.

I encourage you to try it when it's in your area.....then you can make a judgement statement.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmi View Post
Tycobb,
Obviously you haven't been in an Aldi store for a LONG time. My husband works for Aldi, and by far it's the best place to save $, especially on staples. It has come a long way, and in this economy, it's a God send to those that need to save.

I encourage you to try it when it's in your area.....then you can make a judgement statement.
tntmi - Thanks for telling me when I can make a judgement statement, but actually, I can make one any time I please. If by "LONG time" you mean last year, then yes, it's been a long time. Without going into too much detail, I spoke with a representative of Aldi last year, and thought that it might be a development opportunity. I flew up to Broken Bow for a little 3 day vacation, and looked at several stores. In my opinion, they suck. My comparison to Food Lion was generous.

Yes, there may be places in the Dallas area where they might be a good fit; not any place I would go... They are the 99 cent store of supermarkets. In my opinion, most people that like Sack and Save would be disappointed with Aldi.

Just for fun, I did a little searching on C-D to see if I am the only one with this opinion. Some of the comments were: "felt like shopping in a communist bloc country", "the smell would make you gag", "only foreigners and old people in there", "food was inedible", "produce was sketchy", "gave everything we bought to the Thanksgiving food drive because we refused to eat any more of it", etc.

My question to you is: If your husband works for Aldi, why would your post on 2/18 ask where they have built so far? Bumping the thread for a little free advertising on C-D perhaps?

Last edited by tycobb2522; 02-20-2009 at 06:05 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 10:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,955,228 times
Since I've never experienced Trader Joe's please tell me why it is so popular?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,537,550 times
Mod note: Please feel free to debate the topic at hand but not each other. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas