Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 41,296 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating from Boston to the Plano area early this year. I am wondering how "gay friendly" the Plano/Dallas areas are? Are there any particular areas I should stay away from? I am very open minded big city type of girl so I'm looking for a similar environment.... Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,192 times
yes, there is a very gay friendly area near Plano, it's called Dallas Honestly though you should be fine there. To be honest I myself have never experienced and negativity or homophobia for being gay. Most people here are pretty cool and have a more live and let live sort of attitude. Plano itself though is a lil more on the less progressive side as opposed to say Dallas or any other major city, but like I was saying you should be fine. But don't expect to see any gay pride parades there or local gay hang outs. Anything like that you'd have to go to Dallas for, which isn't far away at all.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 41,296 times
Ok Thanks for the info!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,503 times
I live in Plano and Im perfectly OK with gay people. Its not like your house has to have a sign in frotn fo it saying your gay or anything. You'll like Plano.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
Yeah what Dave says. If you live on a busy thoroughfare and drape a huge gay pride banner across your house, you might raise the ire of a passing nut. But if you live quietly in your home and don't make a spectacle of yourself, chances are stormtroopers will not bash down your door.

That said, keep in mind Plano very red.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,255 times
Are there any particular areas I should stay away from?
Yes, Plano.

People in DFW are rather flexible. Its not like they will arrest you for being gay. However, having worked in Plano and Carrollton in the past, I would not like to live nor work in the suburbs. They are (as they are anywhere else in the nation) full of families and less open to us. They will not be comfortable around you and you will feel like an outsider. I always tell new comers to Dallas to live within the 635 ring and north of downtown. Its another world. There is a higher concentration of gay folks, democrats/liberals, higher income/more educated people and its just a more accepting part of the city.

Welcome to Dallas!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Are there any particular areas I should stay away from?
Yes, Plano.

People in DFW are rather flexible. Its not like they will arrest you for being gay. However, having worked in Plano and Carrollton in the past, I would not like to live nor work in the suburbs. They are (as they are anywhere else in the nation) full of families and less open to us. They will not be comfortable around you and you will feel like an outsider. I always tell new comers to Dallas to live within the 635 ring and north of downtown. Its another world. There is a higher concentration of gay folks, democrats/liberals, higher income/more educated people and its just a more accepting part of the city.

Welcome to Dallas!
You can't make generalizations like that. I have a baby girl that is due in April. We have a family and my wife is best friends with a lesbian woman. And we are also good friends with a gay man that she works. And we live in Plano.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:48 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
You can't make generalizations like that. I have a baby girl that is due in April. We have a family and my wife is best friends with a lesbian woman. And we are also good friends with a gay man that she works. And we live in Plano.
Do your gay friends also live in Plano?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,425 times
Default Re:

I live in Plano, in a development that's half patio homes. Among those homes, there are quite a few gay folks, both singles and couples.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:12 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,026,504 times
Nothing wrong with living in Plano but if your looking for nightlife I would not chose any burb. Living in the city proper would be the way to go. If your settled and want a quiet life Plano will be fine. You will have some people who will disagree with your lifestyle but for the most part no one cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas